X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lynnl
    • Jan 2002

Silver solder & Cast Iron

I was told by a guy at a welding shop that a silver soldered cast iron repair is NOT a good idea. That comment surprised me. And I kinda think he just really didn't want to take it on. The job in question needs to be done very precisely, and without slopping any excess filler material into the inside bore.
    So I thought I'd poll the collective wisdom here for opinions.

This is to repair a drill press spindle sleeve (about 7/8" OD, and maybe 9/16" ID). It's cleanly broken around the circumference.

Lynn (Huntsville, AL)
  • Evan
    • May 2003

You need the right stuff like this:

SSF-6 high-strength 56% silver solder rod. Cadmium free silver solder brazing rod. Flux coated rods: ideal for brazing cast iron parts
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• lynnl
      • Jan 2002

Have you (or anyone here) used any of that?
      Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

• Forrest Addy
        • Oct 2002

BS. Cast iron silver brazes superbly once the surface carbon is bead blasted away. Flux and braze immediately afterwards.

Don't etch, don't grind, don't file, don sandblast except as a preliminary joint prep operation. Fine media bead blast last. The tiny grits remove the distribited graphite from the surface leaving behind the iron which wets and takes silver.

Comment

• lynnl
          • Jan 2002

If I flux both surfaces and then clamp into position (just tight enough to hold the position dependably), will the silver wick into the joint? Or should I tin the surfaces first?
          Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

• Mike W
            • Jan 2004

I silver solder bandsaw blades. It wicks into the joint quite well.

Comment

• J Tiers
              • Jan 2004

It will wick fine.

It follows heat, so let the heat sneak up on the solder through the part you want to solder. Then it will suck in perfectly.
              CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
              Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
              Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
              I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
              Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• Paul Alciatore
                • May 2002

The ad Evan referenced says,

"1" of our high content silver solder will flow 18"--the only silver solder manufactured with this capability".

Exactly what does this mean?

Paul A.
                Paul A.
                s
                Golden Triangle, SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

• Evan
                  • May 2003

I expect it means the molten alloy has very low surface tension and flows extremely easily.

Comment

• Ragarsed Raglan
                    • Mar 2002

lynnl,

I would normally always use a cast iron repair rod with a high nickel content. Silver brazing is just that....brazing, a correct C.I filler rod and flux will give you a joint as good as the original parent metal - if not better. My bet is that a brazed joint (any brazed joint come to that!) will always fail prior to the parent metal failing; the only exception to this may be a nickel bronze brazed joint when applied to high tensile steel tubing. Then the failure will usually be in the parent metal in the austenitic/martenitic phases out from the joint boundaries.

RR

Comment

• lynnl
                      • Jan 2002

Hey RR, we've missed your inputs. Good to have you back.

But I'm a little confused. You say '...will give a joint as good as original parent metal - if not better...' But then you continue and say '...will always fail prior to the parent metal failing..'
                      Is your first comment only applying to that "...cast iron repair rod with a high nickel content"?

Lynn

(added later) Oh, I think I misinterpreted RR's comment. I was reading that high nickel rod suggestion as a brazing rod, not as an arc welding rod.

[This message has been edited by lynnl (edited 06-11-2004).]
                      Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

• Evan
                        • May 2003

The problem with arc welding cast iron is the high temps involved. Silver brazing uses temps below 1000آ° and is much less likely to crack the cast iron or decarburize it locally. Some of the silver brazing alloys are stronger than the cast iron. I built a Can/Am race car for a client back in the 70's including the motor mount frame and front suspension frame. They were made from 4130 tube and the client specified that they be brazed instead of welded. Apparently it produces a structure that will withstand repeated shock and vibration better than welding that alloy. I'm not sure as I totally agree with that as I used to torch weld aircraft control column assemblies and they were certified no problem.

Comment

• lynnl
                          • Jan 2002

A big problem I'm gonna have doing this is having only propane torches to heat it. Doubtful I can bring it to brazing temp with just one torch. The plan I'm working on is to preheat the whole thing in the oven, then rush it out to the garage (maybe 10 steps away) and put it in an inverted bucket with cutouts for two torches. Maybe the bucket will help retain enough heat to make a difference. Of course I'll make some trial runs beforehand. Anybody else ever do something like that? (successfully?)

I've wanted an oxy-acet rig for a long time, but just hate to give up the space for storing it. Been tempted to get one of those little outfits sold for the refrigeration/HVAC crowd, but afraid I'd find the small capacity too frustrating.

I do have a forge tho and some coal/coke. Have though about using that, but it seems like that would burn out all the flux. Or possibly burn up my part if not careful. Any experiences in brazing/soldering that way?
                          Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

• Evan
                            • May 2003

Lynnl,

It won't work with propane torches. Not hot enough for the type of brazing alloy you need to use.

Comment

• lynnl
                              • Jan 2002

Well I've successfully silver soldered other items ok. Tho none with quite as much mass as this.
                              Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Working...
                              X