PDA

View Full Version : Making a spring, from drill rod?

goodscrap
07-29-2015, 01:03 PM
is it possible to make a spring, a bit like an old fashioned Diaper or nappy pin, but wondered if drill rod can be used, and heat treated if needed?

Looking to use 1/16" diameter, anyway I'm looking for a fairly small movement, around 1/2" at the free end of a 2" leg length.

Brian

boslab
07-29-2015, 01:14 PM
Yes, purple temper, works well
Mark

RWO
07-29-2015, 01:59 PM
W1 would be better than O1 since it is basically straight hi-carbon steel. After forming the spring from regular commercial rod, harden per standard procedure. and temper to about 600 deg. F. Double tempering usually offers a better chance of success. Put one leg in the vise and bend the other per your requirements. You will either have a spring or you won't.

RWO

Euph0ny
07-29-2015, 02:16 PM
is it possible to make a spring, a bit like an old fashioned Diaper or nappy pin, but wondered if drill rod can be used, and heat treated if needed?

Looking to use 1/16" diameter, anyway I'm looking for a fairly small movement, around 1/2" at the free end of a 2" leg length.

Brian

A 1/16" nappy pin! Are you making an accessory for your kilt?

Music / piano wire would probably work.

Paul Alciatore
07-29-2015, 02:57 PM
You can make a spring from almost any solid substance. The main trick is not to exceed the elastic limit.

goodscrap
07-29-2015, 03:37 PM
Cheers fellas, I'll give it a go, reason for using drill rod is that I need one leg to be a close tolerance to size for a flexible alignment tool and drill rod Is the right size without extra work.

TGTool
07-29-2015, 05:39 PM
You can get wire already hardened and tempered from suppliers like McMaster Carr

http://www.mcmaster.com/#music-wire/=y9nd1l

Just wind and go, though durability would be improved by a subsequent tempering which you can do in the kitchen oven. .063 is a listed size. I don't know how tight you tolerance is, but the wire is called at +- .001 and drill rod would be a little tighter than that.

kf2qd
07-29-2015, 05:51 PM
You might also be able to find it at your local hobby shop. Used various sizes all the time in model airplanes.

Paul Alciatore
07-29-2015, 07:42 PM
Ditto!

You might also be able to find it at your local hobby shop. Used various sizes all the time in model airplanes.