PDA

View Full Version : May I have a small gloat ?

John Stevenson
06-17-2004, 04:37 PM
Went up to Lincoln today to have a look at a toolroom slotting machine. Made in Germany by Ravensburgh.

http://www.walker-lincoln.fsnet.co.uk/Slotters.htm

Listed as a 160mm stroke but it can be wound up to 180mm. Eight speeds and four feeds. Power feed to X, Y and rotary table.
15 degrees of tilt either side of vertical
In very nice condition, ex RAF training school.
I got the guy to stick a cable on it and it runs as sweet as a nut so I bought it.
Ignore the advertised price it was a lot , lot cheaper than that.

Rang the riggers up when I got back tonight and told them to collect it next week.
Need to find the floor yet again.

Called in at Allan Waterfall's on the way back and had a coffee, a natter and a look around his very tidy and well equipped workshop complete with turn of the century hand planing machine, facinating machine.
Thanks for spending the time Allan.

Got back home and there was a rotor waiting out of a 25 Hp motor with the end snapped off.
Just finished pressing a new shaft in, time for a shower and some tea.

John S.

motorworks
06-17-2004, 04:42 PM
First the Slotter,then the rotor job,and now TEA!!
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
e

Paul Gauthier
06-17-2004, 04:48 PM
Well it has more stroke than my shaping attachment, and with the rotab. it should be quite a useful machine. I'm jealous.

TEA, I should think that you would settle down with a pint of "Formidable Ale", can't remember the maker but have had a few on several occasions. Was brought back by a freind who spent some time in England. Probably the best Ale I have had, but they don't export it. Damn selfish of them I think.

------------------
Paul G.

motorworks
06-17-2004, 05:24 PM
I just came downstairs from sulking!!
I did not ask this at first,because I did not want to know, but now I NEED to know!!
Did the rotor job pay for the slotter?
ie Will you make enough to pay for the slotter.
My Heart is Broke
Moving to the UK
e

Forrest Addy
06-17-2004, 05:25 PM
And it's already Stevenson green. You're an undeserving man John, but better you then me.

dvideo
06-17-2004, 06:26 PM
It is not enough that he finds these great tools.... but he managed to acquire his "own" color now? Bet you got a deal on the color too.... :>

--jr

wierdscience
06-17-2004, 10:17 PM
Are there any houses for sale in your nieghborhood? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Evan
06-18-2004, 01:43 AM
Just to point out to several, "Tea" does not mean a short break for a hot beverage made from steeped plant leaves. It may be a part of the of the ceremony but usually involves more solid substances. Reminds me of when I was a child on a trip and my parents would stop somewhere for "a cup of coffee" leaving us kids in the car to choke down dried out sandwiches. It came to be known as a "thick coffee" break.

John Stevenson
06-18-2004, 03:45 AM
Yes the double meaning.
I remember when I was a small boy I was asked at a friends if I wanted to stay for tea.
I asked "Eaty tea or drinky tea ?"

Just got as phone call this morning, 8.45 am here, riggers have been in touch with the seller and aranged next Thursday as being convieniant for all parties.
They have quoted £100 UKP to collect and drop outside workshop doors with 24 ton Hiab crane truck.
Seller has put this at just under two tons but I'm dubious and think it could be a liitle more. Find out next week as they have a strain gauge on their Hiab.

No book with this so I'll have to have a look see around.

Eddy, No the rotor job didn't pay for the machine but I managed to get extra rate out of them as England were playing Switzerland at football last night in the World cup whilst i was doing this job.
I don't follow football so it didn't matter but they don't know that http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

John S.

Charles Ping
06-18-2004, 05:33 AM
John

You've now got 2 slotters - for a one man workshop that's impressive. I reckon you'll need to extend soon.

Is this to take the place of the Butler one or will you keep this one for "Sunday Best" and the Butler for rough stuff?

I also don't follow football (soccer) and found that central London was magically clear of traffic.

Charles

[This message has been edited by Charles Ping (edited 06-18-2004).]

John Stevenson
06-18-2004, 06:10 AM
Charles,
Tim Leech is having the Butler.I reckon it weights two ton and scrap is about £35.00 a ton
if I have to take it in so I've sold it him for £70.00 but he collects
Seems fair for a running machine.

John S.

motorworks
06-18-2004, 06:47 AM
Evan
"Tea" has the same double meaning here in Newfoundland.I can still remember my grandmother saying we had to be home by "tea time" (supper time).
e