View Full Version : Mystery device

06-07-2004, 06:32 PM
Anyone know what the device with the wooden handle is?


06-07-2004, 06:40 PM
Almost (not quite) looks like a ginger grater and almost (not quite) like a parmesan cheese grater.

Are the holes like cutters on a grater? Is the side against the table flat or does it roll like a paint roller?

Is it used to texture pasta?

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 06-07-2004).]

06-07-2004, 07:20 PM
It rolls like a paint roller. The holes aren't sharp and it isn't necessarily a kitchen tool.

06-07-2004, 07:45 PM
Looks like the tool for embeding joint mesh in drywall joints.Or it could be a paint roller,or it could be a PETA approved minow can,its made so they can get exercise before being used for bait http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

06-07-2004, 08:00 PM
Didn't girls use those in the 50's to roll their hair?

Looks like a paint roller. Are the ends sealed or open?

Oh yea, good thing you clearified which item was in question. I was going to say the one on the left is freqently used as a small pry bar. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by CCWKen (edited 06-07-2004).]

Dave Opincarne
06-07-2004, 08:32 PM
Looks a little like a fiberglass roller but those usualy have serated rollers. Or a different style of potato ricer?


06-08-2004, 09:25 AM
Does it spread flour as you roll dough? It seems reasonable

06-08-2004, 10:44 AM
The ends aren't sealed or open. Each end has an odd cone shaped piece in it held loosely by a nut. The cone shaped pieces have a gap of about 1/8" all the way around where it doesn't quite meet the rim at each end. I have never found anyone that can tell me with certainty what the heck it is. It is entirely aluminum.

06-08-2004, 11:13 AM
Maybe it's some sort of berry or tomato press? The seeds would get trapped inside if of the right diameter ... oops, so would the berry or tomato http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//frown.gif

Paul Gauthier
06-08-2004, 11:15 AM
can you supply a pic of each end???

Paul G.

06-08-2004, 11:23 AM
It's used to roll warm sheets of rubber to be used in making basketballs. ...imparts the pebble'ed surface texture. (kidding of course)

Hard to tell from the pictures, are those end caps flush with the surface of the perforated portion of the cylinder? or do they stand 'proud'?

06-08-2004, 11:27 AM
I'll take some pictures of the ends tonight.

06-08-2004, 12:18 PM
In days of old there were lots of cooking devices used solely for decorative effect. Of course that's still true today, e.g. cookie cutters, etc, but the devices don't seem as elaborate as back then. I can remember my Grandma had things to impart decorations on pie crusts and the like. Umm! I'd love to have some of her apple pie right now! Other devices I recall were molds for shaping butter after it was churned and separated from the milk. Those were wooden cylinders, tapered to provide enough draft for pushing the formed butter from the mold, and the top (enclosed) end was a plunger, also of wood, with floral or other decorative designs carved in reverse to create the pattern on the top of the butter and to push the butter out of the mold. But I digress...

While, as you say, that may NOT be a kitchen device, the short handle suggests some useage like that. A tool such as a paint roller typically has a longer shank between handle and the business end to offer more reach. So this would appear to be intended to use up close. The holes suggest to me it may have been intended for extracting juice from something. But if seeds passed thru it'd be a chore to clean up afterwards.

Bottom line is: I don't know! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif But it is interesting. I'm eager to learn more.

06-08-2004, 03:40 PM
I've seen that tool before, just can't remember what it's for. Not much help, am I.

Forrest Addy
06-08-2004, 04:27 PM
It's a spaghetti contrifuge. When company comes you pack it with pasta dough and spin it up to 40,000 RPM. Instant spaghetti from the little holes. This is the angel hair model.

06-08-2004, 04:43 PM
A tapioca roller.

John Stevenson
06-08-2004, 04:44 PM
It's for getting a hammerite finish on Alistairs lathe.
Trowel the green paint on and roll for a finish.

John S.

06-08-2004, 04:52 PM
A couple of guesses from my wife, a seed spreader or for puting some type of thick media paint on walls or ceilings.


06-08-2004, 05:24 PM
Seems to me you put a cloth tube over it and tuck the ends in. Maybe one end piece come out easily, and assembles holding the tucked-in ends in place.

