PDA

View Full Version : OT - San Francisco trip pics and time lapse

macona
07-30-2015, 10:18 PM
Drove down to the bay area to deliver some lasers and pick up some power supply parts up for my e-beam gun. Stayed three days and here are the pics and the time lapse I did at Hawk hill.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/67292116@N00/sets/72157656556533942

https://www.flickr.com/photos/67292116@N00/sets/72157656556497312

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PixtBEhtOU4

Willy
07-31-2015, 12:19 AM
Great collection of photos,very nicely done, thanks for posting those.
What are you using to get the infrared effect on the photos in your first link?

Also you have a nice time interval between shots for the scenes and subject matter in the time lapse video, are you using a separate intervalometer or does your camera have that capability built in? What is the time interval between shots in that video?

boslab
07-31-2015, 12:26 AM
Wow, that was clever, problem is now I want to go there, but I'm on the wrong side of the Atlantic.
Never mind 11 hours in cattle class or 2 months paddling, the choice is hard, beautiful bridge
Mark

macona
07-31-2015, 12:36 AM
The infrared was done with an IR modified Pentax I did a few years ago: http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/47691-Pentax-dSLR-conversion-to-Infrared?highlight=pentax+k10d

The time lapse was done with my Canon 5D Mark II with a 17-40L and a Nikon 200mm Micro lens. The intervalometer was done with the MagicLantern firmware add-on, I used 10 second durations for the sunset, 3 second for the bridge shots and 9 seconds with 8 second exposure on the last long clip.

This was my first trip to SF proper, the last couple times I was down there was mostly in the San Jose area. I have a friend who just got hired on at Autodesk so I got a tour of their facility and they have some VERY shiny toys.

It's a nice town but the roads are terrible and the people drive like blind ferrets on meth. Did I mention the roads are terrible? I thought I was going to need bead locks on my tires.

PStechPaul
07-31-2015, 12:39 AM
Nicely done. I was there in 1970.

aostling
07-31-2015, 12:56 AM
It's a nice town but the roads are terrible and the people drive like blind ferrets on meth. Did I mention the roads are terrible? I thought I was going to need bead locks on my tires.

There are no potholes in San Francisco. What road are you referring to?

Willy
07-31-2015, 12:56 AM
................It's a nice town but the roads are terrible and the people drive like blind ferrets on meth. Did I mention the roads are terrible? I thought I was going to need bead locks on my tires.

Been a while since I was there, looks as though things haven't changed much.:)

Thanks for the time lapse details and the link.

macona
07-31-2015, 02:13 AM
There are no potholes in San Francisco. What road are you referring to?

I hit a pretty hard pothole on embarcadero. All the areas around had very rough roads, at least compared to here. Stuff was bouncing everywhere in my cab. Several times my radar detector was knocked down from the windshield. The roads were very uneven and not flat. One of the worst spots I found was over on I880S in oakland int he first long stretch after the bay bridge, the pavement was incredibly wavy with a real long period. It darned near reached the resonant frequency of my suspension. Looking at a tuck next to me he was going through the same thing

Mike Amick
07-31-2015, 02:59 AM
Wow .. some of those look awful familiar. Just a bit a go I was looking at some time lapse software for the
phone and I swear, they were using your one of the fog as an example. Prob wrong .. but sure looked it.
Maybe its a popular time lapse spot.

aostling
07-31-2015, 03:59 AM
I hit a pretty hard pothole on embarcadero. All the areas around had very rough roads, at least compared to here. Stuff was bouncing everywhere in my cab. Several times my radar detector was knocked down from the windshield. The roads were very uneven and not flat. One of the worst spots I found was over on I880S in oakland int he first long stretch after the bay bridge, the pavement was incredibly wavy with a real long period. It darned near reached the resonant frequency of my suspension. Looking at a tuck next to me he was going through the same thing

I was on The Embarcadero last week. It was my birthday and we were a party of nine, including five relatives visiting from Oslo. We spent two hours in the Exploratorium at pier 15, and did not see even half the exhibits. My two little grandnieces where thrilled by their first visit to America.

