PDA

View Full Version : McMaster Carr

Menessis
03-09-2015, 08:11 PM
McMaster Carr will not ship to me in Canada. OK. So I emailed them back on the weekend and asked if I place an order can I have it shipped to a friends in the US.

I was told they would not deal with me because I an not a business.

So is this true? How many of you guys here are ordering things from them? Is everyone in business?

Just wondering at this point.

Menessis

lakeside53
03-09-2015, 09:06 PM
Nope, we are not. Maybe it's a requirement 'cos you are outside the USA and using a non-usa credit card etc.

1-800miner
03-09-2015, 09:19 PM
Tell them you are a business,they don't check.
I do it all the time.
When I go to Graingers, they ask what company I am with.
I rattle off any company name that comes to mind.
Many times there was another customer in line wearing a company shirt. I just point to the customer and say "that company".

daveo
03-09-2015, 09:22 PM
When I registered, I just business name "Daves":D

TGTool
03-09-2015, 09:24 PM
If you've got a process lined up with a friend in the US, you might just try placing the order over the web and either ignoring the company name, which I don't think is a required entry, or make up one of your own. Then make the ship to address the one for your friend. It should allow you a different ship to address and so long as the bill to address matches the credit card information it might go through.

There's a subtly different hurdle for them if they have a complete order with accompanying payment to which they would have to say NO, compared to the question of "IF I order from you would you ship?"

SGW
03-09-2015, 09:27 PM
I order from them fairly frequently and I don't think I ever claimed to be a business.

Dozerbuilder01
03-09-2015, 09:31 PM
I order from there all the time. No business. I think I made up something in the company field but they've never asked about it. I'm lucky enough that I drive past their Chicagoland location on my way home from work. I just pick up my order at the will call window. That's probably a bad thing though because I've spent a lot of money there.

Ohio Mike
03-09-2015, 09:34 PM
Yep, just used my name and paid with a charge card.

PS If you haven't seen it they have a really awesome app for Android/Apple tablets. :cool:

Paul Alciatore
03-09-2015, 09:45 PM
You must have sold something or charged something to make something sometime in your life. You are a business.

Just make up a name and give it to them. Pay with a credit card. You can get one with the business name on it just by applying if your credit is OK.

J Tiers
03-09-2015, 09:49 PM
Grainger has been known to ask for your sales tax number, which instantly separates the businesses from the non-businesses, who don't have one.

If you TALK TO McMaster, or nearly anyone else of that type, they will ask you the questions. Do on-line, pay with CC, no questions, it just happens.

lakeside53
03-09-2015, 10:08 PM
Get a US address credit card... or use a friends card and ship-to address.

Menessis
03-09-2015, 11:33 PM
I have got some stuff from them in the past. I already have an account there. I forget how I got to the part of them not shipping to me. I am in business as a contractor though LOL.

Any Canadians getting orders delivered?

I will go ahead and just try to make an order and see what happens I think. I have one more place to check with in Canada first though.

Menessis

PStechPaul
03-10-2015, 12:55 AM
I've had a business set up as an S-Corp since 1989, so I've never had any problems. I have an open credit account at Grainger and Newark Electronics, but I don't order from them very often, and it's easier to use a credit card.

McMaster has amazing shipping, and if it's in stock in their NJ warehouse, I can order late night/early morning, and I have it at my door by noon of the next day. My latest order included some fairly heavy lengths of metal and everything came packed in a long cardboard box, for about $9 shipping. When I placed an order from Enco (which seems to have shipped from MSC), it came in five different packages, and one item, a little fishtail gauge that would have fit in a letter envelope, came packed in a 6" box via UPS. Shipping was free, but it must have cost them at least $6 for each of the packages, and the order was only $70 or so. I think some of the big companies must get much better deals from UPS than the average Joe or even small companies.

What's most amazing is the free shipping from China for items as low as $1. ;)

adatesman
03-10-2015, 08:42 AM
Careful with made up business names and McMaster.... It can cause all sorts of problems with refunds if they can't credit your card and have to cut a check. My card got stolen, so it got cancelled and a new one issued. As a result McMaster had to cut me a check, but would only do it in the company name. Took 2 weeks and quite a few phone calls to straighten out, and escalated pretty far up their accounting department.

fjk
03-10-2015, 09:42 AM
In the US ...

