X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Arbo
    • Aug 2003

Torch Swap

I have a Presto Lite (pencil tip flame) air/acetylene torch that I would like to trade for a Turbo torch (with tips). I am trying to silver braze copper tubing, and the presto lite just ain't made for that. I can send pics for interested parties. Thanks!
    Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)
  • JCHannum
    • Nov 2001

Strange, that is exactly what a Presto-Lite torch is made for. They are in constant use in refrigeration for silver brazing copper tubing.
    What problems are you having?
    Jim H.

Comment

• Arbo
      • Aug 2003

JC,

The torch that I have has a pencil tip flame designed for small parts. The one I need, is the swirl type flame with interchangable tips for use on different size tubing. The pencil tip flame is not providing an even heat around the tubing. At the very least, the heat from my torch will anneal the copper til you get everything hot enough. I was using it recently, and burned a hole in the tubing before I got a good solder joint. I am hoping that somebode needs one for small parts. If all else fails, I will sell what I have on ebay, and then buy what I need. Just figured I would try this route first.
      Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)

Comment

• happy02
        • Jul 2002

Who made the outfit? Goss is the one I'm most familiar with. Their torches have interchangable tips. You should be able to unscrew the tip just in front of the handle. Welding supply houses carry the various sizes of tips. A #2 should do well for what you're doing. Heat with the outer end of the flame not the inner cone.

Comment

Working...
        X