PDA

View Full Version : USN WWII aircraft carrier found 'amazingly intact' after 60 years on Pacific floor

oldtiffie
04-17-2015, 09:45 PM
I saw this article in our media here in OZ yesterday and again today.

I thought it might be of interest to some here.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-17/uss-independence-wwii-aircraft-carrier-found-in-pacific/6400012

Edwin Dirnbeck
04-18-2015, 09:37 AM
I saw this article in our media here in OZ yesterday and again today.

I thought it might be of interest to some here.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-17/uss-independence-wwii-aircraft-carrier-found-in-pacific/6400012

Thanks for the interesting link. Why is there no dateline? !951 plus 60 years is 2011 ,so is the story from fri 2011? Edwin

wierdscience
04-18-2015, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the interesting link. Why is there no dateline? !951 plus 60 years is 2011 ,so is the story from fri 2011? Edwin

Sloppy writing.

Apparently she served from 43'-45' and then put to sea again in 46' as part of an A-bomb test fleet.After that she was put in mothballs until 1951 when she was scuttled.

So 1951 - 2015 does put her at 64 years on the bottom at least,but apparently she was in service from 43'-46'.

Interesting that she was built on a Cruiser hull-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Independence_%28CVL-22%29

Tony Ennis
04-18-2015, 10:07 PM
I believe that ship was nuked twice.

Sun God
04-19-2015, 12:04 AM
Yeah not so much put in mothballs as 'used as a target for nukes twice, and so thoroughly irradiated that after years of experiments could not be successfully decontaminated, so scuttled'.

danlb
04-19-2015, 12:20 AM
That's only 40 miles from here. Oddly, it's much less irradiated than 4 other sources within that 40 mile radius. I know of a

1) University research reactor.
2) National lab weapons research. There are job requisitions there for machinists with radioactive qualifications.
3) A reactor for creating medical radiological sources
4) A US weapons depot.

I wish I could dive on that wreck. It would be fantastic.

Dan

vpt
04-19-2015, 08:50 AM
Must have been some pretty weak nukes.

Tony Ennis
04-19-2015, 09:34 AM
They were Hiroshima-strength nukes. One was an air-burst from about 1000 yards, and the other was an underwater detonation. I don't recall the range but I recall it was pretty close.

Sun God
04-19-2015, 10:48 AM
Operation Crossroads; shot Able was a 500ft 'self cleaning' airburst with limited fallout, 23kt. Detonated 750 odd yards away from USS Independence. Caused lots of fires and other superficial, repairable damage, but was otherwise considered to be thoroughly disappointing. The burst of radiation from the shot would have killed the crews of the entire fleet within a few days, but the ships could have been re-crewed successfully as there was limited to nil fallout.

Shot Baker on the other hand was a depth charge 150ft below the surface of the lagoon, also 23kt. Damage to vessels in the proximity was severe, but the radiological effects on the target fleet were catostrophic. The liquid fallout plume contaminated vast swathes of the fleet in ways that were completely irrepairable. The plume contaminated all the surfaces of the ships, and saltwater systems onboard the ships sucked up contaminated water from the lagoon, and irradiated many systems on board ships that would have otherwise only been irradiated externally.

Much effort was put into decontaminating some ships of the target fleet in Pearl Harbour and San Francisco, as a learning exercise for war, but almost nothing could be satisfactorily decontaminated and much of the fleet that was towed back to the US was subsequently scuttled.

oldtiffie
04-19-2015, 06:59 PM
I'd guess that the radiation would have polluted the near ocean as well as that part of the ocean that was carried by storms and tidal action etc. (even though its concentration would have been diluted or dispersed over time)