PDA

View Full Version : Diamond tool holder

Bob Quale
06-19-2004, 04:28 PM
When using the diamond tool holder, What depth of cuts can you take compared to a regular hss cutter. IE; A 1 1/2 inch bar of alluminum at 300rpm. And the same for mild steel. I am just looking for a comparison to a regular hss cutter.

Thanks Bob

SGW
06-19-2004, 05:09 PM
My surmise is that it will be basically the same, since it *is* a hss cutter. The diamond toolholder is just a clever way of holding a hss toolbit.

Stepside
06-19-2004, 08:16 PM
I am using the diamond toolholder on a 9 inch South Bend.
1) I am getting almost double the cut I was getting with a traditional toolholder.

2) I am getting a much better grind on the toolbit because of the ease of sharpening with the sharpening block. Also stepped up to a diamond hone to dress the bit.

3) I built a robust toolholder block dedicated to to this toolholder. I also made a gauge to ensure the 12 degree setting angle.

So is it the toolholder,the sharpening, the toolholder block, the gauge for setting or a combination of all?

I do know the quality of finish is vastley improved.

beckley23
06-19-2004, 09:23 PM
The Diamond Tool Holder looks a take-off of the box turners and roller turners used on turret lathes and screw machines. All they did was change the method of holding the cutter and eliminate the rollers or box supports.
Harry

Bob Quale
06-19-2004, 10:23 PM
So what kind of depth of cut are you actually taking?

Bob