PDA

View Full Version : Double Headed Coin

DickDastardly40
04-27-2015, 03:33 PM
A conversation at work led me to try to make a double headed coin for S&Gs. One of those things where I should've taken pics of the process but didn't.

Anyhoo, my method was this, make a counter bored brass mandrel that a quarter just fits into for diameter and about half depth.

Superglue a quarter into the mandrel, head side down.

Counter bore the tails side off of the coin out to the flange to make a pocket until the nickel just witnesses through the copper core.

wave a flame over the mandrel so the glue releases and coin can be removed.

glue another coin on heads down and this time machine to remove the diameter so that it just inserts into the other half, taking some of the material away of the mandrel.

Face off the tails side until all the nickel is gone and take a thin layer of brass. Again show it a flame to remove the glue.

Glue the 2 halves together aligning the dates.

It turned out OK but probably because it is 2 pieces it doesn't ring like a coin when flipped and even feels dud in comparison with a real one when handling it.

Anybody else made them in the past and have any better methods to share?

RichR
04-27-2015, 03:52 PM
I think it was Mars-Red who posted pictures of a double sided coin a while back.

Georgineer
04-27-2015, 04:05 PM
S & Gs?

George

A.K. Boomer
04-27-2015, 04:07 PM
is it copper in there? can u solder them together? that would fill in the voids with material that will transfer the pitch..

EddyCurr
04-27-2015, 04:08 PM
I think it was Mars-Red who posted pictures of a double sided coin a while back.Yes, his thread "Magic!" back last December (http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/65409-Magic!). One I remember well.

Paul Alciatore
04-27-2015, 04:08 PM
It probably would be better to use a solder paste to join the halves. That would make it more solid. Apply the paste, cook it on 550 degree F for about three minutes in a toaster oven.

Your machining sequence sounds good to me.

DickDastardly40
04-27-2015, 04:14 PM
Thanks for that Rich, his method of making the cover for the penny is pretty much what I did for one half of the quarter (an eighth I guess).

I'll try again and solder it, good plan.

S&Gs = ****s & Giggles which is all very well until someone giggles and ****s.

JoeLee
04-27-2015, 06:49 PM
Defacing of Govt. property is a no no!!!

JL.................

Frank K
04-27-2015, 07:25 PM

JL.................

If its my money how can it be Govt. property? Oh, yea, right. Its never really my money. My bad!

ironmonger
04-27-2015, 07:29 PM

JL.................

All you have to do is say it's art. There was no intent to defraud anyone...

oh wait a minute... double headed coin...
Yup, you're in trouble.

paul

Lee Cordochorea
04-27-2015, 07:30 PM

JL.................Once upon a time, perhaps, when the coins were silver. No longer. Google is your friend.

JoeLee
04-27-2015, 08:36 PM
If its my money how can it be Govt. property? Oh, yea, right. Its never really my money. My bad! It's never your money!!!!

JL..............

Mike Amick
04-27-2015, 09:53 PM
S & Gs?

George

****s and giggles

edit ... shlts and giggles

that was interesting how the forum anti swear-er caught my word and star'd it out

also interesting what is considered profanity now. On prime time tv they say quite a
few that use to be on the George Carlin list. If it can be said on prime time, it should be
able to be said on a forum. (humorous curiosity with some logic)

old-biker-uk
04-28-2015, 11:31 AM
Here's one I made earlier
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/S19XtFDgtzUR9QmB-p2xcElWuefxg2vzxecvY2Jg3tU=w147-h207-p-no
Machining sequence as the OP but I bored soft jaws to hold the coins.
Halves silver soldered together so it 'rings' when spun.
Over here the legislation re. coinage is 'blah blah blah ... with intent to defraud' being the important bit.
I waste a lot of time with coins as can be seen here..... (http://www.remark.me.uk/pages/hobbies/cut%20coins/coins.html)

Mark

Mike Amick
04-28-2015, 01:57 PM
Im impressed Mark, nice work. (on your page)

metalbender
04-28-2015, 02:44 PM
If it's illegal to deface coins, then all those old "roll your penny into a souvenir machines" at tourist places have made criminals out of all those that have used them. Pretty neat for keychains though.