X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sandiapaul
    • Jan 2005

OT: Fluorescent lights interfere with FM

I put in T-8's in my basement shop years back....and as many know the ballasts play havoc with the FM reception.

I have done bit of searching for a solution and bought a device that plugs into the wall that you then plug your radio into, it made no difference.

Is there an easy way to fix this? I really would like to get the radio back!
  • browne92
    • Jan 2012

Simply use a radio that has connections for an external antenna and run a cable to an outdoor antenna. The higher the better.
    Definition: Racecar - a device that turns money into noise.

Comment

• justanengineer
      • Nov 2010

Ive got T8s throughout the house and garage, never had a problem with radio reception in the least. Have you tried turning off the lights to make sure thats the source of the problem? Maybe you just need a powered antenna.
      "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

• Rosco-P
        • Mar 2012

Might use the process of elimination and hunt down the ballast or ballasts that are causing the interference. If you're lucky, one or two new electronic ballasts will make all the difference in the world.

Comment

• lakeside53
          • Nov 2007

Yes... fix the problem... not the radio.

Comment

• sandiapaul
            • Jan 2005

I have a lot of lights...and yes it is the lights. I'd really prefer not to have to test each ballast...one would have to unwire each one one at a time right?
            Powered antenna? I'll have to check into that....

Comment

• Paul Alciatore
              • May 2002

Well, you may have more than one bad ballast. It would be better to disconnect all of them and reconnect one at a time.

OR you could use the radio to find the bad ones. Carry it near each fixture and see which ones produce more noise.

Oh, and powered (translate that as amplified) antennae can be even more problematic in bad RF noise environments. They amplify noise too. At the very least, be sure the amplifier is at the antenna, on top of the pole, not in the basement.

Originally posted by sandiapaul View Post
              I have a lot of lights...and yes it is the lights. I'd really prefer not to have to test each ballast...one would have to unwire each one one at a time right?
              Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 04-01-2015, 12:34 PM.
              Paul A.​
              s​
              Golden Triangle, SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
              You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

• macona
                • Aug 2006

Or use internet radio

Comment

• Bob Fisher
                  • Jan 2006

I like AM radio most times in my shop. Yeah, that's right Rush Among others. Macona has the answer, Internet radio have one in the kitchen, Wife's sewing room., and the. Shop. Problem gone! Bob.

Comment

• Puckdropper
                    • Apr 2014

It depends... The lights may be wired so that it's easy to disconnect the ones downstream at the same time you disconnect the one. (Say you've got a connection at each box that has power in, light, and power out.) If wired like that, then the process can be shortened considerably. Disconnect the light in the middle so half the lights go out. Check the radio. If you're still getting interference, disconnect the lights about halfway through the remaining ones. If not, reconnect the lights and disconnect them again about halfway through the ones that were off. Repeat until the culprit is found.

This process is called a "binary search."

Comment

• justanengineer
                      • Nov 2010

I'd really prefer not to have to test each ballast...one would have to unwire each one one at a time right?
                      Disclaimer: Young and NOT an EE/electronics guru question coming.....

but couldnt you simply remove a bulb at a time to interrupt the circuit and the source of interference? Paul? Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?
                      "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

• sandiapaul
                        • Jan 2005

Justanenginnner,

Interesting idea...but isn't the ballast still "on" if I remove a bulb? I mean it might be that particular one no?

Comment

• macona
                          • Aug 2006

Originally posted by justanengineer View Post
                          Disclaimer: Young and NOT an EE/electronics guru question coming.....

but couldnt you simply remove a bulb at a time to interrupt the circuit and the source of interference? Paul? Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?
                          Maybe, electronic ballasts are still active when there is no lamp, less load but still putting out some EMI. The sound of the interference might change though. I wonder if his fixtures are grounded...

Comment

• Black_Moons
                            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by macona View Post
                            Maybe, electronic ballasts are still active when there is no lamp, less load but still putting out some EMI. The sound of the interference might change though. I wonder if his fixtures are grounded...
                            The sound of interference will DEFINITELY change if you remove a bulb, but it may not disappear. There is also the chance that a ballast that was not making noise will start making noise when the bulb is disconnected.

That said, you should also be able to use the FM radio to 'hunt' the noisy ballast by moving the radio around the room near the lights.
                            Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

• sandiapaul
                              • Jan 2005

Fixtures are grounded and run on a different circuit than the radio, if that makes any difference...I guess I have my work cut out for me...I was hoping for a "quick fix"

Comment

Working...
                              X