We missed that pothole.

We also took them down 22nd St, which I have always thought was the steepest street in the city. Between Church and Vicksburg, 22nd St. has a 32% grade. At least I thought it was the steepest -- according to this http://www.7x7.com/arts-culture/real-top-10-list-steepest-streets-san-francisco there are some significantly steeper streets. I am going to have to check those out on my next visit, especially Bradford with its 41% grade.

Many assume that Lombard is the twistiest street in the City. There is a twistier one on Portrero Hill: Vermont, as it snakes down to the industrial flatlands. There, I have seen potholes, on streets which are virtually abandoned.

San Francisco is only 47 square miles, roughly seven miles square. I have been exploring it for much of my adult life, and I still find places I never knew existed. I love the complexity of it all.

RB211
07-31-2015, 02:33 PM
Lived there for three years, loved the experience but will never do it again

aostling
07-31-2015, 09:09 PM
Lived there for three years, loved the experience but will never do it again

Expand on this a little. What neighborhood, and why never again?

RB211
08-01-2015, 11:15 AM
Lived on the corner of Fell and Webster, few blocks away from the "Painted Ladies" and "Upper Haight". I used to fly for Flight Express, which moved me from Florida to Oakland. Almost right away, I met my wife in San Francisco. Lost my job, but stayed for my relationship with my future wife. Moved in with her, and experienced city life for the first time. In my heart however, I like the country, and the last thing I ever want to do is have to base my schedule based upon street cleaning!
We rented a flat on Fell St, and had two other couples and a single person as room mates. We were paying over 1000$ just for our bedroom, and this was on a 10 year old lease, with rent control. The person who has it now, I would expect that he is paying over 5,000$ a month. The google bus drives right past the place.
I met many people there, I grew as a person, and most importantly I met my wife. I was an extremely active member of the Golden Gate Live Steamers, I was a partner in a startup business that never materialized, and I even took my first steps in becoming a Free Mason. I did an extraordinary amount of major things in a very short period of time. I really loved my time there, I deeply miss the GGLS, and miss the amount of opportunity. It was also nice only having to walk 10 minutes and have access to any ethnic food I wanted.
I do NOT miss how crowded it was, fighting for parking spaces, **EXPENSIVE**, strangled financially, city life in general, and all the pan handlers who I am pretty sure made more money in a year than I did.
I also liked having free health care with "Healthy SF".
I also did not like all the mentally ill people walking around the city, often times masturbating in public at the parks.

Yes, I am thankful for the experience of meeting friends, my wife, growing as a person, and seeing a part of the country that I swore my entire life I would never live in.
Will never do it again, except to visit.
My quality of life in Florida is a million times better. I make about 60k a year as a Jr regional airline captain, and have a brand new house with a two car garage that is my machine shop. My mortgage for this house is the same I as I was paying for just that bedroom with a bunch of self entitled hipsters as room mates. To have this same house in San Francisco, with the same quality of life, I would think that I would need to make around 400,000$ at a minimum.

While you visited San Francisco, did you go visit the Jeremiah O'brian? It is especially nice to go see when they are running it, and you go down to the Engine Room and see that massive steam engine running.

aostling
08-01-2015, 12:14 PM
While you visited San Francisco, did you go visit the Jeremiah O'brian? It is especially nice to go see when they are running it, and you go down to the Engine Room and see that massive steam engine running.

Oddly enough, I don't think I have been aboard. I walked past it last year when I was doing research in the Maritime Museum library at Ft Mason, looking at blueprints for the walking beam engine on the SS Eureka.

I love engine rooms. In 1960 I crossed the Atlantic on the SS Stavangerfjord, which had quadruple expansion steam engines. I was nineteen, and had just completed my first year as an ME student. The engine room crew ignored my presence as I gazed at the machinery in clamorous motion.

Tundra Twin Track
08-01-2015, 03:38 PM
My wife and were their 85 on honeymoon and 05 for 20th anniversary,had good time lot's to see.Enjoyed the Pics.