PDA

View Full Version : OT-13 thimgs mentally strong people don't do!

flylo
08-01-2015, 07:59 AM
Heard this on the radio then looked it up, I bet many of us fit many of these. Let me know what you think.:p

Mentally strong people have healthy habits. They manage their emotions, thoughts, and behaviors in ways that set them up for success in life. Check out these things that mentally strong people donít do so that you too can become more mentally strong.
1. They Donít Waste Time Feeling Sorry for Themselves

Mentally strong people donít sit around feeling sorry about their circumstances or how others have treated them. Instead, they take responsibility for their role in life and understand that life isnít always easy or fair.

2. They Donít Give Away Their Power

They donít allow others to control them, and they donít give someone else power over them. They donít say things like, ďMy boss makes me feel bad,Ē because they understand that they are in control over their own emotions and they have a choice in how they respond.

3. They Donít Shy Away from Change

Mentally strong people donít try to avoid change. Instead, they welcome positive change and are willing to be flexible. They understand that change is inevitable and believe in their abilities to adapt.

4. They Donít Waste Energy on Things They Canít Control

You wonít hear a mentally strong person complaining over lost luggage or traffic jams. Instead, they focus on what they can control in their lives. They recognize that sometimes, the only thing they can control is their attitude.

5. They Donít Worry About Pleasing Everyone
Mentally strong people recognize that they donít need to please everyone all the time. Theyíre not afraid to say no or speak up when necessary. They strive to be kind and fair, but can handle other people being upset if they didnít make them happy.

6. They Donít Fear Taking Calculated Risks

They donít take reckless or foolish risks, but donít mind taking calculated risks. Mentally strong people spend time weighing the risks and benefits before making a big decision, and theyíre fully informed of the potential downsides before they take action.

7. They Donít Dwell on the Past

Mentally strong people donít waste time dwelling on the past and wishing things could be different. They acknowledge their past and can say what theyíve learned from it. However, they donít constantly relive bad experiences or fantasize about the glory days. Instead, they live for the present and plan for the future.

8. They Donít Make the Same Mistakes Over and Over

They accept responsibility for their behavior and learn from their past mistakes. As a result, they donít keep repeating those mistakes over and over. Instead, they move on and make better decisions in the future.

9. They Donít Resent Other Peopleís Success

Mentally strong people can appreciate and celebrate other peopleís success in life. They donít grow jealous or feel cheated when others surpass them. Instead, they recognize that success comes with hard work, and they are willing to work hard for their own chance at success.

10. They Donít Give Up After the First Failure

They donít view failure as a reason to give up. Instead, they use failure as an opportunity to grow and improve. They are willing to keep trying until they get it right.

11. They Donít Fear Alone Time

Mentally strong people can tolerate being alone and they donít fear silence. They arenít afraid to be alone with their thoughts and they can use downtime to be productive. They enjoy their own company and arenít dependent on others for companionship and entertainment all the time but instead can be happy alone.

12. They Donít Feel the World Owes Them Anything

They donít feel entitled to things in life. They werenít born with a mentality that others would take care of them or that the world must give them something. Instead, they look for opportunities based on their own merits.

13. They Donít Expect Immediate Results

Whether they are working on improving their health or getting a new business off the ground, mentally strong people donít expect immediate results. Instead, they apply their skills and time to the best of their ability and understand that real change takes time.

Baz
08-01-2015, 08:20 AM
Sounds like the sort of drivle you get from management gurus - the sort of obnoxious pontificating blogs Linkedin keeps pointing me too.

Black Forest
08-01-2015, 09:00 AM
The basic premises are spot on as far as I am concerned. If a person is not as successful as they would like to be then they should go down the list and notice which ones they are not adhering to.

13. Is my hardest one to go by. I want things to happen fast. I will work for them but I do get impatient. Please God grant me patience but do it right now!

J Tiers
08-01-2015, 09:33 AM
It's a partial list, and doesn't include some of the most important things......

Baz is looking at it somewhat rightly..... and shows mental strength......

I always am amused by these things..... "mentally strong"..... Who can argue against THAT? It's OBVIOUSLY important, and if you don't fall into line and march behind those who stated the "rules", you must NOT be mentally strong..... you WEAKLING....

