PDA

View Full Version : OT-67 Mustang problem

Stepside
07-19-2015, 08:34 PM
My sister has a one owner 67 Ford Mustang, she is the one owner. The car and my sister are on the opposite side of Washington state from me. Anyway, when she tries to fill the gas tank, gas comes out the fill spout. She had half a tank and tried to fill it and could only get a gallon in before it ran out the fill spout. Is there a vent tube in cars of that vintage? The car has almost 80,000 miles on the odometer.

Any and all advice will be appreciated.

Pete

sasquatch
07-19-2015, 09:03 PM
Has to be a vent problem, No?

im#2
07-19-2015, 09:11 PM
I have a restored 86 ranger that does this and it always has, I have to pull the nozzle out till it quits spitting and fill real slow and yep probably vent but what ya going to do to fix?

CarlByrns
07-19-2015, 09:27 PM
Seems to be a common problem: http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/gas-tank-filling-are-all-years-difficult.804976/

quadrod
07-19-2015, 10:11 PM
Is this a new problem with her mustang?

Stepside
07-19-2015, 10:59 PM
Quadrod

It is the first time she has mentioned it to me. She will be 75 in December and might be having a "senior moment". The other replys seem to point to a common problem with this vintage of Mustang.

bob308
07-19-2015, 11:06 PM
some stations have the pressure set so high o some of the older cars you can not get gas in them. my 83 chevy truck is like that a some stations. it is real bad with the Harley.

Guido
07-20-2015, 12:15 AM
What if'n the fuel gage is faulty, showing something less than full, when the tank is actually, truly FULL?

oldtiffie
07-20-2015, 12:22 AM
I have that problem with one of the bowsers at the only service station that I use - only one of about 5 bowsers..

Its OK at the other bowsers - so all I have to do is to remember to use one of the "OK" bowsers.

My car is a Mazda 3 about 15 months old.

Puckdropper
07-20-2015, 02:13 AM
I'd advise you to take it to a mechanic. Since you're on the opposite side of the state, a trip over there will probably eat up close to what a mechanic would charge to fix it.

Willy
07-20-2015, 03:32 AM
Has to be a vent problem, No?

Yes very definitely a vent problem. 10 gallons of gasoline goes in...10 gallons of air has to vent out.
Without the ability to vent you end up with a positive pressure. Something has happened to the venting, Kinked hose, wasps or spiders in the vent hose?
Even in 67 engineers knew that a tank needed to be vented in order to fill it. One can't pour fuel down the same hose and expect air to come out while doing so. It needs a vent. Check the vent hose system from the tank. It usually parallels the fill tube externally.

I've encountered this very scenario many times while trying to fill underground tanks. An air vent restriction is going to blow back into your face.

stanger53
07-20-2015, 07:10 AM
There is no separate vent on the 1965-1968 Mustang gas tanks, which are all the same. The gas cap is vented.

Likely the shrouding around the nozzle that helps seal the nozzle to the opening of the filler is not letting the tank vent while filling and keeps kicking off the pump. Maybe backing the nozzle out of the filler a couple of inches will solve this, but be careful of splash -- she may have to fill more slowly.

There is a rubber hose connecting the filler pipe to the gas tank on these models. Sometimes the old filler hoses will break down and may be partially blocking the gas flow into the tank. Some hoses are a wound-wrapped style and may start to "unravel" after many years.

I sold parts for these cars for many years, and this really was not a very common problem.

George Seal
07-20-2015, 07:24 AM
When did the charcoal breather under the hood come in??????

never mind I was thinking about my old 76 truck

JCHannum
07-20-2015, 08:30 AM
The question of whether it is a new problem is appropriate. Those cars did not have vent hoses, but vented gas caps. I had a 62 Impala and the vent misfunctioned causing the tank to collapse on a long trip. I could only get a couple of gallons in after that.

Easy enough to see on the Mustang, just take a peek underneath. The Impala was a wagon and the tank was tucked up on the side.

ironmonger
07-20-2015, 09:52 AM
As has been mentioned, there is no separate vent from the tank. If you open the trunk you can see the fill spout plumbing.

She might try finding a pump that allows the rear of the cat to be slightly higher than the front when parked for filling. I have a 66 and a 70 mustang, and have not really noticed a great problem filling the tank, but I do look for sown slope when filling. More to do with 'topping off the tank to cram the last pint in there... There is noting in the mustang filler neck to reduce the flow of air/vapor form the tank... there was no need to have selective filler nozzles on the pumps as there was no 'lead free' gas when these were manufactured.

paul

Willy
07-20-2015, 10:09 AM
Quadrod

It is the first time she has mentioned it to me. She will be 75 in December and might be having a "senior moment". The other replys seem to point to a common problem with this vintage of Mustang.

