PDA

View Full Version : Bike %^*&$

Evan
06-19-2004, 02:52 PM
Went to take the bike out of the garage and checked the tire pressures since the back felt soft. Put in air. @$%$%$%)(*(& %^$^& (*&&*((!!!!!!!!!!

A spoke has broken and the end puctured the tube. Good thing is it is a ten minute job to remove the back wheel. Now, I know the wrap over the spokes is ancient. I will need to replace it with what I have on hand. Electrical tape? Duct tape? I do have on hand some of that uncured black rubber tape that welds to itself but I am sure it will weld to the tube also.

Suggestions?

Dave Opincarne
06-19-2004, 03:02 PM
Yea, replace the spoke, debur the holes in the rim, and get new spoke tape from the bike shop. In a pinch try some athletic tape. Dont ride with a broken spoke, you'll taco your wheel!

Dave

Mike W
06-19-2004, 03:05 PM
Put on a thin layer of electrical tape and then the black rubber stuff. That way you can get it off if necessary. I am not a bike tech. I haven't ridden one since I was........13? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Dave Opincarne
06-19-2004, 03:08 PM
My brother's a bike mechanic and I've got several grand in bike's. I don't recomend the black rubber for the reason you theorized.

Bob Quale
06-19-2004, 04:17 PM
Use the correct rubber band for the rim. Lots of new bikes have spoked wheels, the rubber band is available. If you get impatient and muck it up, you will spend all day unmucking it! and maybe another punchured tube.

Bob

ibewgypsie
06-19-2004, 07:18 PM
What is more important, is there rust scale in the wheel? them rubbers seem to collect rust flakes that ruin tubes.

I thought your bike had mags?

Mine? well the tanks look so good I hate to bolt them onto a Mangy DOG.. I am cleaning it up.. maybe going to do a frame mod before I hit the road again with it.

David

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 06-19-2004).]

wierdscience
06-19-2004, 08:01 PM
I used to slit the center out of another old tube,even has the hole for the valve stem.

CCWKen
06-19-2004, 08:07 PM
And I bet you threw out all those tie-bands from the Harbor Freight boxes, didn't you. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

RobDee
06-20-2004, 09:22 AM
I have a couple of racing bikes and I use the fiber based wrapping tape. It has worked well over many years, rims and miles.

topct
06-20-2004, 11:02 AM
I would suggest that while you have the wheel off carefully inspect all the other spokes. If one is busted there will be others that are not far behind. Remove all the rust flakes, as said they will ruin a tube. Also you should consider having the wheel retrued. An old bicycle tube would be a source for the band. One other thing, if the back wheel is loosing or breaking spokes the front should come off and be inspected also. A flat back tire while riding is one thing, a flat front is death.

Evan
06-20-2004, 12:00 PM
Yep, found six bad spokes. I have to special order them since this is a rare bike. They only made a couple of thousand of them in 80 and 81. I checked with the dealer about having the wheel respoked. I don't think so, they want $200. The fiberglass tape sounds like a good idea or I will just buy a band.

The front is just fine. This type of bike is known for breaking spokes on the rear, it's the big single (400cc) that does it.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 06-20-2004).]

BillB
06-20-2004, 12:02 PM
Like RobDee I use the reinforced packing tape, mostly becausae it's the lightest alternative. You might want to put an indicator on the rim & do a bit of truing... where there's one broken spoke there are usually other problems as well.

BillB
06-20-2004, 12:02 PM
Like RobDee I use the reinforced packing tape, mostly becausae it's the lightest alternative. You might want to put an indicator on the rim & do a bit of truing... where there's one broken spoke there are usually other problems as well.