PDA

View Full Version : NEW LATHE final decision I think.

rbjscott
05-02-2015, 01:51 PM
I have decided to buy a Precision Mathews 14X40 HD with DRO and taper attachment. If any one has any input or experience with or about this lathe please post.

Toolguy
05-02-2015, 02:34 PM
I looked at a PM lathe that someone else bought. It seemed like a well made, decent machine. Hard to tell without using, but it was more finished looking than a lot of the Chinese ones. I think you will be happy with that choice.

partsproduction
05-03-2015, 06:31 PM
A machine tool salesman once told me that the best lathes are the ones they put their own names on, the ones they send importers are seconds. That doesn't make any sense to me because all those guys, even the mainland Chinese, are true capitalists, and a capitalist wants growth, and growth comes from satisfying customers. Plus, as Rush said, the farmers always send their best produce to the farthest markets, so they will attract a larger market footprint.
When I see a name like Precision Mathews I always wonder what the manufacturer name is.

As far as value of the brand goes I expect they are good lathes, Chinese capitalist are getting very good, and the old bias no longer applies most of the time.

partsproduction
05-03-2015, 06:47 PM
I checked google "Youtube PM 1440E" and saw a video. My honest opinion is that it is a light machine, suitable for hobby use. The video maker said it was 5000 lbs but I'd be surprised if it was half that. The tailstock barrel looks too small. The gears are noisy, but that could be the camera's microphone making it sound that way.
The hand wheels are nice, I've used a lathe with bar handles and, having used round hand wheels the flat bars felt weird, and when doing careful facing or turning by hand it's nice to wrap both hands around a large round wheel for control. I thought the ways looked closer together than I'm used to seeing.

You get what you pay for, and as always it depends on what you need the tool for when deciding how much $ is justified.
parts

iMisspell
05-03-2015, 08:24 PM
Ive owned one for acouple years now and for a low cost import lathe, i love it.
Mine is a 1440LB, LB = Large Bore and thats the reason i bought it (could not find any other 14x40 lathe under $10,000 with that size spindle bore), 2" spindle bore (well its close, 1.98ish (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoSrugyFKFU)). I have run CNC lathes for many years before getting the PM lathe for my basement and for the price and size, i dont think you can beat it. Machine is consistent, which was important to me. Shipping weight was around 2,000lbs and yes, as 'partsproduction' pointed out, running the machine 700rpm and above its fairly louder then a 16" + swing lathe and for that reason, i made a Delrin idler gear (http://site.thisisjusthowidoit.com/delrin-120-tooth-idler-gear).
Matt (the owner of PM) was great to work with, we talked for a month or so before i bought it and he was informative and strait up.

Personaly, if someone is looking for a manual lathe for proto type or hobby/basement work, you really cant go wrong with a PM lathe. Only bad thing is that Matt is a small business compared to Grizzle, Jet, etc. so theres no telling if he will be around 10 years from now.

_

tmarks11
05-03-2015, 09:40 PM
I checked google "Youtube PM 1440E" and saw a video. My honest opinion is that it is a light machine

PM1440E is not anything like the PM1440HD.

The 1440HD is built to the same pattern as the Jet 1440W. It has a one piece solid cast iron base, and has a bed that is 10" wide (vs the normal 7.75" wide bed found in the light duty 12x36, 13x40, and 14x40 class of lathe you are thinking about). It weighs in at 2750#, almost twice the weight of the typical home shop machine.

Try googling "PM1440HD", as that is what the OP said he wanted to buy.

http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM1440HD.html

To the OP: PM is a small company, and they do not stock most machines, so unless you get lucky and/or are ordering their more popular machine (1340GT), you might end up waiting 3-4 months for your purchase.

When I see a name like Precision Mathews I always wonder what the manufacturer name is.
Well, the original owner of the import firm was named Matt. The guy who bought the company from him is also (coincidently) named Matt.

They import the machines from more than one manufacturer, none of whom are named "Matt"....

tlfamm
05-04-2015, 03:32 PM
...Only bad thing is that Matt is a small business compared to Grizzle, Jet, etc. so theres no telling if he will be around 10 years from now.
_

Grizzly has no stated "sunset" policy. When a product is withdrawn from the market, for how long will Grizzly continue to support customers who purchased a discontinued machine with parts and service?

Anyone who purchased a Grizzly G0484 mill (RF45 clone) can answer that question: support and parts vanished at the point of product cancellation, or the at the end of the warranty period, if one was still in effect.

Not exactly the behavior of a mature machine-tool vendor.

rbjscott
05-04-2015, 05:35 PM
Well I placed the order for the machine today (14X40 HD) With tapper attachment and DRO.

gundog
05-04-2015, 07:21 PM
Cool post some pictures when you get it and tell us how you like it.

iMisspell
05-04-2015, 07:47 PM
Ohh... missed you where looking at the HD.
Im sure you are going to get many years of good use, best of luck.

Not exactly the behavior of a mature machine-tool vendor.
Good call.

_

RB211
05-04-2015, 08:36 PM
A machinist dealer near where I live is selling a Monarch 10ee for around 8k...
A larger Chinese import, or a 10ee in excellent shape... Oh wait, I have money for neither! Can always dream...
Honestly though, most of the parts I make, with the size of material I work with, can be done just fine on a 10" lathe. Only time I find a need for a larger lathe is when I am turning train wheels, but vendors are now selling CNC machined wheels for about what I can buy the stock for... And I have never needed a long bed yet, 95% of the work I do is very close to the chuck.
The grizzly 12x24 would work well too...

tlfamm
05-04-2015, 08:46 PM
A machinist dealer near where I live is selling a Monarch 10ee for around 8k...
A larger Chinese import, or a 10ee in excellent shape... Oh wait, I have money for neither! Can always dream...
Honestly though, most of the parts I make, with the size of material I work with, can be done just fine on a 10" lathe. Only time I find a need for a larger lathe is when I am turning train wheels, but vendors are now selling CNC machined wheels for about what I can buy the stock for... And I have never needed a long bed yet, 95% of the work I do is very close to the chuck.
The grizzly 12x24 would work well too...

Get your self to New Hampshire:

http://nh.craigslist.org/tls/4986140041.html

and don't pay that much ...

Edit: it's a 36", not a 24" - also not the "gunsmith" model