PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Diagram for Jet JDP 125VS-3 drill press.

projectnut
03-18-2015, 03:49 PM
I posted this question on another forum, but since there are a number of people here that are into the older iron I thought I'd also ask the question here.

I've a jet JDP125VS 3 tapping and drilling machine for nearly 20 years now. It's finally time to get the wiring straightened out to make all the original features will work properly. When I got it someone had taken the liberty of replacing the original control panel with a simple rotary switch for forward and reverse. I needed to use it right away, so as usual since the machine was functional the repairs got put on the back burner. It works fine as a drill press, but, I'd like to use the low speed tapping and automatic reverse features as well.

I have all the original components, but not the wiring diagram to reinstall them. Does anyone know where I could get a wiring diagram for this machine? I have contacted Jet on a couple occasions. One time they sent me an operators manual, but unfortunately it doesn't cover the electrical part of the machine. Another time they sent me a manual for the JDP 20VS model, but there seem to be some differences between the control circuits of the machines.

Thanks in Advance

Barrington
03-20-2015, 08:40 PM
The JDP125VS-3 looks to have exactly the same control panel layout as the JDP20VS. The circuit for the JDP20VS looks straightforward, uses pretty standard parts, and would seem to do everything required, so what sort of differences you have found ?

Is it possible that it was originally built the same as the 20VS (and hence why Jet sent you that manual) but had already been altered in some way by a previous owner before the controls were removed ?

If you do have all the necessary parts it would seem very likely they could be put back together without any need for the original circuit diagram.

Cheers

projectnut
03-20-2015, 09:15 PM
They do have the same control panel, and they appear to be nearly identical mechanically. However when comparing the circuit board of my 125vs-3 to the diagram in the 20vs-3 manual (I downloaded a pdf version) there are significant differences. They don't seem to have the same components on the board, and have a totally different wire and terminal identification scheme. It could be that the circuit board on my machine was modified, but I can't be sure of that without seeing a schematic.

I believe the VS-20 is the newer "improved" model of the machine. Looking at the publication date of the VS-20 manual it's dated 1998. If I remember correctly my machine has a production date in the early 1980's. I'm not at the shop right now, but I'll verify the exact date when I get back in a couple days.