O/T thank god for no accident avoidance crap on this vehicle...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • A.K. Boomer
    • May 2006

O/T thank god for no accident avoidance crap on this vehicle...

Good piece of driving - don't think this guy could have made up one split second anywhere...

• justanengineer
    • Nov 2010

Thankfully I'm in the US where such driving would land the driver in jail, and/or with a bloody nose....
    "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

• A.K. Boomer
      • May 2006

I have to admit was wondering why they cut the vid short when they got to the pedestrians

Comment

• loose nut
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by justanengineer View Post
        Thankfully I'm in the US where such driving would land the driver in jail, and/or with a bloody nose....
        If you, or someone close, has had a heart attack or have been in a serious accident and every minute counts you will change your view on that real quick.
        The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

• A.K. Boomer
          • May 2006

Loose I tend to agree - if you really look at the Vid it's not all that dangerous as 95% of it would just be a little metal bending if he was off some whilst "threading the needle" ------ so be it if there's a life hanging by a thread,,,
          in fact I bet that's why it stopped when they got to the pedestrians - bet he really had to cool it and would have looked "boring" in comparison...

Comment

• Black Forest
            • Jan 2010

I don't see what makes the person's life in the Ambulance more valuable than the people in the cars or the pedestrians. Taking the risk of killing someone else to save someone is pushing my sense of OK. Great driver for sure but one slight miscalculation of what the other drivers are going to do and someone could easily die. Nope not OK in my book.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

• A.K. Boomer
              • May 2006

If there dying and time is of the essence then within reason It's always more valuable in every situation, that's what we do --- access the risks and then go for it - all ambulance drivers are at far higher risk in putting someone else at risk - just a given with running reds and all the other stuff they have to do - so in that respect were always taking a chance and putting the person who is dying's life ahead of others...
              this example is just taking it to a whole new level --- the only real question is at what point do you make the call ---- one in a hundred thousand VS one in a thousand ? ---------- and if your answer is "there should never be any doubt" then your living in a fantasy world, there's doubt just in driving period...

The guys good - one cannot argue against that - and if he's been pulling stunts like this for something like 30 years without incident then one would be hard pressed to argue against a track record like that would they not?

Comment

• winchman
                • Aug 2003

I'm with Black Forest on this one. The life of the person in the ambulance isn't worth more than the lives of all those people endangered on the wild ride to the hospital. I doubt the attendants in the back were able to do much for the patient under those conditions, either.

Maybe the reason they cut the video short was to avoid showing the pizza place they were really headed for.
                Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

• loose nut
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                  Nope not OK in my book.
                  People should know enough to get out of the way in the first place, it's a basic law almost anywhere on the planet (for police, ambulance or FD some countries get down right nasty if you don't) and if they won't then to bad for them.

Like I said, wait until it's somebody in your family that's needs to get to a hospital quick.
                  The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

• A.K. Boomer
                    • May 2006

WM, Personally I would not say it's worth more, but I would also not say that it's worth any less either...

On great occasion someone could get killed but what's the price for living in a society?

do we baby step it to make sure nobody ever gets killed? and lose thousands going for the "ride"?

what's your number? what's your magic cut off point?

Comment

• Paul Alciatore
                      • May 2002

If I am the injured or sick person, I would appreciate just a bit more caution so I actually get to the hospital.

I was half expecting the trip to end at a McDonald's for the driver's lunch.
                      Paul A.
                      s
                      Golden Triangle, SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                      You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

• PStechPaul
                        • Oct 2013

I didn't see anything too crazy or dangerous in the video. The driver was good, for sure, and he took some chances, but I have seen much riskier driving on the Beltway. The ambulance driver didn't necessarily risk the lives of others in the cars he narrowly missed - an accident would likely be just a fender bender.
                        http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                        Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                        USA Maryland 21030

Comment

• Fasttrack
                          • Jul 2005

I don't see what the big deal is... mute the video and it could have been me in rush hour traffic...

Comment

• CarlByrns
                            • Oct 2013

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
                            If you, or someone close, has had a heart attack or have been in a serious accident and every minute counts you will change your view on that real quick.
                            Well, I've had a heart attack and am grateful I got an ambulance with two terrific paramedics and a very smooth, professional driver instead of the nutjob in the video. That ride, no kidding, would have killed me.

The paramedics and the driver did the most important things: they calmed me down, got the IV's started, and were in constant communication with the ER (just like on TV, they met me at the door).

Getting the patient to the ER quickly is important. Getting the patient to the ER without inducing panic is more important.

Comment

• A.K. Boomer
                              • May 2006

Hmmm - now were assuming why the guy/gal was going for the ride...

I bet the driver knew... just sayin - if it was blunt force trauma and he/she was internally bleeding out then could possibly change the verdict no?

Comment

Working...
                              X