PDA

View Full Version : Interesting handy tool on CL

winchman
06-28-2015, 06:23 PM
http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/tls/5096538170.html

http://images.craigslist.org/01111_j9OpKwZgcps_600x450.jpg

Looks like it would be pretty useful. Anyone seen one before?

Rosco-P
06-28-2015, 06:34 PM
I find hose clamp pliers work well almost 100% of the time. How do I turn the nut while it's grasped in the tool to get it started on the threaded stud?

boslab
06-28-2015, 06:35 PM
Never seen one of those but if he is making them he's doing a really nice job, handy
Mark

KIMFAB
06-28-2015, 06:46 PM
I used to have a unit like this when I lived in Minnesota. Picked it up at a company surplus store, 3M, Honeywell or the like.
Looked like it was a shop made tool for a special use. Looks like this guy is making and selling them.

It's one of those tools that sure is neat but in the one instance in 5 years that you could use it, you can't find it and use something else.

kf2qd
06-28-2015, 08:01 PM
Just the tool for holding that nut that is way in under where you can't possibly get your fingers and it falls out of the wrench before it starts on the thread. Don't need it at the moment, but I have had a number of times where that would have saved several tons of frustration...

Rosco-P
06-28-2015, 08:12 PM
Just the tool for holding that nut that is way in under where you can't possibly get your fingers and it falls out of the wrench before it starts on the thread. Don't need it at the moment, but I have had a number of times where that would have saved several tons of frustration...

Like you can't smear the inside of the box wrench with thick grease or plumbers putty to hold the nut in place?
But you're going to remember this gizmo that spends 99% of it's time sitting in your toolbox.
Don't think so.

alanganes
06-28-2015, 08:22 PM
I can think of a few times that would have been a handy thing to have. A bit nicer than the sticky-side-out-tape-on-a-stick trick. Looks to be nicely made.

brian Rupnow
06-28-2015, 08:33 PM
I've got a ball of Plasticine (old style silly putty) that works great for holding nut in socket until you get it started. Just a little smear on one side of the nut works great. Also works to keep socket head capscrews in place on end of hex wrench.

Dan Dubeau
06-28-2015, 10:17 PM
i've always just put tape over on side of a box end wrench. holds the nut in there just fine, and will give way when the bolt start coming through. very handy working on motorcycles.

Lu47Dan
06-29-2015, 10:22 AM
I helped a friend do the final assembly on three machines that his shop had built. He had a similar device to hold 1/2" and 3/4" nuts in place while you installed the bolts worked fine. We had around 60 hidden nuts between the three machine. Once the nuts were installed than a wrench was use to back up the nut to torque them down. He never bid on those machines again.
Dan.

LKeithR
06-29-2015, 12:31 PM
...We had around 60 hidden nuts between the three machine...

Sounds to me like there was a serious design flaw somewhere--the engineer/designer should get a good solid slap upside the head...

JohnMartin
06-29-2015, 02:22 PM
Many years ago I worked for Brookstone - back when they truly were the Hard-To-Find-Tool company.

Brookstone did a good job of finding tools that were used within a specialized industry and making them available to the general public. Back then, office machines tended to be mechanical as opposed to electronic. Those who repaired them did not just swap out circuit boards, but often had to work with screws and nuts deep inside the machine.

The tool set pictured was from that field, and I've often found it useful. Each tool has a sliding sleeve to tighten the legs on the part to be held. From the left:

1. tweezers/forceps, straight brass legs
2. tweezers/forceps, curved steel legs
3. nut holder, holds nut with hole in line with tool axis
4. nut holder, holds nut with hole perpendicular to tool axis (as tool shown by OP)
5. slotted screw holder, tips wedge into screw slot

C:\Documents and Settings\Jean Zbinden\Desktop\Dsc_0041conv.jpg

Sorry folks, apparently I cannot attach a photo

dneufell
08-21-2015, 11:16 PM
Just received mine!!!!! Well made. Very nifty tool ..... Thanks Craig (and winchman) :)

lakeside53
08-21-2015, 11:51 PM
Sorry folks, apparently I cannot attach a photo

Second sticky on the General forum (this one) http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/62262-Posting-Photos

AD5MB
08-22-2015, 12:07 PM
But you're going to remember this gizmo that spends 99% of it's time sitting in your toolbox.

I am going to remember my rarely used tool box.