Be our obedient followers and be mentally strong without having to think!

vpt
08-01-2015, 09:47 AM
I fail almost half of those. But their "reason" for why you shouldn't isn't the same for me on all of them.

I go against the grain, its more exciting.

HWooldridge
08-01-2015, 09:51 AM
Clearly written by an INTJ...:cool:

Mcgyver
08-01-2015, 10:17 AM
Sounds like the sort of drivle you get from management gurus - the sort of obnoxious pontificating blogs Linkedin keeps pointing me too.

yeah these things are kind of motherhood lists.....but that doesn't mean they're not good reminders. The listed things are all good aspects of attitude we'd do better to have than not - if one can't see a few items on the list you'd do well to remind yourself of, read it again.

RussZHC
08-01-2015, 10:22 AM
BIG fail for me on #4, #7, #9.

Lu47Dan
08-01-2015, 10:49 AM
Most likely written to be used to beat college kids into submission, if they do not agree with all those points than the professors fail them.
If you followed all of them then you would be easily lead.
Dan.

lakeside53
08-01-2015, 11:11 AM
I think this list is pretty good!

tyrone shewlaces
08-01-2015, 12:08 PM
Can't say I disagree with any of that. I notice that the short expansion following each of them points to a bit of a balance. To maintain all 13 in a balanced way, all the time, would take a "13th order" meditative guru to pull it off. So I would say a mentally strong person will try to strive for those things when they can. To actually be a person who does all that as a matter of course would be a bit of a superhero.
I would add that a guy could claim one or a few of those facets to live by and miss the rest and be a typical jerk or CEO or the like, so I would add #14 to be that a mentally strong person strives to master the previous 13 at all times, then adds another 13 to work on, etc.
So maybe it's as it always was and it could simply be #1. A mentally strong person never thinks he's quite got it all figured out.

Lee Cordochorea
08-01-2015, 04:21 PM
I much prefer the lists of "strive for" over the lists of "avoid."

Also, what does the term "mentally strong" actually mean? Are we talking "mental fatigue strength" or "mental yield strength" or "breaking point?" Can we compensate for a lack of mental strength by increasing our mental cross-section?

I've only read two psychology books, but neither one mentioned "mental strength."

flylo
08-01-2015, 06:39 PM
The basic premises are spot on as far as I am concerned. If a person is not as successful as they would like to be then they should go down the list and notice which ones they are not adhering to.

13. Is my hardest one to go by. I want things to happen fast. I will work for them but I do get impatient. Please God grant me patience but do it right now!

You're right I'm impatient too. I honestly tried to learn it but gave up. My problem is now there are many things I have to hire help to do & I get so POed at the way or lack of how they work, no work ethics at all. I'm not had to work for or demanding. I just want it done right, on time & the way I said, what's so hard about that. I want it done like I would do it, the right way, on time & I always give a little extra. The list fit me wellso I just past it on, if you like it don't readit, or agree with it. But this is what I tried to instill in my sons.

Forestgnome
08-01-2015, 08:37 PM

Must've hit a nerve. Sounds spot on to me.

A.K. Boomer
08-02-2015, 09:43 AM
It does sound pretty solid in allot of ways...

on any given day Im pretty good with most things mentioned, but #3 is a mixed bag for me - I do not like change - with allot of things I get in a rut and stay there, find stability, I like to be the one to make the decision to climb out of said rut and mix things up... or jump right into another rut,

Even the Gurls at Subway know this, I just made the switch from turkey to tuna, don't really know what set it off but I think iv been on turkey for about a year and a half,,, 2 or 3 weeks ago it was tuna out of the blue, then they go "oh boy here we go --- out of one rut and into another, Jen --- cut back on the turkey and order extra tuna for at least the next year"... lol

so yes 3 is my weak point with what's mentioned and 4 and 5 depending,,,

I got #10 #11 and #12 down pat although with #11 I do not know if they would still be calling it "good" with the level in which I take it,
people are an interruption to me for the most part, I enjoy company once in awhile then enough is enough - generally takes too much energy to hang around others and interrupts my thought patterns and I seem to value them allot more than others to the point of having to break away, I typically enjoy hanging around my Dog much more, that's when we can tolerate each other,,, very independent pooch that way too, off in her own little world most of the time and really seems to value her own space. is what it is... and is very good.

