PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of "MICROSOFT SECURITY" ???

outback
03-30-2015, 09:55 AM
Beware, I think this is a scam. I also get phone calls from a scam group called Microsoft Security that claim there is a problem with my computer. They ask my permission to enter my computer and search for problems where they will more than likely install problems then I'll need to pay them to remove them.

Todays email went like this:

Dear User,

Your email account will be locked in response to a complaint received by the administration.
According to provision 12.7 of Terms and Conditions, Outlook may at any time, terminate its Services for your account and all your data will be lost.

The sender was mike.dimitrovdf(at)forex.com

They included an attachment which I did not open and the email was deleted

What do you people think about this and should this be reported to someone????

Thanks,
Jim

chucketn
03-30-2015, 10:13 AM
You are correct to assume it is a scam. You done good! I would forward the e-mail as an attachment to your e-mail/internet provider. I always send scam/phishing e-mails sent to me, to my provider.

Chuck

Juiceclone
03-30-2015, 10:17 AM
Yes, it's a scam. It was covered in a computer forum notice a while back.

90LX_Notch
03-30-2015, 11:00 AM
I had a call a couple of months ago to my cell phone. A guy with an accent started off with "Your computer has been notifying us all day with a problem." My immediate response to him was, " F' you. Take your f'ing scam and shove it up your f'ing a***." He persisted and I kept repeating the above mentioned line. Then he said that I shouldn't talk like that to him, I just repeated my line. Finally he started f bombing me back. So much for customer service ; ).

outback
03-30-2015, 11:04 AM
I had the same call from a guy with an accent. I asked him if he beheaded any women or children recently. He hung up on me.
Jim

Stepside
03-30-2015, 11:33 AM
We have been getting the same thing here. I asked him if it was my Main Frame or my Laptop. He was sure it was the Main Frame. You could hear him rubbing his hands together and saying "sucker" under his breath. I asked him where he was phoning from. He answered "don't you have caller ID" I lied and said No. He was now drooling in anticipation. I then started answering his questions with made up nonsense. He hung up and called back 3 minutes later. This time I told him I was at the state mental hospital and did not have a computer. He hung up.

5 minutes later the same guy claiming to be from the IRS and if I didn't do what he said they, the IRS, would send the Magistrate over and arrest me. I asked him if I got the cell with Bubba the Butt Bandit. He hung up.

I am totally aware these are scams so wasting his time is worth my effort.

We also got the call from my "grandson" that he was in Panama and had a car accident. Could we send several thousand dollars to get him out of jail. They had the right name for our step-grandson. What they did not know is he is "special needs" and does not drive, work or visit out of country. My wife gave them a very specific place to shove his phone and hung up.

Black_Moons
03-30-2015, 11:48 AM
... My wife gave them a very specific place to shove his phone and hung up.

I recommend you replace the word 'phone' with 'cactus' for more visual effect next time they call.

firbikrhd1
03-30-2015, 11:52 AM
I too have received a phone call on several occasions with someone telling me there is a problem with my computer. I just tell them "no there isn't" and hang up. There are tons of scams these days and unfortunately you have to continually keep your guard up. Scams range from the ones mentioned, including an email scam from what appeared to be from my bank with a very authentic looking logo that turned out to be a scam. I discovered it only because when I hovered over the included link I noticed that the web address that popped up at the bottom left of my computer didn't go to the bank's web site. I promptly reported it tot he bank and they informed me they had been having trouble with this particular scam. Scam don't stop at your computer either. In my town recently there were guys wearing water department uniforms that got a lady to unlock her door and they beat and robbed her.
Scammers prey upon the unsuspecting, uninformed or elderly. Those who keep their awareness up and critically think before taking action are more likely to avoid being scammed.

radkins
03-30-2015, 11:58 AM
There is no use what-so-ever reporting this age old scam, it occurs MANY thousands of times everyday and I'm sure every agency that might even remotely have anything to do with stopping this sort of thing get inundated with complaints daily. There's really nothing you can do about it so just do as I do and hang up as soon as they start talking. Calling them names, etc might make you feel a bit better but these guys are numb to that sort of thing and will just laugh at you so why bother, just hang up immediately and they usually won't waste the tme calling back -that is until maybe the next shift starts work!

Evan
03-30-2015, 12:00 PM
Some time ago I complained to Telus (our land line telephone provider) about the large number of scam calls we were getting. I also pointed out that it was waking me up when I sometimes am sleeping because of narcolepsy, which is not a good thing. They offered me a special service that wasn't advertised at that time, called "Caller Reveal". This requires that the caller must be sending a caller ID number that actually matches the originating location of the call. If the caller ID is blocked then they must either "press 1 to continue" which enables the caller ID or they must type in the number on their phone. It works like a charm and totally eliminated all scam calls permanently. Because it was a medical issue for me they also gave it to me for no extra charge.

