PDA

View Full Version : WAy OT: phone problems

loose nut
05-02-2015, 04:24 PM
This is just a post so that others that may have the same problem can fix it.

We lost our phones both wireless and the land line this week. After talking to the phone company a couple of times I finally found someone that knew what happened. If the battery on a wireless phone (not a cell phone but a wireless house phone) is low and happens to go out when someone is on the phone, not necessarily the same handset, the phone may not disconnect when you hang up, leaving you without a dial tone because the system thinks you are still on the phone. Outside callers will get a busy signal.

The solution is to unplug the base unit and the land lines from the jacks and also the power for at least 5 minutes. That forces a reset of the phones and the dial tone comes back. It worked.

Hope that saves somebody some trouble.

Evan
05-02-2015, 04:34 PM
While we are on this topic does anyone know of a solution for Samsung Android phone power problems? This is constantly reported on line and Samsung refuses to acknowledge it. What happens is that when the phone is fully charged in the evening and then turned off for the night (full OFF, not sleeping) then in the morning it reports a nearly dead battery (5%) and must be charged again. I have been trying to find a real answer to this problem and have had no luck as yet. It is not a worn out battery as my phone hasn't ever been used much and it isn't some sort of bad connection anywhere, it really is fully charged according to the App Battery Spy. Of course, there is no such thing as turning the power fully off since the screen comes on to show it is charging even when turned "full off". It does this just sometimes, not every time it is turned off. Sometimes it will run for days on the same charge. Putting it into "airplane mode" makes no difference even though it turns off all transmitters (supposedly).

gvasale
05-02-2015, 07:18 PM
Are any apps running that haven't been terminated before you powered it down? Those will shorten the time between charges in normal operating modes. Are any extra screens hidden behind the wallpaper as well?

ahidley
05-02-2015, 07:19 PM
Evan, I had Samsung droid charging problems also. I searched the internet with no luck. I user the Google email backup feature. I went into settings and reset my phone. This deleted everything. The when it comes back up it'll ask for a gmail account. I put that in and reloaded everything. The phone did it all by itself. It worked great. It even brought my favorites back. It will not bring back photos or downloads or passwords. Also it will place icons on the screen in the order it redownloads them. All power problems are fixed now. That was my last resort but it worked.

Evan
05-02-2015, 09:21 PM
I have virtually no extra apps on the phone. I reset to factory when I set up the cell account and the only extra apps are the battery monitor and a cpu monitor. I have also disabled various apps that I have no use for. There is nothing else that isn't required by a cell phone, not even e-mail. When it is running the battery life is usually excellent, its when it is turned full off that it goes flat in a big hurry. This can't be an actual battery problem. It must have something to do with the system software and how it is working with battery calibration and perhaps voltage sensing. One thing that bothers me is that when it shuts down it runs the vibrator for a full second right at the end of the shutdown sequence. I have no clue why but it cannot be turned off except by putting it into "silent" mode, something that isn't very useful. When the vibrator runs it sucks a lot of power and by my thinking that may be momentarily dropping the battery voltage a lot which is then screwing the voltage calibration. I haven't found any apps that can control the vibrator without rooting the system and I am not anxious to do that.

edit: Also, all data transmission is blocked via settings on the service provider as well as the phone. Data can only be transmitted via wi-fi, which is turned off at all times. So is blutooth and anything else such as location etc. Its a phone, nothing else. I have two Samsung tablets and they don't ever do this.

ahidley
05-02-2015, 10:01 PM
Try taking the battery out overnight and see if it dies.

Evan
05-02-2015, 10:04 PM
Yeah, I may just do that although I don't think that is the problem. This has been reported by many people on line and it is never the battery for those who have done what you suggest.

Paul Alciatore
05-02-2015, 10:22 PM
Evan, just don't turn it off. If you don't want to be disturbed by it, put it in the refrigerator until breakfast.

Juiceclone
05-03-2015, 12:06 AM
I agree with above...don't turn it off. I charge my samsung every night with it on and have no problems..shows full charge in the am..
FYI ..some..devices rely on their internal systems to regulate the charging process and won't charge unless they ARE turned on...they usually state that somewhere in the user manual if so.

Evan
05-03-2015, 04:10 AM
I was just playing around with it. For no apparent reason after turning it off and back on a few times with variable times off, it came up showing in Battery Spy that it was drawing 35% drain power per hour. Yet no apps other than normal 4 were running. Not high CPU speed either. Turned it on and off a couple of more times and suddenly the drain dropped to 4% per hour, where it should be, more or sometimes even less. Some drain depends on the strength of the cell signal but I am very close so the signal should be at minimum power. That should NOT be an issue when full off though. Not at all sure what is happening but it must be something to do with sensing battery voltage is my guess. I'm going to open it and see if there are possible bad connections.

Black_Moons
05-03-2015, 05:56 AM
Might I recommend you poke at it with an IR thermonitor?