I've used McMaster several times, never claimed to be a business, never a problem.

Many years ago I tried Grainger at one of their shops. They asked "what company" and I said none... They said they only sell to businesses... A year or so, I tried them again ... I'd heard someplace that they got rid of that policy and would now sell to anyone. It was an on-line sale. The web site had a place to enter a business name & PO number and all that ... I left them blank. No problems.

Outside the US ... YMMV

Frank

sch
03-10-2015, 09:50 AM
The legend is that McMaster had to pay a fine of $8000 for violations of out of country shipping regulations about 10 yrs ago and decided at that time that it was more trouble than it was worth to continue. Hence the cut-off to Canadian customers, though they do still ship to long standing large accounts in Canada. Private individuals in the US can deal with them
very easily, they are my first go to when I look for something industrial, because there product quality is very high, though they price themselves out frequently, but you know what you are getting.
So outside the US, McMaster is not really available as a resource.

A quick google did not turn up the news report documenting the fine, perhaps someone with the right search phrase will post it. Brief Wiki mention of prohibited sales to middle eastern gulf states in 2003.....

Paul Alciatore
03-10-2015, 03:14 PM
You can get a tax number by just requesting one also. If I recall correctly, all you need is business name, address, your name, and probably a SS number. Painless process and no cost.

Sum total: I have a business name, PAE. I have a business credit card. I just applied for it. If you have good credit, the banks will fight to give you one. I have a tax number, again I just applied for it. AND I have a completely free business checking account at my bank. Oh, and I have a DUNs number. Again, you just apply for it. They will try to upgrade you for $$$s but I just say no.

ALL of the above costs me nothing except my time. No initial cost. No recurring cost. The first potential cost that I see is for printed deposit slips and checks, but so far I have avoided even that. Sooner or later I guess I will have to pay Wal-Mart or another on-line check service for a pile of checks and deposit tickets.

I do sell things, but not so much to date. I have high hopes and am working on that.

Oh, by the way, I do take a reasonable amount of business related expenses on my income tax. I guess that helps offset the time I have put into the mechanics of setting up a legit business. I do not take any questionable deductions, like a home office or even truck mileage. Just stuff that I have actual receipts for. And probably less than what I could use, but I am not greedy.

The only cost that I have not been able to avoid in setting up a legit business was the registration at the local county courthouse. They did want a fee, but it was nominal, about $25. Fair Enough. And that is not really needed just to satisfy someone like McMaster.

Frankly, I have had more problems purchasing from some local suppliers, like appliance parts places, than from McMaster or any other national source. Those local guys seem to feel it is their mission in life to protect the local trade.

Grainger has been known to ask for your sales tax number, which instantly separates the businesses from the non-businesses, who don't have one.

If you TALK TO McMaster, or nearly anyone else of that type, they will ask you the questions. Do on-line, pay with CC, no questions, it just happens.

JRouche
03-10-2015, 03:58 PM
I have a DBA license but never had to supply them with any of my info... They are a lil expensive, but have everything. They are comp. in cost to grainger, who I dont really use anymore.. JR

GEP
03-10-2015, 05:16 PM
I have orderd from McMaster many times and all ways ordred in my name only never had any problems. In most cases they want a sales tax number witch i have but never used it with McMaster. If you like i will orer it for you and send it to you, you can just paypal me the money.
As far as Grainger i bought form them but they are kinda pricy. Go to Zoro tools that is a Grainger company with lower prices

TGTool
03-10-2015, 05:18 PM
The only cost that I have not been able to avoid in setting up a legit business was the registration at the local county courthouse. They did want a fee, but it was nominal, about $25. Fair Enough. And that is not really needed just to satisfy someone like McMaster.

Does TX require you to collect sales tax then? That has been the PITA in some other places. You have to charge it, file forms, send in the money. The phrase in their boilerplate that always hung me up was "The statement by the tax department that tax has not been paid or improperly paid is prima facie evidence thereof." In other words, if they say you screwed up, you screwed up and their statement was the proof. They never invoked it but it always made me edgy.

