PDA

View Full Version : OT: computer popups just started

DS_park
07-14-2015, 08:23 AM
I think my computer has been infiltrated with some sort of spy ware. My wife had the computer for a few days while visiting her family and it started then.

New tab popup windows appear with almost every link selected. Trend Micro Titanium Internet security is always up to date. Full system scans show nothing. Browsers are up to date. I cannot find where any programs were installed in the last week.

Any advise appreciated. This is driving us both up the wall.

DS

Lykle
07-14-2015, 08:33 AM
It sounds like a script has been installed on your browser. It usually infects all the browsers that are installed, but you can try installing a different browser just to see what happens.
These things are a bitch to remove, as a lot of them will not simply uninstall.
Have a look at the installed programs, try and sort then by installed date. See if you know all the programs that are installed.
If you can't find anything that was installed the last couple of days, it might be hidden. You will then have to look through all the running processes on your pc and try to understand what each is for. Google those you do not know or understand. You should get somewhere.

Do you also have a new action bar in your browser? Is the search engine still the same? Those things are usually changed as well.

Left Handed Spud Wrench
07-14-2015, 09:04 AM
Try downloading Spybot S&D free version. It gets rid of some nasties that anti-virus doesn't recognize.

chucketn
07-14-2015, 09:41 AM
MalwareBytes is another good one. HyJackThis allows you to capture a scan that a computer literate person can use to troubleshoot with. CCleaner will provide a user friendly way to check your starup programs, scan your registry for errors, and see browser add-ons as well as clean temp internet files. All these are freeware.

Chuck

Left Handed Spud Wrench
07-14-2015, 09:45 AM
Be careful with HyJackThis. I nuked my laptop by accident with it. Hooray for backups.

chucketn
07-14-2015, 10:04 AM
I think my computer has been infiltrated with some sort of spy ware.
DS

DS, I'm a retired computer tech. I don't often offer to help people I don't know, but if you want me to help, PM me with your e-mail address, and I'll send you mine. You can run the Hijackthis and e-mail me the report it generates. I'll look at it and advise...

Chuck

KIMFAB
07-14-2015, 10:43 AM
You can also restore to a previous time with the restore feature. If this is done right away after noticing the problem it will often fix it.

chipmaker4130
07-14-2015, 12:49 PM
After trying almost all of the above, I finally got rid of something similar using HitmanPro. It was free, and very quickly took care of the problem. Might work for you.

DS_park
07-14-2015, 01:52 PM
chucketn- PM sent

UPDATE, now the other computer has it. Other than a wireless router for internet access the computers are not networked. No jump drives switched between them for over a week. All I did was turn on the older computer- verify browser currency- antivirus updates- updated adobe flash- and then surfed over to this (Home Shop Machinist Forum) web site. Bam, pop ups for security etc with every click of a link on this site. Going to back up files on the first computer before trying anything.

bobw53
07-14-2015, 04:24 PM
I've gotten a few of those horrible infections before... my better half *USED* to download every tool bar under the sun and could really mess up a computer....

Anyways, after googling around, I found one site to be particularly helpful. Malwaretips.com.

Sit there with a good computer and the sick one... Googling.. Every program installed and every process running using the
"program/process site:www.malwaretips.com". The google search worked far better than the search on the site.

They will tell you if its something that should be there, and if it shouldn't, they babystepped you
through how to remove it using all free programs... Some of it took a while, but the stuff they said to
do always worked.

SteveF
07-14-2015, 04:52 PM
I've had good luck with the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool. It doesn't install on your computer, just runs as a executable program. It has found things that were missed by my anti-virus program.

Also try a System Restore (assuming you are using an MS Windows operating system).

Steve

DS_park
07-15-2015, 06:49 PM
Popups stopped when I removed (uninstalled) ADOBE Flash / Shockwave. Corresponds with some news I've been seeing about Flash vulnerability.

Ran the old xp unit through a ms disc clean up, removed adobe flash, reset firefox, ran a full fresh virus scan (trendmicro), and ran a second malwarebytes scan (malware found a few things).

This evening all I did to the win 7 machine was remove adobe Flash and popups gone. Will still run the 7 machine through the second round of scans like the first.

Funny I also noticed microsoft updates for both the xp and 7 machines were released today..... Just that update did not totally fix the 7 machine though they slowed down a bit.

Glad that's done. DS

J Tiers
07-15-2015, 09:28 PM
I have found that ditching the MS firewall, and using a good one (I use Zonealarm) keeps most of that stuff from ever happening.

I USED TO recommend Spybot search and destroy, but the newer version of it appears to do nothing whatever. I still have the older version, and it was updating OK, but the newer version seems to be non-functional. My advice is not to bother with it, something bad happened to it.

It's usually good to run several different programs in cases of problems. What one misses another catches, and vice-versa. Malwarebytes, and Super anti-spyware seem to complement each other, for instance.

IdahoJim
07-18-2015, 12:57 AM
I had popups suddenly show up with Firefox. Found out it is "add ons", or "extensions" that are added by downloading some software. To get rid of it you just go into TOOLS, then OPTIONS, and look at your add-ons, and extensions. Get rid of the ones you don't want, or use.
Jim