PDA

View Full Version : Junk Yard Hunting

Maxim
06-12-2004, 01:15 PM
Hey,

I keep hearing about all these great finds which can be obtained at a junkyard. However, I can't seem to locate one. All I can find is automotive junkyards, does anyone know of a good place around Newark/ New York to look for industrial scrap? Thanks!

Maxim

Forrest Addy
06-12-2004, 01:28 PM
You are in industrial salvage heaven. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//redface.gifok in the Yellow Paged for industrial salvage, surplus, and similar headings. Talk to local machine shop operators, motors and drives sales people, maintenence electricians, etc. One leads to another but you do have to find the first one.

A good scrounger develops an intuition not unlike that of a detective. Personal contacts and their maintenence are a vital ingredient to the succes of a good scrounger.

And you have to be at the right place at the right time.

I remember a feed store owner who had a shed with an 21" American Pacemaker dating from the mid 60's (this was 1985 or so) a left-over from a previous tenant. The machine had a taper and a good if complete set of chuck and steadyrests. I asked him if he'd sell it to me. He said no. Oh well. I'd check back with him in a few months.

When I did it was gone. "You didn't come back so I sold it to the gas station guy down the street." He bought it for $500 and sold it in Seattle the next day for $6000.

Excuse me. I have to go out to the butt kicking machine, now.

ibewgypsie
06-12-2004, 01:59 PM
More metal recycler than junkyard I suppose. I see companies trashing whole buildings full of machinery at times.. Just nothing that catches my eye.

David

MikeHenry
06-12-2004, 03:56 PM
Another potential source for used machine tools or accessories is local riggers.

DR
06-12-2004, 07:28 PM
Junk yards, industrial salvage yards, recyclers, scrap dealers, whatever you call them, they're getting scarce in the Pacific NW.

High land values, property taxes, polution concerns, etc, etc are making these places a thing of the past. 12 years ago I could hop in my truck and make the rounds of 5 or 6 of these places in a 20 mile radius. None of these "real" salvage places left.

A couple of these places were my favorites, if the item was iron or steel it was 50 cents a pound, didn't matter what it was.

Chester
06-12-2004, 08:07 PM
Keep your eye on "junk-man trucks" also, they always have interesting stuff and know where other things are.......that you can intercept before it gets to the scrapyard.

Maxim
06-13-2004, 03:39 PM
Hey Everybody,

Thanks for the responses I'll try to look around. Namely the type of place I was thinking of would be something along the lines of a pick and pull auto junkyard but with non-automotive stuff. Think Junkyard wars http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif Any other tips for dumpster diving I should be aware of?

Maxim

Pete Burne
06-13-2004, 04:28 PM
I bought my J head Bridgeport from a rigger that was turning around surplus equipment from a plant move.

The mill is not pristine (era 1960) but it is very clean and not abused. Paid $1000 and it was 30 minutes from home. I was able to hear it run and look it over. I don't know how anybody can buy a "pig in a poke" on ebay.

Pete

nheng
06-13-2004, 08:32 PM
Maxim: You're in my old stomping grounds but it's been many years since I lived there. Not a junkyard but check out Force Machinery down on RT. 22 in Union. I saw my first Unimat lathe out there. Also, check around on RT. 46 West for surplus and scrap. My dad and I used to hit some scrap metal dealers around (I think) Wallington. Incidentally, NJIT was almost my alma matter but I went to the other place on the cliff.
Den