PDA

View Full Version : OT? for Evan on DSL

NAMPeters
06-20-2004, 10:53 AM
I need to replace some splices/junctions in the internal house wiring that carries the DSL service. The finger type of joint just is not reliable enough and was wondering what type of joint to replace with? Screw strip block, wire nut, solder joint etc? Any suggestions would be apreciated, thanks,

------------------
Neil Peters

Evan
06-20-2004, 12:09 PM
It doesn't really matter as long as the connection is a good one. The phone company uses little button connectors that you put the line wire in and smash down the button with pliers or a tap of a hammer. The little bitty crimp connectors will work fine.

Ryobiguy
06-20-2004, 01:13 PM
Another thing to keep in mind with DSL wiring is that any additional pair(s) of wires hung off the phone line can degrade the DSL signal. The electrical properties of the wires spliced in parallel ("bridge tap") sort of add an echo to the signal, making it harder for the DSL modem to listen.

I don't know if the short runs inside the typical home would make REALLY make much difference. Sometimes (in the old days) the phone company would have some long bridge taps, and sometimes they remove them nowadays for DSL subscribers.
I've got my DSL router plugged into the phone line right on the other side of the wall from where the phone comes inside. Following that (going to my phones,) is an inline DSL filter, so that the DSL frequencies don't see the rest of the house as a bridge tap, and also so there's no off-chance of having the phone pick up any DSL interference.

What's kind of funny is that an additional reason I picked the house to buy that I did was the distance from the phone company's CO, so I could get high speed DSL. (Not too surprising I suppose since I program the software that runs on the little DSL router.)
Back in the winter, I got 8000/800 kbps, but now it's only at 6000/600. I guess I can't complain, as it's still better than the overpriced ISDN/IDSL at my old house, but I'm definately a DSL snob now. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Evan
06-20-2004, 01:30 PM
Interesting thing about ADSL is the optimum distance from the central office is NOT as close as possible. The best distance is around 1 to 1.5 klics. At that distance the signal strength is optimum. I just wish they would offer SDSL since I run a web server.