I believe perhaps you may be correct, due to the short distance between the gas cap and tank the fill pipe going into the tank no separate filler neck vent tube was used in these models.
Thinking back many years here but working as a gas pump jockey as a kid I remember now that those cars often times needed to be filled while holding the nozzle at an angle so that the gas would flow to one side of the fill pipe while the displaced air in the tank would flow on the opposite side of the pipe. Maybe she is not holding the nozzle correctly? If the nozzle is just hanging from the fill pipe it tends to block the egress of air being displaced from the tank. Holding the nozzle so that the fuel runs along the inside radius of the fill pipe will assist in the the fill process. Sometimes slowing down the rate will help as well.

[QUOTE=Willy;993460]Even in 67 engineers knew that a tank needed to be vented in order to fill it. One can't pour fuel down the same hose and expect air to come out while doing so. It needs a vent. Check the vent hose system from the tank. It usually parallels the fill tube externally.

QUOTE]

I was wrong. Yes no separate filler neck vent hose. Because of the short fill pipe they probably figured that it was not required. They saved a buck doing so and created an idiosyncrasy.
The vented gas caps merely allow air to enter the tank replacing the fuel which the engine has consumed.
Most cars due to the length and location of the fill pipe to the tank will have a small air vent hose to allow air in the tank a seperate escape route so as not to impeed the fill process.

There is no separate vent on the 1965-1968 Mustang gas tanks, which are all the same. The gas cap is vented.

Likely the shrouding around the nozzle that helps seal the nozzle to the opening of the filler is not letting the tank vent while filling and keeps kicking off the pump. Maybe backing the nozzle out of the filler a couple of inches will solve this, but be careful of splash -- she may have to fill more slowly.

There is a rubber hose connecting the filler pipe to the gas tank on these models. Sometimes the old filler hoses will break down and may be partially blocking the gas flow into the tank. Some hoses are a wound-wrapped style and may start to "unravel" after many years.

I sold parts for these cars for many years, and this really was not a very common problem.

Yes this is absolutely correct, in my senior moment I had forgotten all of this, but like a dope slap to the forehead it's all clear now.:)

Big Rack
07-20-2015, 12:22 PM
My vote is for venting try not to insert the gas nozzle any farther than required and don't pull the handle all the way. I have a CJ-7 with a glass body and who knows what year tank but it is a single hose with a couple of pretty severe bends if I put the nozzle very far in and pump fast it will always spit at me.When I barely put the spout in and pump slowly it fills just fine. Had plans to change to a 2 hose tank and recessed filler plate but I doubt I'll ever get around to it.

quadrod
07-20-2015, 08:30 PM
Jchannum that is where I was going with the question of is this a new problem.

ahidley
07-20-2015, 10:17 PM
Like whilly says. Put the filler nozle in and turn it. To direct the new gas a different was. Experiment

Stepside
07-20-2015, 10:22 PM
To all who gave advice, Thank You

I relayed the composite advice to my sister in Spokane, WA. So now we await the results. The car isn't driven a lot as demonstrated by the 80K on the odometer.

Thanks again
Pete

vpt
07-21-2015, 09:01 AM
My 62 comet is the same way. I have to turn and adjust the nozzle till I get a sweet spot where it will take gas at a somewhat reasonable rate.

Do you happen to have pics of the 67? I love old stangs! If she can't figure out the problem I would be happy to take it off her hands, you know, to help her out. :D

michigan doug
07-21-2015, 09:33 AM
We had an old work truck that was super fussy about how you filled it.

We finally decided it was better if the truck was on a little slope, and Roy, our boss, finally took to carrying a couple short chunks of 2 x 6 to -make- the truck slope a bit. That just became SOP, stop the truck, somebody jump out and jam the 2x6's under the driver's side tires and drive up on it. If you were lucky, the gas station would have one pump where the ground sloped the right way.

What a pain in the keister...

aribert
07-22-2015, 12:23 PM
It seems that there was a change in gas pump flow rates sometime in the '90s. I have been driving my '61 Falcon since '74 and do not recall having gas fill issues prior to the early '90s. I had my car off the road for a decade and when I started driving it again in '03, splash back was quite the issue and I had a difficult time finding gas pumps where I was able to pump slow enough that the splash back did not occur. That said, I have found that I am able to modulate the flow rate well enough on most new (installed in the last 5 years or so) gas dispensing pumps that I only very infrequently have this issue and only then because I was in too much of a rush to fill the tank.