View Full Version : New Lathe Compound

06-11-2004, 08:48 PM
Several weeks ago, I asked for opinions on making a new compound for my 6" Atlas Lathe. I decided to go ahead, and give it a try. I am happy to report that it is finished, with results even better than I expected from myself. This was my first project where I really had to pay close attention to details and tolerances. The first link is a pic of the old and new compounds side by side...You can probaly tell why I wanted to replace the old one. The t-slot just kept getting worse all the time.


This next one shows it mounted on the lathe, and ready to go...


I did all the machine work on my Grizzly mill/drill. It was plenty of machine to take on this task. I did some minor scraping for the final fit-up. It was then sanded on a benchtop belt sander for the exposed surfaces. I then sent it to a friend who buffed, and gave it a really nice black oxide finish. I just got it back today, and am really happy with the results. I must confess that I made one booboo. I broke a drill bit off in the end where the lead screw bolts to it. I had all the other work done, and really hated to scrap the whole thing. I used a Dremel with a carbide burr, and ground the bit out (and alot of the surrounding metal). Then it was time for silver braze to fill the resulting hole, redrill, and then tap. Worked like a charm!

06-11-2004, 11:19 PM
Nice job.

Mike Burdick
06-11-2004, 11:37 PM
Looks Great!

Mike W
06-12-2004, 04:01 AM
Good job!

06-12-2004, 05:07 AM
Nice work, and congrats on the "save".


06-12-2004, 07:48 AM
........Really nice. Betcha you're proud of it, and rightly so. Show your wife and she says, "That's nice honey, did you carry out the trash?". At least, that's me at home. I don't show her squat anymore unless she comes out to the garage, er shop for something.

My one question is rather basic, but how did the dovetail milling go? How did you go about it?


06-12-2004, 09:21 PM

The dovetail was my first attempt at one. It went very well. I cut a rectangualr slot to start, and ran the dovetail cutter at a slow speed with lots of oil. I had consulted with a pro before starting, and he taught me about measuring between wires. That helped alot. I came to within .002, and left it go at that. I started by setting the depth flush against the bottom, and then backing off .005. The final cut was returned to flush, and finished it off. My pro also told me to stick to conventional insted of climb milling. He said that the dovetail cutter really likes to climb, and I wasn't trying to find out for myself. I am certainly no old timer at this, but if I can answer any other questions for you, I will be glad to help.

06-13-2004, 04:19 AM
........Arbo, again it sure looks like a fine job. The reason I asked about the dovetail milling is that I've always heard that dovetail mills were fragile. And when they say that, I take it to mean more fragile then regular endmills and I have sure chipped and broken flutes on those!

Being new to all this (comparatively) I understand that the secret, beside a good setup is rigidity. My Harbor Freight chinese mill-lathe combo produced many useable things and the mill part was the most able.

My staggering about in the dark wilderness with it taught me many things via broken tools, I could have more easily learned here. I didn't know anything about 'climb' milling but learned, and I made sure I was feeding against the tool's rotation.