PDA

View Full Version : lathe shakey....

gstprecision
04-30-2015, 08:03 PM
I got this new to me 13x40 Enco. Put it in my garage, went to level it, and when all levelled if I push on the headstock it is rocking. If I push hard enough I can lift the front feets.

I put it back down to make sure I did not screw up and same thing. The stand is original, but appears small for such a big lathe. The leveling pads are 8 inch apart.

I am thinking of extending the leveling pad. Any ideas?

Thanks
GST

tmarks11
04-30-2015, 08:51 PM
Bolt it to the floor with a concrete fastener.

Get a couple pieces of 2x2 tubing about 18" long, and bolt it to that with leveling pads on the end of the tubing to widen the stance. That would be the simplest solution if you don't want to drill into your concert floor.

rickyb
04-30-2015, 08:54 PM
I got this new to me 13x40 Enco. Put it in my garage, went to level it, and when all levelled if I push on the headstock it is rocking. If I push hard enough I can lift the front feets.

I put it back down to make sure I did not screw up and same thing. The stand is original, but appears small for such a big lathe. The leveling pads are 8 inch apart.

I am thinking of extending the leveling pad. Any ideas?

Thanks
GST

I would expect the leveling pads to be wider than the machine. Right now you have a high center of gravity, maybe 40" and it is set back from the center of the bed due to the gear box and motor components. Definitely spread the pads as much as you can.

Try and determine where the c.g. is in the fore/aft direction and place the new pads 12" either side of that. Basically as wide as you can make it. A 28" bar bolted to the original 8" pad holes should work. Depending on your height, raising the lathe using channel instead of a bar may be worth doing. It is a bit more comfortable if you are 6' tall or so.

Regards,
Rick

velocette
04-30-2015, 08:58 PM
Hi
First off DO NOT use the lathe until you have made it secure. According to my limited knowledge this machine weighs in at well over half a ton.
Assuming that the leveling Pads are on the underside of the lathe bed and NOT under the stand. (Assumption ist he Mother of all Mistakes)
This needs a couple of bolts to anchor the base to the stand first off.
The base needs to be preferably anchored to the concrete floor with four anchor bolts
10 or 12 mm bolts will be adequate.
A steady stay to a wall will help make it steadier.
The disadvantage of this is that it also transmits noise and vibrations.
The dimensions of the footprint of the base and the lathe base will help.

Eric

Doozer
04-30-2015, 10:31 PM
....went to level it, and when all levelled if I push on the headstock it is rocking. ....

Might think to re-evaluate your leveling procedure.

-D

gstprecision
05-01-2015, 08:59 AM
I am definately not using it til it is solid.

Definately need to extend the footprint. I was thinking using either angle iron or solid, not sure.

I do not understand why they put such a large lathe on a small base like that???

GST

Rosco-P
05-01-2015, 09:22 AM
Can you bolt the stand to the concrete, roughly leveled and use leveling legs between the lathe bed and the stand?

Black_Moons
05-01-2015, 11:28 AM
I am definately not using it til it is solid.

Definately need to extend the footprint. I was thinking using either angle iron or solid, not sure.

I do not understand why they put such a large lathe on a small base like that???

GST

Cost savings and bigger feet would get in the way of some installations. But yes wider feet are a very common mod. that said I have not had any problems with my lathe on its narrow feet, but it sits on all 6 feet very securely and it would take a really good amount of weight to tip it.

Much like my mill, I don't expect it to be some safe unmovable mass. I expect it to be a dangerous giant chunk of iron that will kill me if I mistreat it.

chrisinestes
05-01-2015, 12:28 PM
I've got a wobbly Enco 1340, too. I haven't figured it out exactly, but I'll bolt rectangular steel tubing to the stand to spread the mounting pads out. That should give me a spot to trip over, too.:rolleyes:

MikeL46
05-01-2015, 12:45 PM
If it is close to a wall, just bolt it to the wall as high up as you can. In CA I do that for earthquake safety.

Mike

flylo
05-01-2015, 04:57 PM
If you machine in the evening you'll be "rocking the night away". Turn up the tunes, turn on the lathe & enjoy!

gstprecision
05-02-2015, 07:28 AM
Lmao Flylo.....

I have removed the levelling feets. Down on the ground and it is solid. I am not sure I will use it like that, my floor is sloped toward the front of the garage so the lathe is about 3/4" out of level from the width of the bed.

Will probably look at adding some extension to the base, don't need much, just enough to mount the levelling feet outside the base.

GST