PDA

View Full Version : Well, I am having to re arrange my garage/shop for a new project..

cuemaker
05-03-2015, 06:28 PM
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa129/xringx/DSC01469_zpsiqmttx0c.jpg (http://s201.photobucket.com/user/xringx/media/DSC01469_zpsiqmttx0c.jpg.html)

1974 Datsun 260Z

Going to do a restomod...Put in a LS1 engine and a T5 tranny. I already have the engine for a 04 Vette and a T5 tranny from an 01 Camaro along with long headers.

I will strip it myself and take it to be media blasted then will see what I really have...

Wife not thrilled with losing her garage parking space..

Guido
05-03-2015, 06:56 PM
Mine followed me home, hunks, parts 'n pieces, atop a uHaul trailer. The fellow was correct: 'Figure how much cash/labor you will spend to finish it the way you invision it-----then double it'.

boslab
05-03-2015, 07:01 PM
Hope you get more car than hole back from the blasters, they have a Nast habit of finding them, nice car, some interesting mods, I have an old audi 80 for reworking, the damn thing has less rust than my wife's, and it's 16 years old, the shell was galvanised after assembly, can't wait to get to it but building a new house takes up some serious effort, then the shop gets rebuild, higher roof so I can get a 2 post in
Mark

winchman
05-04-2015, 12:51 AM
I hope you don't have to deal with this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/winchman/Smoker1002_zpsf67dbdb3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/winchman/43de33b4-396e-4b46-874f-05223bebd0e8_zpsgyjvon6x.jpg

1-800miner
05-04-2015, 01:03 AM
I had one of those cars.
Driving up a small rise onto a flat stretch of a county road and Lo and Behold here is an airplane landing directly in my face.
I veered right,so did he.
I veered left,so did he.
Hit me square in the windshield.It took a couple of seconds to realize that it was a remote control plane with a six foot wing span and I had just shat myself for nothing.

cuemaker
05-04-2015, 06:57 AM
Winchman...

The body and frame (unibody) is very solid base on inspection. Floor pans are good, no obvious serious rust spots... The interior is a wreck with missing pieces.

But once it is media blasted, then we shall really know

flylo
05-04-2015, 07:55 AM
I had one of those cars.
Driving up a small rise onto a flat stretch of a county road and Lo and Behold here is an airplane landing directly in my face.
I veered right,so did he.
I veered left,so did he.
Hit me square in the windshield.It took a couple of seconds to realize that it was a remote control plane with a six foot wing span and I had just shat myself for nothing.

Thanks! I spit coffee all over the screen! Had to be a hoot!

vpt
05-04-2015, 09:04 AM
Exciting stuff! Media blasting sure does make cars surprise you!

justanengineer
05-04-2015, 06:34 PM
Exciting stuff! Media blasting sure does make cars surprise you!

One thing is for certain, rust will find a way...

Spin Doctor
05-04-2015, 06:36 PM
Just my opinion but I think its too much motor. I know that 240/60/80s and Porsche 924s have been done with small block chevys and the AC Ace was of course the one of the original franken sports cars. This I think would be wild. A first generation Z car with a really nice twin cam inline six. Something from BMW maybe, to a large degree its a matter of how power the chassis can handle.

vpt
05-04-2015, 07:24 PM
There is no such thing as "Too much motor"... Pfffft. :P

cuemaker
05-04-2015, 10:57 PM
Just my opinion but I think its too much motor. I know that 240/60/80s and Porsche 924s have been done with small block chevys and the AC Ace was of course the one of the original franken sports cars. This I think would be wild. A first generation Z car with a really nice twin cam inline six. Something from BMW maybe, to a large degree its a matter of how power the chassis can handle.

Putting in a LZ1 has become the most popular engine switch. From my reading on quite a few forums, the 280zx turbo engine was the most popular, then people started doing the 350 small blocks, and now its all about the LS1. The aluminium engine along with the ability to place back in the engine bay make for a very decent weight split, so I have been told.

There are no less than 3 separate companies who make a "kit" to accomplish this which included engine mounts, headers and tranny supports.

mars-red
05-05-2015, 09:28 AM
Fantastic project! This is one of my favorite cars, and I love well done motor swaps. My dad is currently working on swapping the V8 from a Land Rover into an MGB, again with the Borg Warner T5. I'm extremely impressed with the World Class flavor of the T5 transmissions, they seem like an excellent, strong design for such a compact unit.

I hope you keep us updated with pics as you make progress!

j king
05-05-2015, 10:57 AM
Yes a cool project look forward to your progress! I have been wanting a car project for years. Kids in college and a divorce last year has me doing a toy now but not an old car tho.

Spin Doctor
05-05-2015, 09:04 PM
There is no such thing as "Too much motor"... Pfffft. :P

If you can't put the power to the pavement because you are constanty smoking the tires the yes, you do have too much motor. The rear end in a Z was built to handle the output of a smallish inline six. Can it really handle the hp and more imortantly the torque. You can also have too much tire. A friend had a Miata. Thought itwould be a great idea to put wider tires and wheels on it. Handled fantastic until it got wet. Hen scared the living urine out of him as it got squirrely really fast. Too much tire on the road and not enough vehicle. Now it may of been the tire choice to some degree. He put he factory tires back on. IIRC and I may be wrong Mazda strongly warned against going to a wider tire for that specific reason.

vpt
05-05-2015, 09:38 PM
If you can't put the power to the pavement because you are constanty smoking the tires the yes, you do have too much motor. The rear end in a Z was built to handle the output of a smallish inline six. Can it really handle the hp and more imortantly the torque. You can also have too much tire. A friend had a Miata. Thought itwould be a great idea to put wider tires and wheels on it. Handled fantastic until it got wet. Hen scared the living urine out of him as it got squirrely really fast. Too much tire on the road and not enough vehicle. Now it may of been the tire choice to some degree. He put he factory tires back on. IIRC and I may be wrong Mazda strongly warned against going to a wider tire for that specific reason.

Any power can be put to the ground in any size car, just depends how much tire you put under the rear and how the suspension is set up. Hell, single rear tire motorcycles can get 800hp to stick to the ground.

flylo
05-05-2015, 10:02 PM
If you need a lift I have one that raises it 36" I think. Elect/Hyd

cuemaker
05-05-2015, 10:29 PM
If you need a lift I have one that raises it 36" I think. Elect/Hyd

Buddy ole pall, best friend!!!

Did you say you have a lift I could borrow?????

flylo
05-05-2015, 11:13 PM
I can't sell on here & I have a very nice elect/hyd lift for my 4 wheeler that goes 6' so I don't need it & you know I walk funny so it I un buried it probably be a trip hazard. Call me. Can't pass up a friend that needs a lift, right?

itsme_bernie
05-05-2015, 11:31 PM
Awesome! You are Bringjng back memories!

Bernie