That being said #9 does not even enter the equation for me, I almost don't even understand the example, I really do not ever even "go there" just by nature...

7 is a wild card - generally smooth sailing but I can and have gotten "derailed" and thrown back into time, seems just a matter of time and things correct themselves again, I do believe that's somewhat healthy to have past perspective even if you go heavy into it and dwell awhile, I think it can not only be the catalyst for change but also great learning, as long as you eventually pull out within reason.

if you don't allow for it at all you are depriving a normal process and risk the chance of becoming a robot...

all that being said, I take nothing for granted and realize this is all in the luxury of "smooth sailing" and at any given day could be disrupted by forces well out of my control and change many of views just mentioned either both temporarily or permanently - I am after all a realist... all "rules" are subject to change...

A.K. Boomer
08-02-2015, 09:54 AM
So maybe it's as it always was and it could simply be #1. A mentally strong person never thinks he's quite got it all figured out.

That my friend is a good one to add.... and in fact i was searching for a way to say that...

Well said...

ed_h
08-02-2015, 10:28 AM
I suspect that "mentally strong" people don't pay much attention to these kinds of lists.

Ed

John Stevenson
08-02-2015, 10:29 AM
Total bull****.

For two reasons.

[1] if you have the time to read a 13 ? point bullet list you are wasting too much time.

[2] Most on this list are advancing in years, hell some are even decaying in years and if you have got to where you are in life now then no stupid PR bullet list will make you change at this point.

Didn't read the list, life's too short but wouldn't be surprised if part of it didn't read

"Who's going to OWN this project ?? "

Linkedin ??? Cross between the masons and the KKK

hermetic
08-02-2015, 11:24 AM
Clearly written by an INTJ...:cool:

LOLS!! from another INTJ

loose nut
08-02-2015, 11:46 AM
It's somebody else's idea of what a "good" personality is and not necessarily good for everybody or anybody.

A.K. Boomer
08-02-2015, 12:02 PM
It's somebody else's idea of what a "good" personality is and not necessarily good for everybody or anybody.

totally true no "one size fits all"

but in general some pretty good stuff,
not too mentally tough people I know of who go around being a "victim" all the time blaming "everyone else" and can't lift a finger cuz they are too busy "feeling sorry for themselves" because they are continuously in "envy" of how the "Jones'es" "have it better" yet are to "afraid" to take the initiative to "change" any of it because they have never had any real successes due to "giving up after the first attempt and failure" and wanting "immediate" positive results anyways because after all the "world owes them" that much anyways ---- right?...

so they latch on to an "enabler" due to being to uncomfortable with themselves to ever be alone due to subconsciously knowing they are a spineless "douchebag" but must be ok because they found another pathetic soul that kinda might "accept them"

see how crystal clear it all looks when you flip it around? could you ever make the statement that that is an overall "mentally tough" person...

No further questions...

dp
08-02-2015, 01:01 PM

I don't think it says that at all. It begins by declaring a person type of "mentally strong". Missing from that declaration is what "mentally strong" means, and it's not even important. But there is no suggestion of good or bad regarding the members within the type nor of the type compared to other unnamed types. It then goes on to say that people of type "mentally strong" share 13 common characteristics. These 13 characteristics do not define "mentally strong" but does suggest one is not mentally strong if they lack any of these characterists. It does not suggest or imply that this type has no other characteristics - only that the type tend to have these 13 characteristics. It requires additional information to determine if individuals that share these 13 characteristics have "good" or bad personalities. Moreover, and unstated, is that these 13 characteristics may be a subset of other types that could, for example, include pathological criminals or empathetic care givers. Even within the "mentally strong" type these two personalities may co-exist. No way to know.

There is also no way to know what is meant by "mentally strong" from the OP which pretty much leaves us all to just go "hmmm", and move on with our day. And my post probably means I'm INTP. :)

1-800miner
08-02-2015, 04:05 PM
Mine is a list of two.
1 God, please give me the courage to change what I can and the patience to put up with the rest of the bullshut that can't be changed.

2 Never accept the answer "no" from someone that doesn't have the authority to say "yes".

John Stevenson
08-02-2015, 05:29 PM
Mine is a list of two.
1 God, please give me the courage to change what I can and the patience to put up with the rest of the bullshut that can't be changed.

