View Full Version : Enclosure for Panel Mounted Motor Control Switch

05-27-2015, 06:00 PM
I want to mount a 30A 600V 2P manual motor control/disconnect
switch on a shop-built panel (18ga CR), alongside gauges and
other non-electrical controls. Dry indoor use.

Is there an enclosure intended for this purpose; one that
attaches to the back of the panel, permits the switch knob to
protrude to the face of the panel, houses the switch, isolates
connections and supports the cables? Or do I need to make my
own enclosure/adapt something?

Presently, the motor is controlled by a suitable toggle switch
in a square outlet/receptacle box attached to the framework of
the machine.

I have seen rotary switches that are intended to mount in an
electrical enclosure, either to a bus on the back of the enclosure
or on the door of the enclosure - neither approach is a direct fit
for my intended application. If a door-mount style switch was
used on my panel with something to act an enclosure for the
switch at the back of the panel, this would seem to meet the


05-27-2015, 08:03 PM
Try AutomationDirect.com In that amperage range you can get a door mounted switch, or a panel mounted swithc with remote shaft connected operator on the door. If you want the door on the back use a door mounted switch through the back of an enclosure and face the door towards the back.

05-27-2015, 10:04 PM
A rotary disconnect switch, they usually come in 3 ph, but just use two sides.
ebay 151497997656.

Paul Alciatore
05-28-2015, 12:20 PM
Not many answers here.

Generally speaking, a control panel is mounted in some kind of box or enclosure or an enclosed rack. That outer housing is normally the point of protection for the user and it is assumed that only qualified personnel will open it and muck around inside. Both electric and electronic suppliers will have a vast range of enclosures and boxes that can be used for this purpose. Look for one that is properly specified and rated for this use.






Many, many more.

That being said, there are times when individual protection is needed around single or groups of components. I have seen almost everything from thin sheets of plastic or cardboard up to cast metal boxes with tight fitting covers. Some even have RFI protection. These can be purchased or fabricated. Again, look to electric and electronic suppliers. Again, look for one that is properly specified and rated for this use.

Or, of course, you can fabricate any of the above. If you fabricate from metal, be sure it is properly connected, with a heavy gauge connection or the equivalent, to ground. In this case, that ground connection should be capable of conducting around 1.5 times 30 Amps or 45 to 50 Amps.

05-29-2015, 01:27 AM
Thanks to each of you for taking the time to post replies.

Here is a plywood mock-up of the shop-built panel
displaying some of the gauges, non-electrical controls
(regulator and ball valve at present) and hose quick


Here is a diagram representing options for mounting (http://ep-us.mersen.com/fileadmin/catalog/Literature/Instruction-Guides/INS-M16xx3DM-M40xx3DM-Non-Fused-Instruction-Sheet.pdf)
Merson Door Mount style rotary motor disconnect
switches (ie: M403DM - 40A 600V 3P).

At this point it looks likely that an enclosure will
either be:

positioned over top of the back of the
switch like a cap and fastened to the panel,
as garyhlucas suggests, modified by the
addition of a actuator hole in the back and
attached to the panel with the switch inserted
into it such that a knob on the front of the panel
engages the switch through a hole in the panel
and back of the enclosure.