PDA

View Full Version : OT- Mower Transaxle

rws
04-18-2015, 04:47 PM
My transaxle is on the way south. It makes noise when coasting, and I can't get past 3rd gear (it's a 5 speed). I can feel there is binding going on with the linkage in the unit. Not a great time of year for this to happen, everything is turning green!

Looking the part up on John Deere website, says it's a Peerless make.

The mower is over 25 years old, but the engine (a Kawasaki) runs great and the mower deck is twice as heavy as one on a new mower, so I feel it's worth messing with.

So how hard are these to get into and repair? And parts? Are these "throw aways"?

Hawkeye
04-18-2015, 05:10 PM
http://www.surpluscenter.com/Power-Transmission/Transaxles/Mechanical-Transaxles/SPICER-5-SPEED-TRANSAXLE-13-1400.axd
5 speed tranaxle for $140.00 probably would adapt pretty easily.

Guido
04-18-2015, 05:13 PM
How about a Peerless or a Peerless ??????????

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Brands/Peerless/PEERLESS-HYDROSTATIC-TRANSAXLE-13-1474.axd

CarlByrns
04-18-2015, 07:11 PM
My transaxle is on the way south. It makes noise when coasting, and I can't get past 3rd gear (it's a 5 speed). I can feel there is binding going on with the linkage in the unit. Not a great time of year for this to happen, everything is turning green!

Looking the part up on John Deere website, says it's a Peerless make.

The mower is over 25 years old, but the engine (a Kawasaki) runs great and the mower deck is twice as heavy as one on a new mower, so I feel it's worth messing with.

So how hard are these to get into and repair? And parts? Are these "throw aways"?

They're dead simple gearboxes- open it up and see whats blocking the sliding keys from moving past 3rd. It might be broken keys and the noise on coast might be a slack reverse chain. I rebuilt the one in my JD (sounds like similar vintage) and the only reason it was noisy was the original grease had dried out. I repacked it with gear grease from Tractor Supply.

Black_Moons
04-18-2015, 07:15 PM
Agreed, I rebuilt one that was stuck to hell.

Someone FILLED it with the wrong grease. like an entire hand full pushed in through a crack in the case that let tons of water in.

Took it apart, solvent cleaned gears/shafts/etc using the case itself as a parts washer, put it back together with whatever grease the local mower place recommended (Some water proof bentinite grease or something)

Works great now.

Fasttrack
04-18-2015, 08:21 PM
They're dead simple gearboxes- open it up and see whats blocking the sliding keys from moving past 3rd. It might be broken keys and the noise on coast might be a slack reverse chain. I rebuilt the one in my JD (sounds like similar vintage) and the only reason it was noisy was the original grease had dried out. I repacked it with gear grease from Tractor Supply.

Exactly. I actually have three or four of them around. I used to cannibalize them to make little go-kart transmissions. Odds are, the gears are fine. The problem is more than likely a buggered up shift key or the slot that the key rides in may have developed a burr. My parts are all in deep storage, so probably wouldn't do you any good but if you find you are still hunting for parts in a few months and I have my stuff out of storage I'll take a look.

CarlByrns
04-18-2015, 08:26 PM
Agreed, I rebuilt one that was stuck to hell.

Someone FILLED it with the wrong grease. like an entire hand full pushed in through a crack in the case that let tons of water in.

Took it apart, solvent cleaned gears/shafts/etc using the case itself as a parts washer, put it back together with whatever grease the local mower place recommended (Some water proof bentinite grease or something)

Works great now.

I had a devil of a time finding the bentonite grease- the stuff Tractor Supply sold was some space-age green grease.

Doozer
04-18-2015, 11:41 PM
The Peerless 600 series 3 speed is the one to use for go kart applications.
Belt it 2:1 overdrive from the engine and you get a kart capable of going
40 mph. It helps to have the needle and ball bearing version with the splinie
countershaft gears. There is also a bronze bushing model with keyed
countershaft gears, not so robust.

-D

big job
04-19-2015, 05:21 AM
When apart I always drill & tap the housing right at the ring gear and use #140 gear oil instead of grease.

rws
04-19-2015, 06:09 AM
Thanks all. I will get some info off of the original today and see if I can adapt one that is linked. For $150 I could justify a new axle. But I will get into the old one too. I've rebuilt automatic transmissions in the past, plus manual gear boxes, but time is what bothers me now. More than a couple weeks out of service and I would be crotch deep in grass!

CCWKen
04-19-2015, 02:32 PM
I got the one for my shear for less than $5 at a scrap yard but that was years ago. They might be up to $10 by now. This is the time of the year people buy new machines and scrap the old ones even if there's little wrong with them. The place I go lets you take your tools in and remove what you want. You take it to front and weight it, pay then be on your way. (Small town) :)