PDA

View Full Version : poor speller- Aspell cx?

steve herman
05-10-2015, 02:57 PM
When I post, down loading photos is not a problem, but spelling is. is there a spell cx I can use when posting?

skunkworks
05-10-2015, 03:09 PM
Chrome or Firefox web browser has spell check built in...

Sam

skunkworks
05-10-2015, 03:55 PM
^ but sadly no grammar... ;)

jcon
05-10-2015, 04:00 PM
Steve, I have a problem spelling also so I type my post in Word, then copy and paste. Yes I just edit my post
Jim

andywander
05-10-2015, 05:29 PM
Sorry, but I think it's funny that the thread title is misspelled...or did you do that on purpose?

boslab
05-10-2015, 07:08 PM
My spell checker is possessed with evil spirits, it changes random words into other random words, somtimes funny, but defining telly (definitely) unrelated I think it may need psychiatric help or exercising (exorcism)
Markus

GEP
05-10-2015, 07:31 PM
I dont use a spell checker, dont like the junk that down loads with it . My opinion spell like you can we are not here for a spelling contest.

Paul Alciatore
05-10-2015, 08:13 PM
Yes, the browsers should have a spell checker built in. I am using Firefox and it does. IE also has one. I often wonder if any of them are shared with other programs.

The one that Firefox uses is not the best. It often does not have the words I want to use, especially on this and similar boards so I am constantly checking the proper spelling with an on-line dictionary and adding it to the spell checker here. I just did that on my previous post.

But remember, this is a machining board, not a spelling and grammar board. Many of us make mistakes but as long as the meaning is clear, that makes little difference.

tryfred
05-10-2015, 09:05 PM
Most people go through life spelling words only one way...it is up to some of us with creative minds to offer alternatives...if others don't see the genius in that, there is little else we can do for them....

Joe

ulav8r
05-10-2015, 11:17 PM
But remember, this is a machining board, not a spelling and grammar board. Many of us make mistakes but as long as the meaning is clear, that makes little difference.

But sometimes the spelling is so bad that the meaning in not clear.

steve herman
05-11-2015, 01:58 AM
Steve, I have a problem spelling also so I type my post in Word, then copy and paste.
Jim

After you paste it are you still able to edit it ?

TBN
05-11-2015, 09:05 AM
I can't spell for crap either! What is it about machinists and spelling? I started working in job shops when I was 16 and very few machinists I've worked with over the years can spell. I guess you can only be good at so many things at a time:)

jcon
05-11-2015, 11:16 AM
Yes there is a place to click at the bottom of the post

jcon
05-11-2015, 12:07 PM
After you paste it are you still able to edit it ?

A better answer to your guestion wood be that after you paste it works just like you had typed, until send it. Then you can even edit even edit after you post it. Ijust edit my original post to see if I could.

GEP
05-11-2015, 04:51 PM
I can't spell for crap either! What is it about machinists and spelling? I started working in job shops when I was 16 and very few machinists I've worked with over the years can spell. I guess you can only be good at so many things at a time:)

There are people that are some what good in spelling but machinists they are not . I happend to know one in perticular

DR
05-11-2015, 10:17 PM

I get machinist resume's and flyers from local vendors. If I find spelling or grammatical errors they go into the garbage.

My reasoning is, if the can't get their act together to do it right when they're trying their best to impress me, what's it going to be like if I hire them?

TBN
05-12-2015, 07:12 AM
I get machinist resume's and flyers from local vendors. If I find spelling or grammatical errors they go into the garbage.

My reasoning is, if the can't get their act together to do it right when they're trying their best to impress me, what's it going to be like if I hire them?

I don't blame you DR. I wouldn't hire a person that's not willing to at least check the spelling on their own resume either. It's not that hard to open a dictionary if necessary.

mklotz
05-12-2015, 11:42 AM

Yes, that's what these spelling apologists don't understand. People will judge them by their writing whether they like it or not. The people making the judgements will seldom provide feedback about how they arrived at their decision, so the guy who thinks "it doesn't matter how I write so long as they understand what I mean" never becomes aware of what his casualness costs him.

Arcane
05-12-2015, 06:38 PM

Shouldn't it be "machinists' resumes"?

Mike Nash
05-12-2015, 08:15 PM
Shouldn't it be "machinists' resumes"?

Yes, but as has been stated so "elephantly" by so many - this is just a forum and no one here is worthy of the time or effort, so just figure it out for yourself.

While we are at it - résumé. Why in the world do we get stuck with accent marks? I use a txt file reader on my phone and it throws away any accented letters in the books I download. "Is he really that nave, or he just acting?"

Arcane
05-12-2015, 08:39 PM
Yes, but as has been stated so "elephantly" by so many - this is just a forum and no one here is worthy of the time or effort, so just figure it out for yourself.

While we are at it - résumé. Why in the world do we get stuck with accent marks? I use a txt file reader on my phone and it throws away any accented letters in the books I download. "Is he really that nave, or he just acting?"

Figure it out for myself? lol Apparently the reason for my post has eluded you.

Mike Nash
05-12-2015, 09:59 PM
Nah, I got it. ;)