PDA

View Full Version : Jacobs Drill Chuck 633C

bonromer
07-02-2015, 11:24 AM
I have a Jacobs Drill Chuck, #633C that came in a box of tooling I bought at a yard sale. It doesn't fit any thing I have. It attaches with a threaded collar and a taper. Does anyone know what it is used for. It's in new condition and if possible I would like to find a use for it. Otherwise, it's just collecting dust on my workbench.

I am a new user of Home Shop Machinist Forums and would appreciate any information I can get.

Thanks

microshop dinker
07-02-2015, 12:10 PM
My first post here also--though I've lurked behind the scenes for several years---much knowledge/wisdom/fun and a little B.S. thrown in for good measure. So much more to learn (& try to remember @ age 70). Sears Craftsman drill presses (at least from the 70's and perhaps 80's) used this style chuck on their 15" and larger models to help retain the chuck on the spindle to counteract the radial loads encountered when using a router bit or end mill (by more adventuresome folks). Ask how I discovered this pearl of wisdom.

Frank Ford
07-02-2015, 01:08 PM
My older Powermatic drill press ("Model 1150 - 1200" on the nameplate) has that same 633C chuck, too. Threaded collar makes it easy to remove/replace the chuck.

DR
07-02-2015, 10:35 PM
Practically all the quality American and some foreign drill presses in the 14" and 15" range used those chucks. Even some that didn't come with the extra cost locking chuck had the threaded spindle area to accommodate the locking collar.

The chucks are 1/2" capacity which is also the drilling capacity in steel of the machines in this size range with the 2-3/4" columns.

It's difficult to explain to guys that have only been exposed to the offshore junk DP's with the Morse taper and arbor mounted chuck what this is all about. Mainly what it's about is a drill chuck that will not ever fall off the spindle in use.