Maybe combined with a thin blanket if needed for extra sensativity, you should be able to easily tell if it actually is using a lot of power or not by its rise above ambient temp.

kendall
05-03-2015, 08:52 AM
This is just a post so that others that may have the same problem can fix it.

We lost our phones both wireless and the land line this week.
clipped for brevity
Outside callers will get a busy signal.

We get that problem about 3 times a year, in my case it's not our phones. First time it happened, I replaced every line from the the service box with no effect, called them up and have the lines checked, typically it takes about two minutes and the house phone will ring with a service person on saying a relay had stuck.

loose nut
05-03-2015, 09:49 AM
That is another problem with the phones.

The phone infrastructure is slowly dying because there is little incentive to introduce new tech or major upgrades in the face of completion from cell phones etc. The result is more equipment failures and phone problems.

Evan
05-03-2015, 12:08 PM
Not quite. There is a guy renting the apartment across from mine. He is staying here for a couple of months and he works for Telus, our major land line provider. He is the supervisor of a crew that is in town and they are installing the "fibre last mile" to the outside and inside of every building in town that has land line service. It will be finished in another month and when it is I will be able to get on Internet with a maximum speed of a gigabit per second.

This is the next step in land line service of course and all new phones here will be digital and most probably wireless as well. Of course, this also means that how fast your internet works will be entirely dependent on your computer, not your connection. I also expect it means that you will be able to connect your existing cell phone to the land line via local blutooth or equivalent.

RichR
05-03-2015, 12:26 PM
Of course, this also means that how fast your internet works will be entirely dependent on your computer, not your connection.

I suspect how fast your Internet works will be a function of how fast the sites you connect to are.

Georgineer
05-03-2015, 12:49 PM
I suspect how fast your Internet works will be a function of how fast the sites you connect to are.

In the UK it's a function of how fat your wallet is.

George

Evan
05-03-2015, 01:36 PM
Canada has been at or near the top of communications since day one, not too surprising considering that Alexander Bell was Canadian.
It is now government policy to connect every Canadian to some form of high speed internet no matter where they live. In remote areas such as where I used to live that means satellite but even that has improved dramatically recently. The connection I had there was consistently 5 megabits per second but not cheap at around $65 US per month. I now have around 20 Mb per second with no effective cap (250 gigs per month) and it is costing about $20 US per month. That will go up to $40 after six months but still a reasonable price. The Telus connection will be a bundle with TV, Internet and land line phone for under $100, last I checked. I currently do not have any contract so I can change on 30 days notice.

danlb
05-03-2015, 01:40 PM
As a retired Bell Telephone System (AT&T) technician I can provide some background.

The land line phone system is probably the most trouble free thing I know. It's monitored constantly by people as well as some very sophisticated hardware and software. Everything except the wires to your house is fully redundant and in a "hot spare" condition.

Loose Nut's problem is what's known as being "high and dry". It's a mode that the switching system puts your line in when there is a short or a phone that is knocked off hook. Basically, the switching system does not waste time checking to see if you are off hook every millisecond. When you disconnect the offending phone, the system eventually notices and sets it back to normal mode.

Back when I was a switchman, we would monitor the phones on the high and dry list, and we'd refer them to repair service if we saw a pattern that indicated the phone or line was bad.

Dan

boslab
05-03-2015, 02:18 PM
I bought my daughter a samsung galaxy phone, it flattens the battery at an alarming rate, I think I'm going to get her an iPhone they don't appear to have the same battery life issues, they go standby for days not hours, we've been caught out with it going flat loads of times, checked to se if there were any terminate stay resident sort of things but nothing found, if you go on the internet if dies even quicker, all in all it's a crap phone.
Mark

Evan
05-03-2015, 02:49 PM
I tried something last night based on the possibility that running the vibrator at shutdown is screwing up the battery calibration. I charged the phone to near max last night and left the charger plugged in as I turned it off. The hypothesis being that the charger will prevent the voltage drop happening as much during shutoff. When I powered it up this am it still showed 93% of full charge. So, it may be as simple as turning it off with the charger still plugged in and then when fully shut down disconnect it. This may also explain why it seems to happen intermittently.

Incidentally, the phone has now been on for about three hours and is now showing 92% full charge. The one I have is the Samsung Discover.

loose nut
05-03-2015, 07:20 PM
Canada has been at or near the top of communications since day one, not too surprising considering that Alexander Bell was Canadian.

Evan, he was actually Scottish.

Lived in the US (inventing the telephone) for awhile but spent most of his life in Canada, the last half anyway. He did build airplanes and invented the hydrofoil while living here.

Evan
05-03-2015, 07:24 PM
So I wonder what that makes me? I was born in Berkeley but I have Canadian and US citizenship and can also have Danish citizenship.

kendall
05-04-2015, 12:28 AM
I bought my daughter a samsung galaxy phone, it flattens the battery at an alarming rate, I think I'm going to get her an iPhone they don't appear to have the same battery life issues, they go standby for days not hours, we've been caught out with it going flat loads of times, checked to se if there were any terminate stay resident sort of things but nothing found, if you go on the internet if dies even quicker, all in all it's a crap phone.
Mark

My phone confused me for a while, sometimes I could go for days without having to charge it, other times charge it daily. Finally realized the days it needed recharging the most were the days I worked with metal, in the wood shop I have 5 bars, in the metal shop it's always searching.