The telephone companies like scam calls because every single call made over any type of long distance connection gives the receiving company a small payment. It may be only tenths of a cent but it adds up.

RichR
03-30-2015, 12:00 PM
I got that call a couple of weeks ago:
Caller: Your computer has been notifying us with a problem due to a virus on your computer.
Me: Yes, I know. I'm testing out the virus I wrote and so far it seems to be functioning correctly.
Caller: (Moment of silence), You don't understand, your computer is being affected by malware.
Me: What's not to understand? I'm testing my virus.
Caller: (Another moment of silence) Click (He hung up).

I guess my responses weren't covered in his playbook.

Ian B
03-30-2015, 12:10 PM
Two tips on handling the scam emails.

First, before you forward the email, you need to include the message source. Most email providers let you do this - in Hotmail, click the "..." in the toolbar at the top, it's the bottom option. This opens a new window. Copy the contents, append them to the scam email.

Then, to find where to send it, go to https://www.abuse.net/lookup.phtml and enter the domain name in the search box. Forex.com has the address abuse@gaincapital.com. Hopefully, the service provider will then shut the scammer's account down, which nicely ruins any ongoing scams.

Or, go to www.419baiter.com (http://www.419baiter.com) and let the games commence!

Ian

Evan
03-30-2015, 12:15 PM
I used to play with them too.

Caller: Your computer has been notifying us with a problem due to a virus on your computer.

me: Which one?

Caller: Uhhh... The one you are using.

me: I have seven and they are all on all of the time. Which one?

Caller: You must have a virus on all of them.

me: No, I don't. The only computer that has any viruses on it is my test machine. It currently has about half a dozen.

click

Evan
03-30-2015, 12:17 PM
quote: Hopefully, the service provider will then shut the scammer's account down, which nicely ruins any ongoing scams.

​Yes, but maybe as long as 24 hours, unfortunately. I shut them down too when I feel pissed about them. It's a losing battle.

EVguru
03-30-2015, 12:30 PM
I used to have an audio file stored on my desktop I could play when I got one of these calls.

It was the sound of a phone ringing and I would apologise and say that I had to take this priority call.

Hello, Computer fraud reporting line

RWO
03-30-2015, 01:07 PM
I use nomorobo.com and after a few weeks very few scam calls get through and I don't answer them unless I recognize the caller ID.

RWO

chucketn
03-30-2015, 01:14 PM
I used to have an audio file stored on my desktop I could play when I got one of these calls.

It was the sound of a phone ringing and I would apologise and say that I had to take this priority call.

Sound of phone ringing... "Hello, Control? You got a lock on this one? Good, launch the drone..." To scammer: "Hey, you might want to evacuate that building you're in..."

Chuck

John Stevenson
03-30-2015, 01:39 PM
I piss them about for ages. First off ask if they are Microsoft and ask if they can see my computer, Yes to both then get them to tell me what to do, and I go thru it repeating word for word what they say.

So we finally get to the page that should say I'm locked out IF I had done all these things, and the guy says what does it say on your screen

"Welcome to Apple Computers "

CLICK.

JCHannum
03-30-2015, 02:37 PM
Tom Mabe deals with telemarketer;

http://800notes.com/videos/qNUE602EhQA/tom-mabe-pranks-telemarketer-with-fake-death-scene

KyMike
04-04-2015, 02:25 PM
I get these calls about once a month and usually I just hang up (after a word or two of advice on how they can improve the scammer-victim interface), however I decided to play with them for a bit after the most recent one. A foreign sounding female voice said she was calling from Microsoft and was I aware that my computer was infected with a virus. I told her that I happened to work for Microsoft and that we don't call anyone ever for any reason. About 5 seconds later they hung up.

Mike

JoeLee
04-04-2015, 02:47 PM
It's a scam for sure. First off I couldn't understand a word he was saying other than my computer is sending error messages to them.

I think this is the guy who called me...............

JL...............

http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac317/JoeLee09/Microsoft%20Tech/Microsoft%20Tech%20Support_zpsbosemqkp.png (http://s911.photobucket.com/user/JoeLee09/media/Microsoft%20Tech/Microsoft%20Tech%20Support_zpsbosemqkp.png.html)

Black_Moons
04-04-2015, 03:11 PM
One of my developer friends told me he got phone calls 'from microsoft support' whenever the program he was working on crashed.

Could have been coincidence.. .Or maybe hackers have full access to the microsoft 'crash report' database, including whatever name (And phone number? or maybe they just use the phone book) is registered to that copy of windows.