PDA

View Full Version : Project photos, first castings just back from the foundry!

Dave Opincarne
06-09-2004, 11:02 PM
Just picked up the first casting from the foundry today. Here's some photos of it in its virgin state.

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v245/dmopincarne/Casting/?sort=descending

Enjoy!

Dave

CCWKen
06-09-2004, 11:12 PM
Star Ship America?

sandman2234
06-09-2004, 11:17 PM
Looks like the patterns worked out, how is the fit?
David from jax

Dave Opincarne
06-10-2004, 12:05 AM
Not a starship, although your not the first to notice the simalarity. It's a magnito cover for an Ossa motorcycle.

The fit looks good at first blush, although the mating part is several thousand miles away. I had to return the original but before I did I took an impression in tooling plastic for comparison. I'll get the flash ground back and scan both the splash of the original and the casting into my computer. Using Photoshop I can create an overlay for comparison. I may need to add some risers though.

Dave

wierdscience
06-10-2004, 07:32 AM
Looking good,what alloy?

Alistair Hosie
06-10-2004, 10:56 AM
Looking nice David, nice sharp cassting, with even,thin flash well done.Alistair

lynnl
06-10-2004, 11:08 AM
Are all of those features part of the actual casting? (i.e. not sprues, risers, runners, etc.?)

How long have you been a patternmaker Dave? I think I'd find that a very fascinating job.

Paul Alciatore
06-10-2004, 05:46 PM
Very impressive!

Paul A.

Dave Opincarne
06-11-2004, 12:57 AM
WS- sorry, can't find my notes on what alloy he's casting. Aluminum is as good as I can tell you at the moment.

Thanks Alistair, coming from an orthodontic tech that's high praise. Check out the photos of the pattern and the core box. The pattern and core came together so tightly there's only 1/16" flash in areas were the juncture defined the parting line.

lynnl- Yes all of those features are part of the casting and will be machined. The four small half circles around the periphery are machine tabs to level and locate the part for facing and drilling opperations. I've been a patternmaker in my current incarnation for the last two years. I've also spent several years as a composite tool maker. Other experience as a custom cabinet maker, model maker, and I did a short stint in a tool and die shop. This is all subsiquent to 10 years as a commercial photographer. Patternmaking is a dieing trade and a lot of whats left is fairly boring. A lot of cnc work that needs finishing. I do get to do a fair number of small patterns for rail assemblies which can be interesting, but it has more to do with understanding how rail lines work than pattern making. This was a fun job and quite a challenge. If you haven't done so check out the photos of the pattern and you'll see that this was all done with only the drag and one core box. The only thing on the cope side of the board was a 1/4" steel dowel pin to serve as a sprue locator. The riging is painted red.

Paul- Thanks

Dave