PDA

View Full Version : Another Thread Chaser, by Charles McCullough

Paul Alciatore
07-01-2015, 12:31 PM
I always read the monthly, e-mail tips from Home Shop Machinist and Machinist Workshop and they are usually pretty good. But I was particularly impressed by the one I got today about a shop made, thread chaser to restore buggered up threads. It describes using a split bolt with a hole down the center to allow the threaded portion to be inserted below the bad area and then backed out. It is an idea that I will remember.

I would urge Charles McCullough or Village Press (George) to post it here for the benefit of all.

George Bulliss
07-01-2015, 12:47 PM
Here is the link to it:

Another Thread Chaser (http://email.villagepress.com/pub/HSM/20150701/20150701.html)

mickeyf
07-01-2015, 03:33 PM
I made something once that was a variation on this. It had the bottom end of the hole tapered, with the large end of the taper toward the end. The rod was conical at the far end then small enough to allow the bolt to squeeze, and threaded at the far end to draw the cone up the taper and expand the bolt. Overkill, probably, as usual.

Paul Alciatore
07-01-2015, 09:57 PM
Thanks George.

Are all these tips on line?

Edit: Never mind, I clicked the Archive link on it and found them all. Yes, they are all on line.