PDA

View Full Version : 30" to 36" PVC needed

flylo
06-11-2015, 09:20 AM
Anyome know where I can get a 7' or longer pc? I don't need a full length & could pribably get it YouShipped.

Lu47Dan
06-11-2015, 10:28 AM
Anyome know where I can get a 7' or longer pc? I don't need a full length & could pribably get it YouShipped.
Have you tried calling local piping contractors to see if you could get a drop from them?
Would this type (http://www.jmeagle.com/plastic-pipe/pvc-pipe/ultra%20corr%20and%20rib.html) of pipe work? A site work contractor might have a left over piece of it also.
No matter what you end up using it is going to be expensive.
The last 30" PVC I saw was being used as a container for drops off a bandsaw.
Dan.

gundog
06-11-2015, 10:28 AM
You need to be more specific I am guessing PVC sheet what thickness or PVC pipe that one is pretty simple.

wierdscience
06-11-2015, 10:32 AM
If your looking for PVC pipe that big the only mfg I know of is-

http://www.royalbuildingproducts.com/uploadedFiles/Pipe_Microsite/Content/Callouts/Large%20Diameter%20Launch%20Materials%20Jan%2030%2 02015%20-30%20and%2036%20inch%20only%20F.pdf

Best bet is to call them and see if they have a customer in your area and then contact them and see if they have any drops.Be warned though,steel pipe that size is cheaper.We bought some 24" at work and the price was eye watering.

flylo
06-11-2015, 10:38 AM
I've tryed all the local suppiers for a drop. I looked at pvc duct but it's too thin, I need schedule 80 but no one is interested is even checking for a drop that size. I was hoping to find a project locally but Michigan doesn't even have roads anymore. LOL:( no not really, pretty sad in fact.

gundog
06-11-2015, 11:08 AM
OK we are talking really large diameter PVC pipe. My wife worked for an outfit in Fresno, CA many years ago called Apache Plastic that extruded very large PVC pipe and they seemed to have some short pieces back then. I am not sure if they are still in business.

Speaker77
06-11-2015, 11:22 AM

+1 on Lu47Dan - check around locally with contractors that install sanitary sewer mains; I'm not sure that you'll find a wall thickness equal to SCH 80 (SDR 35 or SDR 26 would be more likely in sewer pipe), but it's worth checking. HDPE might be another option if you have any local contractors that do gas/wastewater main installations.

Royldean
06-11-2015, 11:29 AM
OK we are talking really large diameter PVC pipe. My wife worked for an outfit in Fresno, CA many years ago called Apache Plastic that extruded very large PVC pipe and they seemed to have some short pieces back then. I am not sure if they are still in business.

Are you sure it was Fresno? I know of an Apache plant in Lodi. It was purchased by CertainTeed. Then CertainTeed sold it to North American Pipe, which is what it is today. That plant does not do stuff that big, however North American does have plants that make stuff that big. Check out northamericanpipe.com.

Lu47Dan
06-11-2015, 11:30 AM
I've tryed all the local suppiers for a drop. I looked at pvc duct but it's too thin, I need schedule 80 but no one is interested is even checking for a drop that size. I was hoping to find a project locally but Michigan doesn't even have roads anymore. LOL:( no not really, pretty sad in fact.
flylo, what do you need it for? Schedule 80 PVC in that size would be almost cost prohibitive. A piece of steel pipe would be less.
Dan.

lakeside53
06-11-2015, 11:42 AM
I put 32 inch HDPE pipe beneath our dam, 2 inch wall thickness to line a corroded 36 inch corrugated metal pipe. Shipped out of Arizona. Cost in 2000 was $125/foot Plus shipping and we needed 140 feet. I had 8 feet around forever until I cut it lengthways with a chainsaw to act as caps for a sagging driveway drains. Very HEAVY stuff.

Royldean
06-11-2015, 11:44 AM
FYI, the pipe you want is most likely "C905". 30" C905 pipe is 32" in diameter, and 36" is 38.3" in diameter. Thicknesses available up to DR18 for 30", and DR21 for 36" (divide actual OD by DR to get wall thickness). Pipe that large will NOT be more expensive than steel (in similar sizes), but getting it cut/delivered may end of negating the cost benefit if you've got a nearby metals supplier that can get it for you. I'm not sure if anybody makes schedule pipe that large (in pvc).

gundog
06-11-2015, 11:59 AM
I am positive it was Fresno I used to take her to work and pick her up at times when we were first married and I remember seeing the big pipe. Her sister also worked there and she had some scrap pieces with end caps they used for trash cans. I am not sure how big the diameter was but it was pretty big this was in the early eighties.

