PDA

View Full Version : Changing color of flexzilla hose. Anyone tried it?

vpt
04-21-2015, 06:32 PM
Anyone tried or successfully changed the color of their flexzilla hose?

I bought the garden hose for our business but it stands out to much. We want to change the color. I just got done trying RIT dark brown with a mix of vinegar for two hours (they recommend 1 hour) with no effect what so ever.

The only other option I can think of from here is a good brand (dupont, PPG) vehicle interior spray dye. I have used these before on interior panels from plastic and vinyl to leather and carpet with great results. But a garden hose is quite different.

We are looking for a darker earth tone color, dark brown, dark gray, dark something.

What say you?

Rosco-P
04-21-2015, 07:21 PM
Anyone tried or successfully changed the color of their flexzilla hose?

I bought the garden hose for our business but it stands out to much. We want to change the color.
We are looking for a darker earth tone color, dark brown, dark gray, dark something.

What say you?

Have the wife knit or crochet a sock for it. It will help keep your hose from freezing in winter as well.

Puckdropper
04-23-2015, 02:15 AM
Have the wife knit or crochet a sock for it. It will help keep your hose from freezing in winter as well.

Or maybe some split-loom tubing like they use for electrical cable.

Black Forest
04-23-2015, 06:51 AM
Just go buy a new hose with the desired color!

vpt
04-23-2015, 07:28 AM
Flexzilla only makes one color. All other hoses are hard like rocks.

I dug around my stash and found two interior dyes by PPG. One is a dark navy chevy blue and the other was a dark charcoal gray for honda. I would have rather just shot the whole thing with the dark gray but there wasn't enough. There was more of the dark blue but also just quite not enough so I mixed them together to get an even darker grayer blue.

Loaded the mixture into the sata 2000 digi and tried it out on a small section by the hose end and waited and watched. The PPG interior flash dries in about 5 minutes but I waited an hour to see what would happen if anything to the hose itself. Turns out, nothing. So I shot the entire hose and now have a very dark blue with gray tint flexzilla garden hose. It will be interesting to see how it holds up.

Michael Edwards
04-23-2015, 08:31 AM
I do like me some Flexzilla. Not crazy about the color tho.

ME

HWooldridge
04-23-2015, 09:13 AM
I seriously doubt you'll be able to dye or even paint hose to hold up during use. Elastomers have to be colored as they are compounded and formed so anything applied after the fact isn't likely to be successful in the long run.

vpt
04-23-2015, 09:34 PM
We will see what happens. It won't be to big of deal if some gets scratched or rubber off so long as most of it holds up and stays.

J Tiers
04-23-2015, 09:55 PM
We prefer the old fashioned black rubber... doesn't kink, wears well, and isn't stiff even in winter.

I'd really hate that screaming green color.....

kendall
04-24-2015, 12:28 AM
just use it as a shop hose for a few months.
No idea what material it's made of, but I've always had good luck painting plastics with lacquer.

vpt
04-24-2015, 07:35 AM
We prefer the old fashioned black rubber... doesn't kink, wears well, and isn't stiff even in winter.

I'd really hate that screaming green color.....

The black 100% rubber hoses seem to be getting hard to find. I have used the flexzilla air hose in the shop for some time now and loved it. So after searching for a rubber garden hose and seeing the flexzilla hose at a few different places I figured we may as well give that a try.

The bright green air hose doesn't bother me much but a bright green garden hose hanging on the house just looks like crap.

HWooldridge
04-24-2015, 09:25 AM
The black 100% rubber hoses seem to be getting hard to find. I have used the flexzilla air hose in the shop for some time now and loved it. So after searching for a rubber garden hose and seeing the flexzilla hose at a few different places I figured we may as well give that a try.

The bright green air hose doesn't bother me much but a bright green garden hose hanging on the house just looks like crap.

Home Depot down here sells the black rubber ones and they also sell a Goodyear version that is red and black striped. Both are much more expensive than the vinyl ones but they do last a long time.

I used to be able to get a gray PVC hose that would last at least 5-6 years lying outside in Central Texas sunshine but I can't find them anymore.