Alistair Hosie
06-08-2004, 05:30 PM
John I am going to put on some underbody seal on the bed first to stop it getting wet from all that nasty gooey stuff used as a coolant.Dont want to spoil the appearance http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gifAlistair

06-08-2004, 05:45 PM
Is it used to texture ceilings and walls?

06-08-2004, 05:51 PM
I have no clue what it is for but I think Darryl might be on to something. The end might be suitable for holding a cloth or similar tube in place. If it is used for paint or plaster I don't get how the holes would help the situation any. I don't think it would be very effective for texturing by itself.

Spin Doctor
06-08-2004, 06:18 PM
I think it meant as a portable reflector to be used instead of the Disco Balls we less than fondly remember. Of course it is missing the polyester shirt and flashlite

Mike Burdick
06-08-2004, 06:35 PM
Ahh, the subtle power of suggestion: Notice how Evan photographed it against a fork and we all thought it was a kitchen utensil.

Okay, I’ll give it a try. I think it’s a juicer - one rolls it back and forth and the “pulp” is squeezed thru the holes into the center for disposal. Well….at my age, I guess I'll have to throw away the juice and eat the pulp!

06-08-2004, 08:06 PM
Insert flour into opening on side, pull light weight fabric sock over the tube, then pull a draw string. Roll it over sticky dough to keep it from sticking to baking tools, and provides that white flaked look that ginger bread cookies get.

Or maybe a flat belt dressing applicator. Just dont let go while machines are running.

[This message has been edited by GLL (edited 06-08-2004).]

06-08-2004, 09:15 PM
My best educated guess after exhaustive research (ever search for holes on google) is that this thing is a butter spreader for toast and bread.

There are stationary ones which bring up butter to a slice of bread (Prince Castle is one brand). This one looks like maybe you dipped it into butter and rolled it across your toast ... about 40 years ago.


Forrest Addy
06-08-2004, 09:22 PM
I'm sure the gadget on the left is some kind of tine piece.

06-08-2004, 11:48 PM
Upon close inspection the name Magikoter was found on the device. It is a special paint roller using disposable covers used to apply toxic hull bottom paint on boats. I found traces of it on the net.

The end unscrews and traps the cover as Darryl suggested.


Frank Ford
06-09-2004, 12:31 AM
And lucky you are that it still has all of its original parts with the original patinated plating intact! We've had many of these in our shop over the years but I've never seen one with the original finish on the handle. Items like this are always in high demand when they are in such fine original condition.

Thanks so much for bringing it into "Antiques Snowjob" and I hope you'll continue to preserve it as a family heirloom keepsake treasure. . .

06-09-2004, 01:11 AM
It's a Muffler Bearing Lubricator.

06-09-2004, 01:47 AM

The fork was a good idea. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 06-09-2004).]

Allan Waterfall
06-09-2004, 04:18 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Alistair Hosie:
John I am going to put on some underbody seal on the bed first to stop it getting wet from all that nasty gooey stuff used as a coolant.Dont want to spoil the appearance http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gifAlistair</font>

Seeing as how you've just been in hospital,are you confusing that underbody seal with a rubber matress cover? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Alistair Hosie
06-09-2004, 05:03 AM
no not at all laddie actually we have a similar device here in the UK its called magi-de-koter for removing the fur from stevensons tongue in the morning http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Alistair Hosie
06-09-2004, 05:04 AM
it was the word toxic which reminded me of it http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif Alistair

06-09-2004, 05:05 AM
i wouldnt want to roll the bottom of a boat with that thing -it would fling more paint off than on- bet that is why it is in such good condition.

Alistair Hosie
06-09-2004, 06:52 AM
I wonder at the nerve of someone explaining this to the registration of patents office.Its a roller thingumy full of holes ideal for er hulls. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif Alistair

06-09-2004, 08:27 AM
yes siree its a high tech roller thingi ma gummy state of the art cutting edge technology first class materials just look at the craftsmanship in it designed for those yachtsmen and women who are looking at saving all that money that the yard would other wise steal fom them - why i bet the paint in the tin is just waiting to jump out of the tin onto the hull.


notice there is no socket for stick .

bet that in 1000 years time the nautical archeologists will find a lot of them with roller still in situ about 60 feet from the slip,probly think the were some kind of funky gps anntenna

06-09-2004, 10:36 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evan:

The fork was a good idea. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 06-09-2004).]</font>