Are you sure it was Fresno? I know of an Apache plant in Lodi. It was purchased by CertainTeed. Then CertainTeed sold it to North American Pipe, which is what it is today. That plant does not do stuff that big, however North American does have plants that make stuff that big. Check out northamericanpipe.com.

flylo
06-11-2015, 12:09 PM
I have steel that size. I'm building a HyperBaric Oxygen Chamber. It only holds 15psi of air so sch 40 if available would be fine. I just thought PVC would be cleaner, easier to work than steel. If I can't find a drop I'll use steel but please keep your eye open foe a pc. I can buy a Sechrist chamber but you have to have someone else to tend it & mine I want to be able to operate without help. Thanks!

flylo, what do you need it for? Schedule 80 PVC in that size would be almost cost prohibitive. A piece of steel pipe would be less.
Dan.

Royldean
06-11-2015, 12:54 PM
Whelp, I know of no PVC maker that is going to willingly sell you PVC pipe for pressurized air application, unfortunately. Even though DR18 PVC pipe is burst tested to 755psi, the industry is pretty much distanced from any compressible fluids.

Gundog - perhaps when apache went under, the plants were broken up and sold off independently. I'm unaware of who would own them now, although a google map search would probably tell you...
[edit] was it at the intersection of sequoia-kings canyon freeway and roeding drive? That looks like a cresline plant. I don't believe they extrude pipe there, but rather they buy the pipe and make fittings from it? But I guess that would be a PERFECT place to ask.

[edit 2] Hmm, just checked out the google maps of cresline, maybe they do extrude pipe there..... Looks like a tiny plant, though.

Sorry to derail the thread.... I'm in the pvc industry so this was extra interesting to me. I'll sneak away now.

tmc_31
06-11-2015, 08:39 PM
Flylo,

Dude, clean out your inbox.

Tim

flylo
06-11-2015, 08:41 PM
Spic & Span Inbox

CarlByrns
06-12-2015, 07:40 AM
I have steel that size. I'm building a HyperBaric Oxygen Chamber. It only holds 15psi of air so sch 40 if available would be fine. I just thought PVC would be cleaner, easier to work than steel. If I can't find a drop I'll use steel but please keep your eye open foe a pc. I can buy a Sechrist chamber but you have to have someone else to tend it & mine I want to be able to operate without help. Thanks!

I'm not sure that PVC is a good idea in an 100% O2 environment.

CarlByrns
06-12-2015, 07:43 AM
Hmm, just checked out the google maps of cresline, maybe they do extrude pipe there..... Looks like a tiny plant, though.

I sell cresline pipe, but not over 12". I have seen bigger bore pipe on their trucks, but not 36".

flylo
06-12-2015, 08:37 AM
I'm not sure that PVC is a good idea in an 100% O2 environment.

You can do it 2 ways, 100% oxygen flooding the chamber @ 15psi max, or 15psi air flooding the chamber & wear an O2 mask. I'll do the latter with the mask exhaing out of the chamber.

QSIMDO
06-12-2015, 09:11 AM
ADS pipe.
Stronger than dirt!
We used it on most all our jobs but PVC can be sourced from the same type of supplier.

http://www.ads-pipe.com/en/product.asp?page=Dual_Wall_Fittings

ironmonger
06-12-2015, 10:54 AM
I know this isn't on point regarding plastic, but perhaps something like a used propane storage tank might be used.

The manufactures we used in plumbing, Charlotte, Harvell, Lasco and others universally reject the use of ANY compressible fluid in plastic pipe.

PVC has nearly 5 times the expansion rate of steel, so connecting it to other materials is fraught with problems. If you have trouble finding pipe, imagine the problems finding fittings. PVC can be welded, but if thatís what you have to do you might as well used a rolled SS drum. If the wall thickness is 8 times higher using pvc versus steel, the weight will be nearly the same.

Transition fitting from pvc to metal are a pain to keep sealed given the expansion rate. If you must, I've always found it easier to seal male pvc threads into female metallic fittings. O ring flanged fittings are more reliable.

In my role as a Medical Gas instructor/installer I am aware of no allowable use of plastic in an oxygen system. We are not even allowed to used TFE tape in our field installations. If manufactures use it, it is under the control of the insurance underwriter and the NFPA. If you are the only user of the chamber, none of this applies, of course.

Personal anecdote. My brother was injured when a pvc pipe burst. It was not under pressure, but a gas explosion occurred, caused by residual solvent vapors and atmospheric oxygen... the failure mode seems to be breaking into a lot of very sharp shards. The only thing that kept him alive was a steel column that kept the major amount of debris from hitting him directly.

paul