PDA

View Full Version : O.T. any hope for droped camera ?

steve herman
04-21-2015, 04:05 AM
I've had this camera since the first came out.
It's a Toshiba and took great pic. till I dropped it in the shop. I hate to just through it away. every thing works but the im. are all blurry.
Any hope?
Steve
http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy126/steveherman/003_10.jpg (http://s784.photobucket.com/user/steveherman/media/003_10.jpg.html)

fraker
04-21-2015, 04:26 AM
Hi Steve.
Been there done that, swore about it too.

If the god's are smiling, you MIGHT be lucky enough to have just dislodged the autofocus mechanism as you suggest it still takes photos.
it might be worth some time investigating with several very small screwdrivers and a powerful eye glass.

I wouldn't suggest taking in to have it looked at as it's likely to cost way more than the camera is worth.

Good luck.
Bill.

metalbender
04-21-2015, 09:04 AM
Put it in a safe place for future reference, buy a new one and get on with life. When my first digital, Cannon ELPH died after a good many years, I replaced it with a new version with better features, like a screen was almost the whole back of the camera. Like going from a 19" tv to a 32". Still only has 7.1 pixels but pic quality is great. Now I mainly use the cell phone unless I'm on holidays.

fjk
04-21-2015, 09:12 AM
Toss it and get a new one.
Repair will cost more than buying a new one -cheapest Nikon Coolpix is $109 at bhphoto... ymmv
Even if the autofocus is just dislodged, it will never be quite right again ...

MotorradMike
04-21-2015, 09:16 AM
Yes, there is hope!
Same thing happened to my camera.
As fraker suggested, the focusing mechanism had been bumped off it's rail.
Once I was in there, it was easy to put it back on and it worked afterwards to my enormous surprise.

Watch out for the flash charging electronics, I got a bit of a shock.

You have nothing to lose.

lakeside53
04-21-2015, 11:14 AM
The entire camera is built around the lens... If you need to fix that mechanism, forget it; they are not designed to be fixed. I'm an old electronic tech... so none of this stuff scares me. I've had a couple apart right down to that in an attempt to get rid of a particle or two of sand jamming the lens. lol.. failed...

Rosco-P
04-21-2015, 11:56 AM
Toss it and get a new one.
Repair will cost more than buying a new one -cheapest Nikon Coolpix is $109 at bhphoto... ymmv
Even if the autofocus is just dislodged, it will never be quite right again ...

+1 to the above.

Tinker with it if you wish, maybe you can fix it, maybe something will be learned. Unless you have a strong attachment to the camera for some reason, just pitch it. My 8 megapix Kodak was under $100 some years ago, still going strong. It would not be worth repairing if it broke.

Paul Alciatore
04-21-2015, 12:03 PM
Can it be fixed? Probably. Should you fix it or have it fixed? That's up to you.

I have an Olympus that I really like. I did the same thing: dropped it in the shop. It had worse damage than yours; nothing worked. I sent it back to Olympus for a quote. They wanted about 75% or 80% of what I paid for it. I agonized. After looking at replacements and buying and trying one, I finally decided that I liked it enough to have it repaired. But it was a newer model than yours and had some features that I really liked.

Can you do something yourself? Perhaps or perhaps not. You have to try to find out. Since you are asking the question, I would think you may want to try for an hour or so. Break out the magnifying visor.

LKeithR
04-21-2015, 12:32 PM
3.2 MegaPixels? That thing is ancient! No matter what you think, it doesn't take "good" pictures--it's really time for a new one. Newer cameras are so much better--you really deserve one...

gmax137
04-21-2015, 12:45 PM
"Newer cameras are so much better..." yeah, well I can't find a new point & shoot with a viewfinder. I guess I'm the only one who ever uses the finder. I've been mad at myself ever since I dropped my old Canon, with the lens extended. It didn't survive.

aostling
04-21-2015, 01:04 PM
... I can't find a new point & shoot with a viewfinder.

Here's one: http://www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/compacts/panasonic_dmczs50. It's a little pricey now, having been on the market for less than a month.

It has a 24-720mm (equivalent) zoom, and fits in my shirt pocket. Here is a photo I took of some Great Horned Owls which have taken up residence in a nearby palm tree.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u183/aostling/owlet_zpskaip0aje.jpg (http://s168.photobucket.com/user/aostling/media/owlet_zpskaip0aje.jpg.html)

mklotz
04-21-2015, 01:41 PM
Allan,

I'm going to buy the ZS50 as soon as the price stabilizes. I haven't found one to examine yet at local camera stores so, could you tell me, just how good is the viewfinder?

Also, what functions can be assigned to the circumlens ring? Can I use the ring for focus and still use the zoom adjustment lever around the shutter button?

I have an old ZS8 that is still my favorite travel camera. Having dragged a Canon SLR and three heavy lenses all around Europe I really appreciate something I can slip in my pocket that has enough zoom to nicely frame shots.

aostling
04-21-2015, 02:08 PM
... how good is the viewfinder?
Also, what functions can be assigned to the circumlens ring?

Marv,

I think you will like the camera. I shoot it in RAW and develop in Lightroom, but the few jpegs I have shot are very impressive.

The Control Ring around the lens can be set for many functions. These are the default functions used for the several recording modes: Step Zoom, Program Shift, Aperture, Shutter Speed , Scene change, and Picture effects change. You can override these to include Exposure Compensation, Aspect Ratio, ISO, and White Balance.

The EVF, with 1,116,000 dots , is excellent. It does not have a wide-angle eyepiece but the advantage of this is that I can see the entire scene while wearing my glasses. The only quibble is that the diopter adjusting dial sometimes gets knocked off its setting -- I may secure it in place with a little bit of black tape.

