PDA

View Full Version : God's country

darryl
06-09-2004, 02:54 AM
A family matter had me rushing a trip to Prince George and back this past weekend. It rained pretty good during saturday night/sunday, and the air was left very clean and fresh. On my way back, I couldn't help but notice how green the rolling hills were, and how beautiful the setting sun made the landscape look. I could see further than I have seen for years, without the haze that I've gotten used to where I live in Chilliwack. The sunset seemed to go on for hours. What a beautiful part of the world to live in.

Evan
06-09-2004, 03:42 AM
Darryl,

It wasn't quite like that until the rains we had the last week and a half. But, now is it beautiful and green. You should have stopped by for a visit. Let me know the next time you come up this way. Boy, do I ever have a lot of grass to cut. Anyone have plans for a laser lawnmower?

Mike W
06-09-2004, 06:14 AM
Lol, you guys would like living in the desert. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

coles-webb
06-09-2004, 07:03 AM
I moved from Victoria, BC (Sidney actually) last year to Ontario and miss it alot. It was 30 degrees C. last night and humid at 9 pm. It is not going to be a good summer. I can't wait to move back there.

Mike

cfoster
06-09-2004, 08:51 AM
Northern Michigan is one of the most beautiful places in the world, if you like the sight of snow-capped hills and blanketed forests. Summers are awesome. Temperatures in the high seventies, clean air rolling from the U.P. and Canada. If your a sportsman, make your way here, because there is game for every type of hunter, whether you use a firearm or not. Once killed a Michigan Black bear with my car. Parts of Southern Florida are beautiful too. I used to work at a machine shop in west palm, and on the way home in the morning (we had to cross a bridge over a strait), we'd occasionaly see dolphins jumping below. Food for the soul.

[This message has been edited by cfoster (edited 06-09-2004).]

ibewgypsie
06-09-2004, 10:35 AM
I was offered a tech job in Michigan. The pay was 4x what I make here on the hour, and a full time job.

Carrol explained to me what Lake effect snow is.

I love the outdoors, have been frostbit while riding the harley down here. The doctors had never seen it before at the emergency room. They had to look in a book to see how to treat it.

I'm staying south, where we have at least 6months to ride, play outside. People become acclimated to thier weather. I'm too old for change.

On the down side, I remember sitting at a traffic light with sweat dripping off my nose and each elbow. I found a nice air conditioned bar till sundown. That Vee twin heater was just a little much that day.

David.

Al Flipo
06-09-2004, 11:08 AM
Coles-Web (Mike)
You have my sympathy bud; I lived in Ontario (Markham area) for 35 years and can attest to the fact that progress is not always a good thing.
The head of the grease joint McDonalds Canada use to say.
“ Grow stay green, if not rot”
I personally think he is full of sh*t. Taking the ferry from Nanaimo to Vancouver takes you through some incredible scenery until you hit Vancouver and get a first hand view on how destructive man can be.

Evan
06-09-2004, 01:27 PM
Mike W,

I have lived in the Arizona desert. Nice down there. We actually have a lot of desert here in central BC and there are sand dunes just 80 klics west of here. The area around Williams lake is considered semi-arid.

Mike W
06-09-2004, 02:58 PM
Arizona is where I want to retire to. That is if not too many people from California move there. But I will probably have too much stuff to worry about moving. I was in BC as a kid on vacation, very nice.

motorworks
06-09-2004, 04:41 PM
When I see "God's country" I though they were talking about Newfoundland!!http://www.gov.nf.ca/tourism/topmenu/gallery/

darryl
06-09-2004, 04:42 PM
Evan, I would have liked to stop by, but time constraints prevented me. I plan to visit some friends in Burns Lake at some point, and I'll stop in then. Thanks for the invite.

Evan
06-09-2004, 04:50 PM
Darryl,

Just give me a couple days notice so I can clean up the shop. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Mike (coles-webb),

I used to live in Brentwood Bay at the bottom of Marchant right at the government dock. Boy do I miss it too even after nearly 30 years.

coles-webb
06-09-2004, 06:42 PM
Evan
I know where your talking about. I did some work on a guys boat down in the marina last summer before I left. I lived in Sidney for the last three years before the military shipped me to Petawawa, Ont. I sepent most of my life before I joined the military living in Sidney. I do miss it and wish to retire there if I can afford a house.

Mike

Evan
06-09-2004, 07:11 PM
Talk about strolling down memory lane. We used to rent a house from the owner of that marina. His son and I would sometimes get up real early and put in an hour or two salmon fishing before work. We used planers on the end of solid wire line and herring strip bait. Great way to start a day. Got lots of stories from there. Like the dog that always carried the case of beer for his owner when they went out and carried the empties back. The two guys drunker than loons that had a disagreement on the way up the dock to shore and decided to have it out by slapping each other silly with two slamon they caught. Could'a made some money off AFV with that one if video cameras existed. Used to lie off the end of the dock and snag bitty perch to feed the cat.

I think I better get back to work.

mochinist
06-09-2004, 11:05 PM
Mike W.

The Californians are here in full force and still coming strong, its too late! They can sell there little crappy house in California for alot of money and come here to Az and buy one for cheap compared to what they are used to.