PDA

View Full Version : Tip on hard to find metal splinters

Ted Coffey
06-09-2004, 08:55 PM
Had a sheet metal splinter in finger the other day that I could not find even under 30x magnification. I could feel it but couldn't find it. I finally scraped the skin surface with a knife blade and applied Hydrogen peroxide. The next morning NO spinter.

CCWKen
06-09-2004, 09:17 PM
I usually try to lay it over with a piece of duct tape. Let sit for a minute--to let the adhesive mold to it, then pull the tape off slow. This usually gets it out.

For the tough ones, I use drawing salve (the black stuff).

Arbo
06-09-2004, 09:31 PM
A super strong magnet works wonders also. I have also removed grinding sparks from the eyball this way...USUAL DISCLAIMERS APPLY

x39
06-09-2004, 09:50 PM
Arbo's post reminds me of the time I got a piece of welding slag in my eye. The doctor numbed the eye and removed the offending chunk with a needle. It was pretty interesting seeing the needle heading for my eyeball and not feeling it.

mochinist
06-09-2004, 09:56 PM
I have used elmers glue to remove the small ones before. You just apply some glue then let it dry and form a skin and peel it off. It is a old trick my parents would use on us when we got into a fight with cactus and lost.

ibewgypsie
06-09-2004, 10:18 PM
I have used a magnetic screwdriver on metal shavings in my eye. I got more shavings in my eyes jig sawing then drilling.

I have used a rolled up dollar bill to scoop them out of my eye.

I have used duct tape on everything from fiberglass hair on my arms to shavings in the skin.

When I used to get a wart on my hand, I'd cut it open and find a metal splinter. I guess my mind would build a wart around it. I never had a wart caused by frogs.

I really hate the ones you feel but can't find. I had a magnifying tweezer setup for just that once. No clue where they are now.

David

Dave Opincarne
06-10-2004, 12:22 AM
On wood splinters I just dig the F&(_*s out. I've had so many and my hands are so tough from sanding with 40 grit all day I don't feel it, just don't want it to fester. I have a knack for slivers under the fingernails, allways seems to happen when I've got my hands full and can't drop what I'm doing. Carbon fiber slivers are the worst, they seem to have barbs that don't want to come out.

Dave

Mike W
06-10-2004, 04:16 AM
Once you find it, dial calipers work good for pulling it out.

wierdscience
06-10-2004, 07:38 AM
If you can't see it use the old cotton ball trick,drag one across it and see where the cotton snags off,then pull with tweezers.

Vinager on a bandaid pad is said to work,but I never tried it.

Steinmetz
06-10-2004, 09:42 PM
Been there done that. First encounter with embedded grinding particle stuck to the eyeball.
After three days of excruciating pain went to ER
Docter first tried a giant electro magnet, then used a needle Whew! Got it out.( had to wear an eye patch for three days)

Next six or seven encounters I just looked into a mirror and gently dragged the side of a clean flat toothpick across the tiny dot and eased it out.
Never tried the duct tape route tho
Stein

GLL
06-11-2004, 12:26 AM
Do you guys ever wear safety glasses?
Needles and eyeballs! YECH!

Or do you get these things in with glasses on?

Dave Opincarne
06-11-2004, 12:37 AM
Even with saftey glasses stuff still gets in. Problem with wood and fiberglass and the like is it's non magnetic. Good thing is it doesn't rust. Ferous particles in the eye can leave a little rust spot, machine shop forman at my old pattern shop had a nice spot.

Dave

Excitable Boy
06-11-2004, 01:02 AM
Eye protection always. Luckily I've never got anything bad in my eyes in teh shop.

The fingers are another issue though. Having a well equipped wife who worked in inspection for many years pays benefits. Get a splinter, walk over to the Bausch & Lomb Stereo Zoom 7 stereo microscope. With some of her wickedly pointy surface mount re-work style tweezers I can remove any spliner I've got so far fairly quickly. The stereo fiber optic light source helps a lot with the two adjustable goosenecks that let you eliminate all the shadows. With 10X eyepieces, I get at least 70X magnification and if I needed more I'd just put in 15X eyepieces, but so far that hasn't been necessary.

John

------------------
Pursue Excellence and the rest will follow.

rmatel
06-11-2004, 10:27 AM
John,

Me too, but splinter always in part of hand that makes me do contortions such that I am now a trained circus act.

Bob