PDA

View Full Version : OT- Vinyl or Plastic

rws
08-04-2015, 01:05 PM
What would be used to make the slip on covers shown in the photo?
http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3788684.0;attach=9 48155;image

I remember seeing a can of stuff that you dipped pliers handles in to give them a coating, but I doubt that is the same is this. Of course you wouldn't use the actual scope to do this, but a "dummy" piece maybe?

RWO
08-04-2015, 01:32 PM
I think your idea would work. I think both materials are PVC, heavily plasticized. The factory version is probably injection molded. Yours will tend to shrink over time as the solvent evaporates. You might be able to accelerate the process by baking the part under moderate heat after each layer is formed by dipping.

RWO

macona
08-04-2015, 01:47 PM
They are probably made the same way condoms are made, a mandrel is dipped in the plastic and then allowed to cure.

Those caps are very common, you can get them from places in a variety of sizes.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#push-on-caps/=ycnjv1

rws
08-05-2015, 07:04 AM
macona, thanks, those look good, but I really don't need to buy 50. I was wondering about the actual material to use. I could turn a dummy mandrel and make a couple of each size.

Beazld
08-05-2015, 08:00 AM
You could use PET the stuff soda/water bottles is made of. Make a mandrel the size you want, doesnt have to be fancy, a wood dowel would work. Cut the end off a bottle, stick the dowel in and hit it with a heat gun. The bottle will shrink around the mandrel. Then cut to size. For one offs works a treat. I make canopies for RC model airplanes with this method. Bottles come in different thickness and colors so you have a lot of choices.

Juiceclone
08-05-2015, 08:18 AM
you might try the stuff u dip tool handles in ...I think it's called plastidip ?..several coats to the thickness desired maybe saran wrap over the mold so it comes off easy ?

rws
08-05-2015, 08:44 AM
I was thinking the same thing, plastic wrap over the dummy piece for a release. I'll pick up a can of the dip stuff and try it. I didn't see where there is a wait time for doing a second dip. Since it air cures, I would think it needs to set before the second dip.

lynnl
08-05-2015, 09:15 AM
When I lost the covers of an air rifle scope, I found the lid from a Prestone antifreeze bottle fit perfectly on one end. A similar lid fit the other end, but I don't remember that source.

flylo
08-05-2015, 09:55 AM
If you want flip ups check CDNN I think they're 2.99 ea.