2 Never accept the answer "no" from someone that doesn't have the authority to say "yes".

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/coaster.jpg

AD5MB
08-02-2015, 07:25 PM
sounds like something Mike Rowe would endorse, and Michael Moore would sneer at.

substitute independent and dependable for mentally strong, it works fine

CalM
08-02-2015, 07:33 PM
So If I don't do these 13 things, will mental strength come?

I think not.

The Chicken or egg question has deeper meaning than this one.

flylo
08-02-2015, 07:43 PM
Mine is a list of two.

My wife had the normal version on her mirror when we were married & I've strived for it since. I never when buying or sell say no or ask a closed ended question & never leave without asking what else have you got. It works!

flylo
08-02-2015, 07:47 PM
It's just a simple thing I found & posted, no big deal. Although I think if you disagree or don't like it you get an F in mental strength. Don't worry I won't tell & am sure the web will delete your answer LOL!:cool:

mike4
08-02-2015, 07:56 PM
Most of us must be doing something right , because we are still walking and and breathing .

Some own their own businesses , work for themselves, make enough money to get by , others just sit around trying to decide if something is safe to start or do .

You decide what fits , I have , and have made it a policy of not wanting to please everyone and wanting to really piss some off so that they dont come back to waste my time again.

Doesnt always work , customers even bad ones have a habit of coming back if your work is good.
Michael

boslab
08-02-2015, 10:45 PM
I know mental people, I know strong people, and a few sociopaths too for good measure, I suppose they qualify for mental, strong and the added bonus that they really don't give a ****e what anyone thinks provided they get their own way, oh and they're all charming too
Mark

J Tiers
08-03-2015, 12:02 AM
#14... They do not take these lists, nor the personality type labels too seriously, nor do they let such things limit them.

AD5MB
08-03-2015, 08:44 AM
I have worked on military bases for 43 years. this list describes everybody I work with, and nobody I know who does not work.

Mike Rowe would give it a thumbs up, Michael Moore a thumbs down, and R. Lee Ermey would say, "Well, yeah, jackwad!"

I like to cross post things like this at ham radio, badass biker and gun forums. wait, compare, contrast. wall to wall likes at badass biker and gun forums, whiny hissy fits from the ladies on my ignore list at the ham radio forums

J Tiers
08-03-2015, 10:03 AM
I have worked on military bases for 43 years. this list describes everybody I work with, and nobody I know who does not work.

Mike Rowe would give it a thumbs up, Michael Moore a thumbs down, and R. Lee Ermey would say, "Well, yeah, jackwad!"

I like to cross post things like this at ham radio, badass biker and gun forums. wait, compare, contrast. wall to wall likes at badass biker and gun forums, whiny hissy fits from the ladies on my ignore list at the ham radio forums

Liking it might mean you are just a very easily led person.

Not giving a rats a$$ about it would be different...... nor giving a rats a$$ if anyone else likes it, or you. If I like me, that's good enough for you.

Yes, I AM playing with your mind.

A.K. Boomer
08-03-2015, 10:41 AM
JT relax buddy - people just wakin up mun...

J Tiers
08-03-2015, 11:24 AM
JT relax buddy - people just wakin up mun...

I see it's working!

A.K. Boomer
08-03-2015, 11:51 AM
what the burr up your butt making you irritated again? yeah no real surprise there...
do you ever have one "good" day?

John Stevenson
08-03-2015, 07:33 PM
what the burr up your butt making you irritated again? yeah no real surprise there...
do you ever have one "good" day?

Of course he does.

There was that day a few years ago when............................. damn what was it ????????????????

lakeside53
08-03-2015, 08:36 PM
14. If you don't have anything good to say, don't say it. ;)

flylo
08-03-2015, 11:33 PM
Liking it might mean you are just a very easily led person.

Not giving a rats a$$ about it would be different...... nor giving a rats a$$ if anyone else likes it, or you. If I like me, that's good enough for you.

Yes, I AM playing with your mind.

Think that's covered under #5

Paul Alciatore
08-04-2015, 11:25 PM
Probably some wisdom there but I don't think that anyone should be too worried about how they fit or do not fit in the list. To each his or her own.

As for myself, I probably take #13 too far. There are some projects that I have been working on for way too long. Just ask my wife.