PDA

View Full Version : Made my own narrow sanding belt

gunsmither
04-19-2015, 03:37 PM
Might be old news to many, but a new idea to me.

I have a Kalamzoo 1x42" belt sander which is a very much used tool in my shop.

A tool that I manufacture and sell requires a lot of de-burring, and I discovered I could use the belt sander to de-burr most of the sharp edges, but found the belt was too wide to get inside some of the corners.

Not finding any available belts narrower than 1", I decided to try slicing a 1" belt down the middle.

I used a magic marker to run a line down the middle of the belt which was turned inside out. Then I jammed a razor knife point into the running belt at the line, and voila, two 1/2" belts were born almost instantly.

It was a bit scary how fast the running belt split in two. Duh! Next time I'll run a middle line, then turn the belt by hand while holding the knife. One could likely make an even narrower belt with careful slicing.

The narrow 320 grit belt rides perfectly on the crowned lower wheel of the machine and the flat upper pulley, and eliminates a lot of former hand filing. Being basically lazy, I'm all for that!

Hope this helps somebody else! Joe

flylo
04-19-2015, 03:44 PM
I've done that & cut the belt fron the gack using vise grips & a stanley knife blade, works well & if & did many I think a jig to hold the blade &a spring then pivot the blade into the belt.

mickeyf
04-19-2015, 11:31 PM
Being basically lazy

My shop instructor told us, "When a particularly difficult job comes in, the smart foreman gives it to the laziest guy in the shop, because he'll find the easiest way to do it"

gunsmither
04-19-2015, 11:51 PM
My shop instructor told us, "When a particularly difficult job comes in, the smart foreman gives it to the laziest guy in the shop, because he'll find the easiest way to do it"

Very true my friend! ;)

Lew Hartswick
04-20-2015, 07:57 AM
I heard that from my dad, I bet 70 years ago. "Send a lazy man to do the job" is exactly the way he said it.
...lew...

Black Forest
04-20-2015, 12:43 PM
All I ever buy are the 150mm(6")wide belts for my belt grinder. It takes 50mm wide belts. All you have to do is measure for 50mm wide, use a Stanley knife and cut the joint from the inside. Then just pull and it will tear quite evenly around the belt. You don't need to cut the whole belt, just the seam where it is joined.

Black_Moons
04-20-2015, 01:18 PM
Try one of those air filers (technically air belt sander)

they come with 1/2" and 3/8" wide belts and have a tiny little sanding arm that can get into very tight places.