PDA

View Full Version : Light duty tool post grider

gundog
06-11-2004, 08:00 PM
Inspired by some of the dremel tool post grinders I have seen I came up with this and no work on the mount.

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v292/millnut/DSC01761.jpg

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v292/millnut/DSC01762.jpg

A tool post grider is almost like a tool post grinder only spelt rong. I need to learn to check the spelling on the title since you can't change it later.

[This message has been edited by gundog (edited 06-11-2004).]

abn
06-12-2004, 02:25 AM
Smooth, I'll have to get one of those pencil handpieces the one on my Foredom is about an inch in diameter...to big to fit it in my toolholder or my boring bar holder.

pgp001
06-12-2004, 03:49 AM
Gundog

Have you actually tried it yet ?
What sort of results did you get ?
I tried the same set up myself once and found that the bearings were just not up to the job and I got a very poor finish.

Phil

IOWOLF
06-12-2004, 06:49 AM
SAME HERE, THEN I ASKE A MACHINIST FRIEND OF MINE HOW I COULD REMEDY THIS , HE WENT OVER TO A CABINET AND DUG OUT A SMALL BOX AND HE HANDED IT TO ME, AND SAID THIS SHOULD WORK I HAVE NO UES FOR IT. IN SIDE WAS A SMALL DUMORE GRINDER 1/14 H/P, I THINK, BUT A REAL SWEETY TO ME.
I USED IT MANY TIMES OVER THE YEARS, EVEN DONE SOME WORK FOR HIM AS COST OF MATERIAL OF COURSE.

gundog
06-12-2004, 11:39 AM
I have used it once to true up my 3 jaw chuck it had .007 runout. I chucked up several round objects I thought to be true (I have no test bars) and using a dial indicator found one jaw to be lower than the other two. I used this setup and rotated the chuck by hand back and forth on the jaws that were high. With the compound rest I was able to control how much I was taking off the jaws a very small amount. The final result was a chuck that runs from .0005 -.001 through the entire range of the chuck it also sets the bore to the ways much better than before. I have bought a 4 jaw chuck for more precision work. That is the only use I have had for a tool post grinder so far I am a newbie @ machine work.