PDA

View Full Version : alien abduction

darryl
07-04-2015, 04:55 PM
Hmm- not sure if I'm back or not- not sure where I've been- lost in space, perhaps- Haven't had internet for 3 months now. Computer went pop, literally. Everything went out except the hard drive, which is a blessing. Mouse, keyboard, m/board, memory- whole ball of wax went t/up. I used the time out to get over the computer and internet addiction, and it's been good. Still need to resolve the intermittent modem problem, and now I'm going to buy an external drive to store what I don't want to lose (tons of pictures, etc). I'll see if I can find some real machining content to post soon- haven't spent a lot of time in the shop, but I must have done something of some interest. Anyway, hello to all my forum pals, hope you've all been well.

A.K. Boomer
07-04-2015, 05:08 PM
Welcome back Darryl - is this you or your other brother Darryl? - I get you two mixed up...

flylo
07-04-2015, 06:14 PM
You did break the addiction.............Until Now! :cool:

quadrod
07-04-2015, 06:46 PM
Yep you went and fell of the wagon,,,,er computer

lakeside53
07-04-2015, 06:51 PM
If you'd made 164 more posts, you'd have been over 10,000.. then the addition would have been incurable. Now you're ok to 20,000!

Willy
07-04-2015, 07:25 PM
Wow good to see you back Darryl.
Funny you came back up for air when you did as about two days ago I was ready to start a "MIA Darryl" thread.
Told myself I'd give it 2 more days and bingo!

So I have to ask, was the unconnected withdrawal painful?:)

JRouche
07-04-2015, 08:05 PM
Good to hear from you again Darryl... You didnt get that alien "probe" like so many claim didja???? Hahaaaa..JR

oldtiffie
07-04-2015, 08:41 PM
Or to paraphrase Winston Churchill:

"It shall be hard, it shall be long and there shall be no withdrawal".

RichR
07-04-2015, 09:18 PM
Welcome back Darryl - is this you or your other brother Darryl? - I get you two mixed up...

And how's your brother Larry?

darryl
07-11-2015, 05:55 PM
Glad I didn't get the long pointy thing- maybe Larry or my other brother got it instead. Ha ha. I had internet for about a half hour the day I posted this thread, then haven't been able to get online since till just now. Have a different modem now, so I hope the thing is fixed- wait and see I guess. It's been a bit painful getting the computer back to where I can stand to operate it, but I'm getting there too. Next is to see if I can see the camera as a drive and be able to pick and choose files from it at will- last time I went through this I was forced to use the Canon software, which is the last thing I need- slow, clumsy, non-intuitive, and for my needs it's painfully inferior to IrfanView. What have I been up to- well not much except working for a living, but I am at the moment experimenting with Gorilla glue as a mesh filler. Lay one layer of aluminum mesh on poly sheet, moisten, drizzle on the glue, lay second mesh layer, another sheet of poly, then a flat board on top with a bit of weight on it. The end result is a two thickness layer of mesh filled with the expanded Gorilla glue. Seems to be working reasonably well. Makes a light and strong board material for suitable applications. I have taken the concept a few steps further with a project I'm working on, and I'll start a fresh thread to show what it's all about soon.

boslab
07-11-2015, 08:06 PM
The glue and Ali sound like you have need for a lightweight composite, one with a conductive core, they had you probed you and now the alien parasite is trying to return to it's home, I'm afraid your going with it, only explanation I can find, question is will the 200A supply be enough for the anti gravity thingy
Welcome back
Mark

sasquatch
07-11-2015, 08:39 PM
Welcome back Darryl!!

darryl
07-11-2015, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the welcome back- it's good to be back. I'm not sure what 200 amps would do to this composite. It's possible that it would smoke the polyurethane and then I'd become an alien I'm sure. But just a note about the project at hand using this composite- it's the third generation of my backpack concept where much of the thing is rigid. This is the third and final form. It has an insulated pocket for a 2 liter water container, a place for tent poles, a place for two one pound bottles of propane, and a surrounding basket at the base to contain cookware, the burner, etc. This is the rigid part, which has the custom harness that I developed a few years ago attached to it. You can sit on it, stand on it, and pin it to the ground with regular tent pegs if you want. The water container and propane bottle nest is the actual backbone, and it's been assembled from custom cut pieces of urethane foam board. The aluminum mesh folds neatly around this tower and is molded directly to the foam using gorilla glue. The bottom part, the basket, is a layered mesh assembly which is now one with the tower part. This all is the hardware part- the software part will be a surrounding cloth skin with pockets sewn inside to stuff all the clothing etc into. No zippers- it will just strap closed at whatever size the contents dictate. There will be an attached groundsheet, and there will be an upper rain shield section which gets deployed using the tent poles. It's basically a half tent- ground sheet, full one side and overhead cover. Something like this would not be for everyone, but it suits my needs. I can carry a tent if I want, but otherwise it will be a shelter/survival kit if I happen to be stuck overniting it somewhere unexpectedly for some reason. It will be lighter and smaller than a full size pack, and I'll be using it as my day pack.The water container is interesting as it has a full size top opening which means a large diameter lid. This makes room for an integral water filter, plus a simple pump. That's enough for now-

Toolguy
07-11-2015, 10:38 PM
Wow - sounds pretty amazing! I knew the aliens had some cool technology, but I'm surprised they were willing to share it with you!:rolleyes:

KiddZimaHater
07-12-2015, 01:17 AM
Alien abduction?
I thought this thread was about my numerous 6" scales and 9/16" wrenches vanishing. :confused:

George Seal
07-12-2015, 03:18 AM
Don't forget the 1/2 wrench that always leaves with the 9/16.
It is theoretically imposable to lose just one

boslab
07-12-2015, 03:55 AM
Would not aramid aka Kevlar work, one thing I notice is that if you wear Kevlar reinforced anti cut gloves for cold work outside your hands get very cold, I don't know about it's thermal conduction but it must be high, for a backpack that might be a good thing, if it's in contact with you I'm guessing btw, the suspension ones allow a bit of breathing so you don't get sweaty but the slung ones leave your back soaking, I often wondered why not use the frame as the water tank but cleaning might be a problem I suppose, hope it works out anyway, I've never found a comfortable pack myself.
Mark

darryl
07-13-2015, 01:31 AM
The harness design puts the pack away from my back by nearly an inch. Previous times when I carried the earlier versions that seemed to be enough, perhaps more than enough to ensure good breathing and no undue sweatiness. I'm using the same harness and spacing so I should be good. I like the kevlar idea, in fact I wondered if I shouldn't actually splurge and use it for the outer skin at least. I'll give that more thought- . As far as the water tank, the home for it is a close fit and it's easily removable, plus I can get my hand and arm into it fully so cleaning is easy. I wouldn't have considered using a backpack frame as the tank for water, but I did at one point consider using it as a white gas tank. In this case there is no frame, so the idea wouldn't apply here. I too have never found a comfortable backpack, although my current day pack is pretty good- but it does lay on my back and makes me sweat. By the way, when I was 'out there' I saw an interstellar trade ship offering a lot of 1/2 and 9/16 wrenches cheap- :)

boslab
07-13-2015, 02:23 AM
Ah the intergalactic exchange rate for 9/16 wrenches went up again due to this evil metric, the dark side to you across the pond.
Mark