PDA

View Full Version : I am in Germany for 2 weeks

Richard King
04-13-2015, 12:45 AM
Hello,

If anyone lives in Germany and wants to meet me, I will be at the USETECH Trade Show in Karlsruhe Today - Wednesday working inside the BIAX Booth in Building 2 booth 130. After the show I will be visiting the BIAX German office and then driving to BIAX Switzerland for a couple of days and then spending next week again teaching a scraping class at the BIAX office in Maulbronn.

I will be demoing Power way scrapers and discussing machine rebuilding. I will present a Power Point lecture each day too. I hope to see you. Richard King

http://www.usetec-fair.com/USETEC/General-Information/Supporting-Programme/K2397.htm

Euph0ny
04-13-2015, 02:27 AM
If anyone lives in Germany and wants to meet me, I will be at the USETECH Trade Show in Karlsruhe Today - Wednesday...

Aaaah. Had I known in time, I could have arranged this; my in-laws live near Karlsruhe, and I could have organised a trip. Too bad.

Anyhow, thanks for the heads-up, and I hope you have a great, and productive, time!

PixMan
04-13-2015, 08:57 AM
Interesting! I wish I was there.

How are your German language skills? I'm just curious if Biax is providing you with a translator or if you speak the language well enough to do all these things representing their company.

I'm glad for you that you have this opportunity, it speaks volumes about your reputation and skills!

Richard King
04-13-2015, 12:34 PM
The VP of sales speaks English, German, Russian, Ukrainia and something else.. Many of the people coming to the booth are from Iran, Turkey, India and german. I can say good morning, ya and nine... some swear words I learned formmy Grandparents who imagrated to the states in the 20's, Late rich

Jon Heron
04-13-2015, 03:04 PM
After doing a lot of work abroad I find that most people in the working world can speak English. Germany has never been a problem, it seems most everyone can speak it, I think it is standard practice for EU people to learn English in school.
I have done some work in northern Spain where I had a hard time just ordering food but that was the exception. In Japan they put intricate models of their dishes in the window and pics of the dishes right in the menu which I like, no talking required! :)
Safe travels Richard!
Cheers,
Jon

Richard King
04-13-2015, 06:04 PM
Years ago I did a job in Quetero (spelling sucks) for Clark Equipment and after a 3 hour car ride from the airport with a driver who could not speak English and I don't now or them speak Spanish. I walked into the office in pain and had to pee. I asked where is the men room, bathroom??? They all looked at me with the HUH look. I then unzipped my zipper..and they immediately said WC...WC.... and showed me where it was......lol....now I learn the basics like WC, ooono savasa senior...and the important words...LOL Rich

I am awake after heading to bed 4 hours ago. it's 12:03 AM here or 00:03....had to pee...lol..and woke up with jet lag....it sucks getting old....lol Rich

Juergenwt
04-14-2015, 02:20 PM
Just make sure you ask for the Way - Cey when asking for the Water Closet. Have fun!

Richard King
05-13-2015, 10:12 AM
Germany was beautiful...I toured the Black Forest and it reminded me of North Carolina foot hills. I had a great class teaching 9 students and 3 were professional machine rebuilders who attended to get more experience using the BIAX Power Scraper. I have been invited back to help inside the Biax booth in Milan IT during the EMO show. Oct 5-10. Then going back to Germany and teach 2 basic classes and 1 advanced class. I'm now on my way to Navasota Texas to teach another class. The host is going to have a Tool Swap Meet on Saturday afternoon. If you want to attend. Email me (richard@handscraping.com) and I'll send you the address. We are also talking about classes in Indy, Tuscon, Wash DC and Oakland in the fall or next year. Rich

Black Forest
05-13-2015, 11:36 AM
I live in the Black Forest and it is indeed beautiful. Especially at this time of year. You should have stopped by my place. If you get to this part of the world again let me know. You can stay at my place, we have lots of room and great food.

And I will put you on a horse and we can ride through the forest! We might even invite Sir John to come along. He hates horses and will decline the invitation.

Or we could hold a scraping class at my place only for members of this forum. I will provide the rooms and food. All they have to do is get here.

Paul Alciatore
05-13-2015, 04:07 PM
My German is rusty as all get out, but boy don't I wish I could take you up on that one. I would love to add a horse back ride in the Black Forest to my bucket list. Oh, and the scraping class too.

I live in the Black Forest and it is indeed beautiful. Especially at this time of year. You should have stopped by my place. If you get to this part of the world again let me know. You can stay at my place, we have lots of room and great food.

And I will put you on a horse and we can ride through the forest! We might even invite Sir John to come along. He hates horses and will decline the invitation.

Or we could hold a scraping class at my place only for members of this forum. I will provide the rooms and food. All they have to do is get here.

QSIMDO
05-13-2015, 04:12 PM
Richard, do they ever have you at Dapra HQ in Bloomfield CT?

camdigger
05-13-2015, 11:17 PM
BF

I have been to Germany a couple times. Not much more than day trips from Frankfurt. Speyer Tech museum was mind boggling.

I hate horses. Too many bad experiences.

If you are interested in a get away though, Turkey has some amazing history going back even further than Germany. Within 200 km of our residence here, there are remnants of 2 Byzantyne castles, 2 Ottoman castles, the ruins of Troy, Assos, an ancient stone bridge over a mile long, and ancient Persian ?road, and misc other smaller old ruins. Further afield are the 7 churches of the Book of revelations, Ephesus, what remains of the ancient spice and silk trading routes, and the crown jewel of the Ottoman and Byzantyne empires/Istanbul/Constantinople.