X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • biglouie
    • Jul 2015

Yet another Atlas lathe question

I am just getting started with machine tools. I have lots of experience welding but not much work on anything other than a drill press. But at 62, there is no time like now. I found this 1975 Atlas 12 x 36 lathe on Craigslist. It comes with a three and four jaw chuck and some tooling. Very clean and one owner. I am primarily going to be making parts for an old Corvette that I am customizing. Currently asking $2750 but I am unsure of a reasonable price. I would rather pay more and get the right lathe if this Atlas is not appropriate. I do have a local retired machinist that is going to teach me the basics, but he didn't have an opinion as to what it is worth. Any feedback about the suitability of this lathe or price is appreciated! Thanks for your time and consideration.

Last edited by biglouie; 07-13-2015, 12:20 PM.
  • Toolguy
    • Jan 2010

My short answer with the information given would be you would probably be ahead of the game to just get a Grizzly, Enco, Precision Matthews or other brand new Chinese import for the same money or a little more. I would do some shopping first on this deal.
    Kansas City area

Comment

• J Tiers
      • Jan 2004

Much as I dislike giving money to the chinese, you can get, for that $$, a LOT heavier machine from them.

The atlas is usable, but is a very lightweight, flexible, bouncy machine. A hobby machine, and not suited to heavier work. Just look at the slim and slender bed of that Atlas, and then look at some of the chinese units. A thick heavy bed is good.
      CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
      Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
      Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
      I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
      Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• Bill Pace
        • Jul 2005

Thats a nice looking lathe, ---but, its way overpriced. As mentioned, that kind of money is getting into some of the nicer Chinese machines which would be much, much better...

Now if that was a South Bend in their heavy 10 in about that year range and that clean --- well, then it might be a better price!
        Last edited by Bill Pace; 07-13-2015, 02:35 PM.
        If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

• Stu
          • Jul 2007

I bought the same lathe recently (mine is the table version with the motor behind). As the others have said it is not as rigid as many other in that size (on an interrupted cut you can visually see the compound jumping). That said if you keep your cuts on the light side you should be satisfied with it. Price wise $2750 seem high to me, I paid $700 for mine (in NE Pa) which had 40 years of grime, but it was complete with no broken parts and little wear. i am very happy with it, but if I had $2700 - $3000 to play with I would have bought a new Import.

Stu

Comment

• Daminer
            • Aug 2004

Bought the same lathe several years ago for $600. Was not nearly clean-looking as this unit, but everything worked, came with 3 jaw, 4 jaw & steady rest.

Essentially it's a light duty machine & the spindle thru-hole is fairly small, spprox. 3/4".

My PERSONAL opinion, WAG, eyeball & thumbnail guess of worth is less than half of the asking price. As others said, you can get a lot more machine for that amount of money
            Last edited by Daminer; 07-13-2015, 02:54 PM. Reason: Added info.

Comment

• flylo
              • Apr 2011

I just bought the exact lathe fully tooled in mint/maybe unused shape for $1000 which was a deal. I'd buy it over chines as this is the best Atlas they made with the under moter, dual drive belts, 1/2" bed, 3/4" lead screw, etc. I think $1500 would be tops of it has the follow & steady rest. Atlas is still in business & like buying a john deere you'll always have parts available. People dis the zymak gears but who has ever broke one? Most chinese lathes you have to fix/improve/adjust/tinker with before you use it & after 60 or 70 years you have to replace a zymak part on an Atlas. Try to find the chinese mfg in 70 years. I'd buy this one if you can get the price right. If your close to me send a PM as your welcome to come over & try it. I read in 1970 these sold for $1600 which was alot IMHO. On a side note I just sold a 1934 10" Atlas & she was still going strong.

Comment

• gvasale
                • Mar 2002

Sheeit... I paid $2000 for my SB Turn Nado. But I did need a new 3 jaw chuck and had to have it delivered for another $800. A few other repairs too.
                gvasale

Comment

• Tony Ennis
                  • Oct 2009

I have an old ragged-out Atlas. I resurrected it. I like using it. But is it not a production lathe at all. Unless the lathe you pictured comes with a TON of tooling, it is overpriced by a factor of 3. It's clean as a whistle, to be sure.

I'd be investigating a far more capable lathe from Grizzley or Precision Mathews.

The stats looks good, I have not used one. http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM-1127-VF.html

Comment

• john hobdeclipe
                    • Jun 2005

A. If it is so clean and little used, why was it repainted?

B. Take the dam key out of the headstock chuck before somebody gets hurt!!! Or at least crop that out of the picture.

Comment

• Doozer
                      • Jan 2005

Dude, I had an Atlas 10".
                      It was krapy.
                      I learn a lot, and something I learned
                      is that even a SouthBend is TWICE as good
                      as an Atlas. Yes I loved the Atlas, but just
                      being honest. Let someone else get frustrated
                      with chatter and unwanted taper.

-Doozer
                      DZER

Comment

• ulav8r
                        • Oct 2002

It would compare to a Campbell Hausfield welder, looks like the real thing but doesn't compare to a Lincoln, Miller, etc.
                        North Central Arkansas

Comment

• gzig5
                          • May 2005

I've been using a clapped out Craftsman (Atlas) 12x36 for about ten years. The ways are worn, 3/4 turn of backlash in the cross and compound, yet I'm still able to make very accurate parts. These are good lathes for a home shop, never intended for production. That looks like a nice one and if everything is perfect with tooling mentioned, I think it would be worth $1200. Any wear on the ways or other parts brings it to $600- $1000 depending on how bad.

I recently sold a 98% SB 9C lathe with tooling and collet closer for $1200. The ways were barely scuffed. Maybe I let it go too cheap but the 9" is a better lathe than the Atlas in equal condition.

Comment

• JCHannum
                            • Nov 2001

That lathe is the later Atlas 12" machine, the improved version of the 10" Atlas and 12" Craftsman lathes. It has a heavier bed and other upgrades and is a much better machine than the earlier lathes.

They are decent HSM lathes, but that one is overpriced by at least $1000. The rather shoddy repaint also raises questions and a pass is the best advice.
                            Jim H.

Comment

• Charles Spencer
                              • Jun 2013

Originally posted by biglouie View Post
                              I do have a local retired machinist that is going to teach me the basics, but he didn't have an opinion as to what it is worth. Any feedback about the suitability of this lathe or price is appreciated! Thanks for your time and consideration.
                              Listen to that retired guy. He's smart enough to stick to what he knows.

Lathe prices seem to vary widely by where you are. Since I don't know where you are I wouldn't venture an opinion on local prices. That said, I'm pretty sure that wouldn't bring $2,750 on Craigslist around here.

Charles

Comment

Working...
                              X