PDA

View Full Version : Software licenses..... maybe a bit OT

DR
03-11-2015, 11:15 AM
Looking on ebay for a legal copy of Corel Draw I see an ad for the X6 version at around twenty bucks. The ad shows the box the software comes in when sold to full retail customers.

When you read the fine print it turns out the seller is only selling a license or registration number (or whatever you call those). No CD's, no box.
Seller says to download the software and activate with the numbers he sells you. You can download a demo version of the program, so I suppose that's when you activate with the numbers.

Seller claims to be authorized to sell these. But, the full version costs close to a thousand bucks and he's offering his stuff for around twenty bucks.

Any idea if this is all on the up and up, legal?

dp
03-11-2015, 03:26 PM
If it sounds too good to be true...

For Mac folks looking for a nice vector graphics app, have a look at Affinity Designer. I liked it enough to buy it.

Frank K
03-11-2015, 04:11 PM
A REAL single user license for CorelDraw X6 goes for about 750 bucks. In all probability what the seller has is a corporate license key that allows multiple copies to be installed. It could be expired or maxed out. If you can find yourself a real honest to goodness college student with a student ID you can get an academic license for around a hundred bucks.

The Artful Bodger
03-11-2015, 06:39 PM
I suppose it is possible that the vendor bought CorelDraw X6 but does not want it any more so is selling his licence by selling the key?

dp
03-11-2015, 07:01 PM
But you really don't own it if you can't get support/upgrades. Without that any software is automatically end-of-life on day one. Still pretty cheap if it is legit, but if they send the download link to the previous owner you may not be able to get the distribution for the key.

Sign up for a computer graphics class and buy the student version at a deep discount. It's a good time to hurry doing that because so many vendors are going to the cloud and charging a monthly use fee.

macona
03-11-2015, 07:20 PM
You can get old legit versions of software on ebay. Coreldraw and Turbocad can be had cheap for version a rev or two back.

chrisinestes
03-11-2015, 07:56 PM
Just in case you aren't aware... There are open source (free) graphics programs out there that are pretty good. Inkscape for vector art, and Gimp for photo work. Those are the 2 I know of, there are probably more.

I found this on Amazon: Home/Student Corel X7 for $70.00. Disclaimer... I know nothing about what that license allows. http://www.amazon.com/CorelDRAW-Home-Student-Suite-Download/dp/B00M9J3IOA/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1426117755&sr=8-8&keywords=coreldraw+graphics+suite+x6

Chris

J Tiers
03-11-2015, 08:15 PM
G-imp isn't bad, but it seems limited. And it isn't Coreldraw, which is a very standard program for many businesses.

As for the licences, The offer is obviously "with stings attached", and they may turn out to be hawsers.

Many programs are non-transferable. You cannot sell them to anyone else. If you DO, the purchaser can sometimes use them, but if for any reason the company has to be contacted, it is likely to be game over. I know someone (not me, not any relative) who got a well known CAD program when they bought a computer. It was actually part of what they bought. Problem is, it isn't licensed, and can't be licensed without buying it in its (quite expensive) entirety.

So using it is risky, in that some fine day the program may no longer work, potentially trashing all the work you did with it. Or you may have to pay a fine for using pirated software. The fine is generally the purchase price at full retail, plus 3x the retail price added-on as a penalty. Total, 4x the price to buy it legally.

CCWKen
03-11-2015, 08:23 PM
There's a well known crack for CorelDraw. That's probably what the seller has. It's still illegal and you don't receive a license to use the software so you're committing fraud also.

Jon Heron
03-11-2015, 08:31 PM
G-imp isn't bad, but it seems limited. How so?

And it isn't Coreldraw Thats a good thing IMO. In what business application would you have to exclusively use CorelDraw?
Here is an interesting comparison;
http://photo-graphics.softwareinsider.com/compare/7-18/GIMP-vs-CorelDRAW-Graphics-Suite
The vector graphics are not addressed in Gimp as there is already a great GNU program for them, Inkscape.
Cheers,
Jon

Axkiker
03-11-2015, 08:44 PM
If there are older versions of Corel sold for less than 100 ill be all over it.. Im a HUGE Corel fan and if I can get a version or two older and a legit key for under 100 im sold.. Corel has always been my favorite graphics program. Its what I learned on so im a little biased.

J Tiers
03-11-2015, 09:41 PM
Thats a good thing IMO. In what business application would you have to exclusively use CorelDraw?

We have vendors whose printing or labelmaking equipment uses Coreldraw exclusively for input. At least that is what they state. I have never investigated it because I only want the result, I don't care about the process.

As for what's limited, there are things that photoshop (which I have never used) seem to be able to do that G-imp just doesn't. ability to apply a process to all of a certain color area, etc. I don't recall all of what I have wanted to do, but been unable to do, and then someone with photoshop did it in 2 minutes without seeming to try hard.