If you want to protect the screen, this (for the ZS40) fits perfectly, and uses no adhesive: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PANASONIC-Lumix-DMC-ZS40-DMC-TS60-Screen-Protector-GEARMAXX-Dual-Pack-/181371842291?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a3a9aaef3

[edit] In manual focus mode you can indeed use the Control Ring for focusing, and the toggle for zooming. It has focus peaking, with high or low sensitivity selection, and several colors.

mklotz
04-21-2015, 02:19 PM
Allan,

Sounds great. I'm not sure I have the patience to wait. Thanks for the info.

Oldguy
04-21-2015, 03:32 PM
If you want a "shop camera", check out the Canon A1400. I picked one up as a spare because it does has a viewfinder. Doesn't have the greatest feature set, but does have a macro mode and it was on sale for about $80.

Here's a link to the Canon site:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_a1400

Glenn

steve herman
04-21-2015, 05:55 PM
+1 to the above.

Tinker with it if you wish, maybe you can fix it, maybe something will be learned. Unless you have a strong attachment to the camera for some reason, just pitch it. My 8 megapix Kodak was under $100 some years ago, still going strong. It would not be worth repairing if it broke.

I bought a Cannon SX 170 IS 16.0 Mega Pixels and love it. Haven't tinkered with the broken camera yet. When I was 5 or 6 years old my dad gave me an old windup alarm clock that I took apart down to the last gear, I didn't get it back together though. A couple years later he got me an erecter set and that started me on my way to my interest in all things mechanical. All my children are the same way( 4 boys and three girls), I've heard it said that if children aren't introduced to mechanical things by the age of 10 they probable never will be interested in them.
Thanks for all the help,
steve

garyhlucas
04-21-2015, 06:32 PM
I took Dads alarm clock apart, and put it back together again working. Dad asked me if I took it apart and I admitted I did, but wanted to know how he knew. He said "It was riveted, now it has screws!" To this day before I pitch something mechanical I often tear it apart to see how it is made. A lot of times that lets me separate the metal and plastics so I can put it in recycling instead of the garbage.

Landfills "Mines for the next generation"

lakeside53
04-21-2015, 08:28 PM
I got tired of the cheaper "point/shoot" cameras (3 in three years) craping out with dirt from my pocket and other malaises. so I bought a Nikon AW1. Waterproof, shock proof, and interchangeable lenses. Great shop camera - no need to worry about grit, swarf, coolant, oil, general flith etc. or dropping it off the bench.

oldtiffie
04-22-2015, 12:57 AM
I've had two Panasonic Lummox cameras some years ago and they did a lot of good work. I bought the first one and when it gave up the ghost I bought the second one - and it had a broken lead to/from the computer board -and out it went.

I have since bought two Nikkon Coolpix cam\eras - first the L810 - that I Still have - but bought a Coolpix P600 which has a folding/rotatable/turning screen (as well as the eye-piece) and both work a treat.

My needs are very basic as all I use my cameras for is "detailing" for future reference. Other than that the cameras are on basic/default settings.

Neither my needs nor ability even come close to some of the pics I've seen from members here.

I usually have quite a bit to photograph in the shed/shop and the house /property and then the photographic stuff gets put away until the next session - weeks or months away.

They never leave the property/shed/house.

Black_Moons
04-22-2015, 02:44 PM
You can find cameras with viewfinders.. it is just they won't take into account zoom/manual focus unless you get an SLR ($$$$$)

Just get used to the screen on the back.

Paul Alciatore
04-22-2015, 03:17 PM
If you are buying a new one, don't get too hung up on the pixel count. There are more factors involved in a sharp image than the number of mega pixels. In fact, most cameras that boast 16 and 20 mega pixels, have sensors with far fewer pixels. The electronics in them manufacturers the additional pixels and it is just magnifying the blur.

I would look at the quality of the lens first. Most camera lenses are not up to even the reduced resolution of the imaging chip. And lenses with high zoom ratios will be a LOT worse than ones with moderate or small zoom ratios. Unless, of course, you are talking about $10,000 and up.

Evan
04-22-2015, 08:03 PM
When shopping for a new point and shoot look for something with the least number of pixels you can find. Current cheap cameras still use the number of pixels to try to impress the uninformed that it is somehow better. It isn't. The imagers are so small that making them with such tiny pixels is pushing the limits on the number of photons they can actually capture. This makes the imager remarkably inefficient and produces crappy images. For very decent pictures you do not need more that 8 to 10 megapixels at the most. There are still a very few very good small cameras that have 10 to 12 megapixels and the resulting image quality is very much better than the huge number of 18 to 20+ megapixels. That especially applies to situation such as shop photos where the best results are when taken without using flash. The bigger each pixel is the more light it catches. Given 10 megapixels on the same size imager as 20 megapixels the quantum efficiency is much higher and you cannot see the difference between that number of megapixels in any normal display.

My best shop camera is still my Nikon 4300 which has 4.3 megapixels and a true CCD imager of the old style which has very high quantum efficiency. The new CCD imagers are mostly just plain crap unless you invest in the larger imager sizes such as I recently bought to use on an Android smart phone. Not cheap though. If you can find a used Nikon 4300 (and ONLY the 4300) and it still works then buy it. You will be impressed.

I recently bought a Canon PowerShot SX200 for my now ex-wife and it is excellent. It is 12.1 megapixels and takes excellent low light images. If you can still find one it is a very good camera and not too expensive. It handles all sorts of picture taking situations and does it extremely well. It does have manual controls but they are completely unnecessary. The auto mode is about the best I have seen and I have a lot of cameras. The much larger sensor and lower pixel count than most point/shoots is the main reason it is so good.