PDA

View Full Version : Stopped by a machine shop yesterday

Mike W
06-09-2004, 04:37 AM
I just wanted to ask someone what they used for spindle oil. I pulled up and the door was locked. Then it opened and I found myself in a one man shop. He had about 10 lathes. Most were Axelson, bought from the government, 50 and 60's vintage. I asked him if he had any for sale. He had one but it was close to 20' long. Hmmmn...that is a little too big.

He showed me one that had a low rpm of 9. He fired it up and then changed it to 2500 rpm. The 14" or larger chuck turning at that speed was very impressive.

He then showed me an engine that he had made. It was a rotary of his own design. He had a dyno with a Toyota engine bolted in to test the dyno.

He had a very old machine that was made to cut key slots. He explained that a company was going to scrap it out because they bought a new machine. He got it for $150. A few days later, they had him cut a slot in a tapered shaft because their new machine would not do tapers.

I spent 45 min there and went home a little humble.When I asked him about spindle oil, he uses Mobil DTE-26 in everything. This is listed as an hydraulic oil.

x39
06-09-2004, 07:33 AM
It's always a pleasure when someone is willing to take the time to show you what they are working on. Sounds like a good guy to have for a friend.

gundog
06-09-2004, 06:41 PM
I have been using ATF on my South Bend. I looked at what they wanted to use for it and did not have any on site but you can use ATF in the place of Hydraulic oil. ATF is the same weight oil ATF is non foaming and hydraulic oil will foam so you can't use hydraulic oil in a auto transmission. I am not an expert and I am not advising you to do this in your machine but I thought by mentioning this I would get some feed back from the experts.

Paul Alciatore
06-10-2004, 06:11 PM
Sounds like an interesting shop.

Spindle oil? I use "Spindle Oil 22". So far it is just fine. Got a gallon from McMaster a year or so ago when I bought my SB and so far have used less than 8 oz. It should last 10 years or so. I also bought a gallon of "Way Oil" which, of all strange things, I use on the ways. Only used about 4 oz in the past year. I guess I better include the remainder in my will.

All the usual disclaimers.

Paul A.