PDA

View Full Version : Renting/Leasing a small industrial work space???

Low-alloy
07-18-2015, 07:14 PM
This question has probably come up before, but after a search didn't come up with anything I thought I'd ask.

I am in the speculation phase of looking to relocate. Either renting a place with an outbuilding or two car garage or staying put and leasing a work space/industrial building. Never having done the latter, can anyone clue me in on the cost per square foot for a small industrial space in the Everett -- Bellingham Washington area?

Thanks

Rosco-P
07-19-2015, 08:54 AM
A question for a Realtor in the commercial/industrial market?

Chris165
07-19-2015, 01:20 PM
I can't help you with cost but here are some other things to consider,

-Main power supply, Check to see if the building has either 230v or 480v 3ph power going to it. If your machines are small enough to run off a phase converter this might not be an issue but having the power company drop 3ph is going to be serious $.

-Building construction, Machine shops can be in almost any (waterproof) building. If you plan on doing welding make sure you don't burn down a wood frame structure. I have 3 sides of concrete block and 1 side of fire resistant drywall but am still going to put up welding screens to contain sparks and grinding.

Check out my thread on shop layout tips because other members poothersome very valuable information to assist in setting up shop.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Big Rack
07-19-2015, 03:28 PM
Look in the local Craigslist lots of places for rent it may give you an idea of cost.

Ries
07-19-2015, 10:07 PM
depends a lot on location, and size. most commercial space north of Everett is between .75 and a buck a foot, south of Everett its more. On Craigslist, right now, there are several places in Mt Vernon in that range- but they are a couple thousand square feet or bigger.
Small space is always harder to find, and more expensive.
its usually really hard to find a spot less than a thousand square feet- they go very fast, everybody wants em.
there is a sweet building on Memorial Highway in Mt Vernon right now, at 1200, thats freestanding, wont last long at that price.
https://skagit.craigslist.org/off/5071460220.html
Bellingham is hard to find stuff as well- you gotta be on Craigslist every day, and be ready to jump.

Low-alloy
07-20-2015, 02:01 AM
Thanks guys! For some reason Craigslist totally slipped my mind. That'll be a good way to see what the market is like over the coming months.

Ries, I was out and about on a long walk and came to a park named Wiggums Hallow. I saw a few public art pieces at a distance and said to myself I bet they are Ries's work. Sure enough they were. Good job. The panels have been there for a good while but they still look in good shape.

Cheers!

camdigger
07-20-2015, 02:46 AM
'Course, you know about insurance, etc.

And restrictions on modifications to the space. A company I worked for some time ago, rented a commercial bay and spent big dough renovating it including a large shop with welding and paint booth. They got all the interior work done without issues. The crunch came when they wanted to add ventilation. Seems the lease specifically prohibited piercing the exterior of the space in any way - poof, a new welding booth vented to just under the ceiling, where the smoke detectors and sprinkler sensors were.......

Left Handed Spud Wrench
07-20-2015, 08:18 AM
A friend and I rented some industrial space back in NY years ago. Learned a couple of things:

1) If it has a floor-drain steer clear. If somehow you get "audited" by OSHA or the EPA for whatever batfeather reason you can be held liable for whatever the previous occupant(s) poured down there.

2) Make goddarn sure there are no previously "undisclosed" underground tanks on the property -- even if you rent. Again you can be held accountable even if they were there long before you were.

3) Make every effort possible to tour the prospective property on a rainy day. Building was "perfect" in perfect weather -- come a brisk April shower we had to scramble to cover everything because the roof... sucked.

4) Clean the place up and make every effort to make it look occupied! This cuts down on the number of "urban explorers" breaking in for a peak, and the number of vandals/thieves/transients attracted to the building.

5) Finally make darn sure the bathroom works. Having to walk a block and a half to the nearest restroom because the sewer-line is capped (and no one disclosed that) made for a rather annoying situation.