Maybe I don't have the proper add-ins, or don't know how to use them. You'll have, of course, noted that I said "seems to be", not an unconditional "is".

dp
03-11-2015, 10:56 PM
I've had the Gimp for Unix and Linux, OS/2, Windows and Mac OSX and after 15 years of working with it I never warmed up to it. I preferred Micrografx Designer to CorelDraw back in the early daze of Windows (and it ran very well in a Windows virtual machine under OS/2) and I've never liked a product that much since. Photoshop is an incredible product from a really crappy vendor. Same with Lightroom. Amazing what you can do with photographs with those two products. VERY expensive, though. In the Adobe CS6 package they include Illustrator with has a long background as an also-ran to CorelDraw and Designer but it does an ok job. My interest has always been 2D drawing. Every time I get into 3D CAD I can't ever seem to make any two objects touch. I have no concept of an origin in 3D :)

I've been using RhinoCad for Mac OSX for several years and can modify existing drawings fine. It has been a free package all this time because it is still being developed and made available as a beta. It works damn well, though. If it ever goes gold there goes my only likeable 3D package. http://www.rhino3d.com/mac

tmarks11
03-11-2015, 11:40 PM
What are you looking to use the graphics program for?

I am forced to use Corel Draw X6 at work (as it is just about the only thing we have).

It is a poor substitute for a real CAD program, which can be found in all ranges from free to $$$. And the very expensive ones can be had for free if you meet the right qualifications (educational, veteran, hobbyist, etc).

J Tiers
03-12-2015, 08:33 AM
I've had the Gimp for Unix and Linux, OS/2, Windows and Mac OSX and after 15 years of working with it I never warmed up to it.

I totally understand. I can make it do some things, because it's what I have. But I don't really understand it as a tool even after using it off and on for probably 10 years.

Every time I get into 3D CAD I can't ever seem to make any two objects touch. I have no concept of an origin in 3D :)

An origin really isn't required.... just a starting point. Youy put one "part" in place and (preferably) attach it to the co-ordinate system.

After that, the other parts are relative to it. So far from this surface, so far from that one, etc.

There are some real purists who deny that approach, instead wanting everything to be located at a predefined set of distances from an origin point. They are few, and I don't know that many of them actually USE 3D CAD. I know of nobody who actually does that for everything.

On MAY do that for certain critical items, because it can allow dealing with tolerances more easily in those cases. Maybe crankshaft and head, camshaft, etc. Or large sub-assemblies, perhaps. One would most likely set up a set of subsidiary axes and planes and actually locate the parts on them.

But to calculate and then specify a set of co-ordinates from the origin for each and every part? I have never heard of anyone doing that for any purpose "we" (or most anyone else) would want.

This is really a subject for a different thread. If you would like to start one, I am certain that those of us who use 3D CAD regularly would be happy to help you out.

loose nut
03-12-2015, 10:00 AM
There are some real purists who deny that approach, instead wanting everything to be located at a predefined set of distances from an origin point. They are few, and I don't know that many of them actually USE 3D CAD. I know of nobody who actually does that for everything.

But to calculate and then specify a set of co-ordinates from the origin for each and every part? I have never heard of anyone doing that for any purpose "we" (or most anyone else) would want.

I don't know what these purist hope to do, at least for parametric modelers. Maybe they don't know how 3D works as you said.

You place a part in an assembly and then sketch a second, third etc. in relation to it and it is constrained to the previous part/s. Another way is to draw your parts separately and then import them into a assembly (bottom up design) and constrain them in place. How could you do any of that while orienting them to a common origin. It would defeat the ability of the program to make cascade adjustments to the associated parts. Parametric 3D modelers need to have relative placement between parts to work right.

P.S. neither Corel draw or Rhino are cad programs although they get used for that but why not use a real cad program.

DR
03-12-2015, 10:27 AM
Explanation....

I want Corel Draw for the bitmap tracing. I bought a used copy of X3, all legal, seller verified thru Corel.

Unfortunately that version only has outline tracing, the newer versions have centerline tracing which is what I want to create DXF from line drawings.

I have several dedicated raster to vector programs. In some cases Corel does a better job.

Inkscape is a free program with tracing ability, only outline though. Like many programs the output is in millions of short line segments which is not so easy to modify or use in CAM for CNC'ing.

dp
03-12-2015, 01:50 PM
You can do that on line here: http://vectormagic.com/home

DR
03-12-2015, 02:53 PM
You can do that on line here: http://vectormagic.com/home

Yep, I just saw that yesterday. The Online service doesn't do DXF.

The desktop version appears to be the only way to do DXF. $300, that's not totally out of the question. I have a message in to them asking about the DXF output. Looking at some of their sample output converting logos they don't seem to have circle and arc recognition which means super high numbers short line segments. Those can be loaded into my CAD to convert to arcs except the simple example I tried bogged down my CAD system's processor with 20,000+ entities.

If we can believe what they show, their conversion algorithms look to be some of the best I've seen.

One slight caution though, the company is pretty hard nosed about guaranteeing their software will perform, you buy it and no returns.