Frank K
03-11-2015, 03:51 PM

Around here, Grainger has been advertising in the local papers for customers. Apparently they've discovered that Joe Smith's money is just as good as Smith Ltd's money.

sarge41
03-11-2015, 05:36 PM
Years ago, I called Mcmaster-Carr to set up an account because I was starting my shop at home. I had the bad luck for some asshole at Mcmaster to answer the phone. He talked to me like I was I was an idiot, then he hung up on me. I then called MSC and was treated very nicely. I've done business with them for over twenty some years, never disappointed, always got good service. I recommend MSC because of this.

Sarge

garyhlucas
03-11-2015, 08:43 PM
Sarge,
Yours is the first story I have heard like that about McMaster. I have been buying from them steadily for over 35 years now. Currently I place one or more orders every day of the week. I also live right down the street. When I travel I often ask the person at McMaster what the weather is like currently etc. and they are really nice. I also go in to will call every couple of weeks and pick stuff up so I know some of people face to face. Now you can bugger Graingers for me, I do hate those idiots.

wierdscience
03-11-2015, 10:26 PM
Around here, Grainger has been advertising in the local papers for customers. Apparently they've discovered that Joe Smith's money is just as good as Smith Ltd's money.

That and Grainger's prices have gotten obscene,I find McMaster to be cheaper on 90% of what I buy.Plus from dealing with both companies at work,McMaster is always on the ball while Grainger consistently screws up the paperwork/shipping.

Rustybolt
03-12-2015, 06:39 AM
McMaster has amazing shipping, and if it's in stock in their NJ warehouse, I can order late night/early morning, and I have it at my door by noon of the next day.

Here at the Chicago warehouse-Elmhurst- If you order before 10:00 AM they courrier it out to you. Theres a 10 or 15 mile radius limit, but you get it the same day.Usually before noon.

Rosco-P
03-12-2015, 11:33 AM
That and Grainger's prices have gotten obscene,I find McMaster to be cheaper on 90% of what I buy.Plus from dealing with both companies at work,McMaster is always on the ball while Grainger consistently screws up the paperwork/shipping.

Grainger's price is supposedly based on their rating of you. Something like the more you purchase annually, the larger the discount off list. I avoid Grainger, unless it's something with their Dayton brand I need to repair or replace.

lakeside53
03-12-2015, 12:41 PM
I use Grainger when I need something "now" or it's some wacky thing only they have. But for a lot of stuff , I can get Amazon to delivery the same day for $9 (has to be in-stock at their local gigantic fulfillment facility); I can't drive to pick it up for that price. If not local and I can wait, tomorrow will cost me $15 or so, or if it's listed as "prime" free for 2 day. Heck, they even deliver "prime" items on Sunday for free.

ckelloug
03-12-2015, 01:41 PM
I'm in Huntsville, AL. McMaster ships from their Atlanta warehouse UPS ground and I get it the next day unless there is a weather problem that shuts down UPS. From things I've been able to check, Mcmaster might be 10% higher on price on many items. On the other hand, they are also cheaper on a lot of stuff like PeeDee thread wires. I'm running a startup company these days and knowing that the part will come tomorrow and be of high enough quality to use is so much more valuable than trying to pick a supplier on price. None of the local suppliers stock anything of significance here so. . . The day before yesterday, I ordered 3 different kinds of 6/32 taps for a project in stainless: thread forming, high performance and standard. Find another supplier that has that many taps in stock and can have them to you tomorrow if you get the order in by about 7:00pm.

R.Bolte.Jr
03-12-2015, 07:32 PM
Add me to the McMaster bandwagon.
I order from them a few times a month, for work and home projects.
Always awesome service, most of the stuff I get from them comes out of the Chicago office, if I order early enough in the day, it gets here next day via UPS ground.
One time they went ahead and shipped my order even though my credit card was declined. A pleasant phone call a few days later cleared up the credit card. That kind of stuff is worth my loyalty.

-Ron