PDA

View Full Version : Annular Cutter Holder for Drill Press

Tundra Twin Track
04-25-2015, 12:36 PM
I bought a MT 2 to 3/4''weldon with 2set screws for holding annular cutters from Accusize Industrial Tools. Priced at $66.00 cdn. plus $9.00 shipping ,comes with internal spring to push centering pin out to remove plug.I used a 1-1/4'' in a 17'' import drill press with no issues.They also come in MT 3 and R8 same price.

EddyCurr
04-25-2015, 01:50 PM
Is this a generic MT to Weldon adapter? Or is it a dedicated annular
holder?

I have a Hougan sheet metal set that is good to 3/4". Beyond this,
I use Bosch bi-metal hole saws on Lenox arbors. I am about to cut
some 2-1/2" and 3" holes this way today. (Hole saws do not give
nearly as nice a finish as an annular cutter; but for infrequent use,
one can purchase quite a number of saws for the price of a single
large annular.)

snowman
04-25-2015, 02:02 PM
Sounds scary to me. While you are only going to encounter any side loading for the first 1/8" of cut, you will encounter it, and that stop pin is not going to save your ass.

Hougen, Slugbuster, Bosch, etc....all have a bushing that increases rigidity of the spindle....I've used very few drill presses that I would trust with an annular cutter due to quill slop.

Just trying to save you $100...cause that's what annular cutters seem to cost these days.

EddyCurr
04-25-2015, 02:02 PM
Is this a generic MT to Weldon adapter? Or is it a dedicated annular
holder?Never mind. Found an image of one .

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqF,!jME1JZHyMkzBNglG2d)sg~~_12.JPG

Tundra Twin Track
04-25-2015, 04:04 PM
Sounds scary to me. While you are only going to encounter any side loading for the first 1/8" of cut, you will encounter it, and that stop pin is not going to save your ass.

Hougen, Slugbuster, Bosch, etc....all have a bushing that increases rigidity of the spindle....I've used very few drill presses that I would trust with an annular cutter due to quill slop.

Just trying to save you $100...cause that's what annular cutters seem to cost these days.
1-1/4'' probably be largest I use in lighter drill press,did not seem to chatter at all used light pressure till was 1/16" deep.Tryed 9/16" and 1" today worked good,upgraded set screws in holder.I have them up to 2-1/2" will use larger ones in mill.1-1/2" Milwaukee are $160.00 and 2-1/2" are $240.00 . Most of the high end holders can be as much as $300.00 so I thuoght I would try this import one,I use a coolant through holder on mill if have lots of holes to drill.