Evan
05-04-2015, 01:18 AM
Signal strength makes a very big difference to battery life even when it is not being used to make a call. The lower the incoming signal the stronger the outgoing signal and battery drain. That's normal for all "smart" phones. it can depend on how it is placed in your pocket and what you have in your pocket with it, such as a metallized body pen as well as what you may be wearing such as a metal necklace. The wavelengths are very short so things in the similar size range as the phone matter a lot and can very much change the signal strength, usually making it worse. That applies to anything metallic or even slightly conductive anywhere near the phone including your body and your hand. How you hold the phone matters. The difference between maximum and minimum output signal is a factor of a little over 100.

Even when not on a call the phone is constantly polling the cell transmitter tower to make sure it is "on line". So, it is always transmitting pulses, not just searching with the receiver.

danlb
05-04-2015, 02:55 AM
I have the galaxy S6 running lollypop (the OS version). In the 20 years that I've had a cell phone, I have never turned them off at night. Night is when they charge. I use my phone like a portable computer. As a result of that use, it's on a charger when I'm in the car or at my desk.

It's not very useful to refer to the phone as "Samsung Galaxy" when reporting problems. There are a dozen different models with half a dozen OS images that are considered "current". The hardware is vastly different for the US models versus the international ones.

I've turned my phone on and off a dozen times since I got it. ( I do extensive testing of a new phone) No problems at all.

Someone said that they would get an apple instead. Don't bother. They don't do any better. My friends and I compare notes and all of them are subject to the same problems when they phone is acting as a pedometer, activity tracker, location beacon and all the rest. The newer galaxies (S6 and Edge) do have a "low power" mode that turns off most of the background services. It has an ultra low power mode that extends the standby to several days. The ultra low power mode shuts down everything and even the screen is set to a black and white mode that sips power.

Dan

Evan
05-04-2015, 04:27 AM
I turn mine off because I don't fully trust lithium battery charging systems, and for good reason. For starters, lithium batteries last longest if they are stored at about 2/3 charge, not full charge. Lithiums also die regardless of being used and recharged or not. They have about a three to maybe four year lifetime for most of them just sitting on the shelf. They also have a limit on the number of charge cycles they can take and it can be surprisingly low, as in several hundred only. So, I want to charge it full and then use it until it nearly runs out. If the one I have were working properly that would mean at least two days use before it needs another charge cycle, sometimes three. These things are designed for constant replacement with the new and latest models. Rather expensive toys for what I want it for.

loose nut
05-04-2015, 11:15 AM
So I wonder what that makes me? I was born in Berkeley but I have Canadian and US citizenship and can also have Danish citizenship.

An AmeriCana Viking?:D Exactly what my wife is.

I would say that since Bell spent most of his life in Canada we can claim some ownership but so can the Scottish. I don't know if he ever took out citizenship here but in those days people from the British Empire just moved where ever they wanted to without doing any formal paperwork. Not any more.

Seastar
05-04-2015, 03:03 PM
Three weeks ago I caught my Samsung S5 on a line on the boat and dropped it in the ocean.
I liked that phone.
My new Samsung S6 does some very strange things.
For example, I charge it every night and by midnight the start screen comes on at full brillance and stays on until it's shut off?
It will run for three days before it needs charging but I rarely let it go that long.
There are also some strange screens that seem to appear out of nowhere.
I guess I need to live with it for a while.
If it doesn't shape up there is always the deep six solution again.
Bill

ahidley
05-04-2015, 06:39 PM
Seastar. When my Samsung gets to the %100 charge it lights up the display.

bborr01
05-05-2015, 11:20 AM
Evan,

I had similar problems with my Samsung s2 and decided to leave the phone on my nightstand when I am in bed and have it plugged in and charging while I sleep. My newer S5 has much better battery life.

It made sense to have the phone next to the bed in case of a night time emergency like a break in or other similar problem.

Also, I would try deleting the battery spy app and see if that makes a difference. Your phone should have the information that you need without an app to tell you how your battery is doing.

Brian

Juiceclone
05-05-2015, 04:11 PM
FYI U can get double size battery packs on eBeast with the larger back cover for many phones. I've always used them and have no problem with batt life . U can also install an app called AdvancedTaskKiller that shuts down "things" that don't need to be running in the background. It can be set to auto clean up every time the screen shuts down.

Evan
05-05-2015, 07:57 PM
The battery Spy app gives a lot more information than the system app. In particular, it gives exact voltage level, percentage up/down per hour, actual current percentage and expected time to dead and produces a graph over 1 hour to one week, which is very nice.