PDA

View Full Version : Very OT long term trailer storage

Rosco-P
08-08-2015, 03:51 PM
What would be the best practice to preserve the tires on a trailer stored outside? When to sub-rent a trailer mounted generator for a project I'm working on as mine is too small. Good thing I checked it out the day before the job, as one tire was low with a cracked valve stem and another of the four had signs of dry rot. Owner called a mobile tire service which recommended that a second tire be replaced as well. Cost him over $400 to have two two tires replaced, before he was able to make a dime off the rental. Then we found that he had let both truck batteries go totally flat.... Anyone using a solar panel power battery maintainer?

flylo
08-08-2015, 04:44 PM
Take 'em off & store them inside. I used a panel up north & golf caf betteries lasted 12+ years.

Rosco-P
08-08-2015, 05:05 PM
Take 'em off & store them inside. I used a panel up north & golf cart batteries lasted 12+ years.

Good advice, but I doubt he'll listen. Probably buy into installing a solar powered battery maintainer, but putting the trailer up on blocks between jobs will be tough sell. He'll argue that he wants the generator ready to go....which it obviously wasn't. In the end, it's his loss.

Lu47Dan
08-08-2015, 06:11 PM
To save the tires cover them with a heavy canvas tarp or a rubber tarp. Than for the batteries install a Battery Tender. Park the equipment where it can be plugged in. I have a friend who has two heavy trailers that he uses once or twice a year, he keeps the tires covered up the tires are about 8 years old.
For batteries I have several friend I helped install water tight in use outlets near where they park the equipment and have had very good luck with the battery tenders.
Dan.

AD5MB
08-08-2015, 07:37 PM
Anyone using a solar panel power battery maintainer?

using a battery minder 15 amp on a truck at work. start it once a month, battery works fine

using a 5 amp panel and a Chinese controller on my VW van. works fine

flylo
08-08-2015, 07:50 PM
I must have a dozen HF 2 amp trickle chargers for $3.99 or maybe $4.99 now & thew work fine.

Rosco-P
08-08-2015, 07:51 PM
using a battery minder 15 amp on a truck at work. start it once a month, battery works fine

using a 5 amp panel and a Chinese controller on my VW van. works fine

This particular genset has a 24VDC electrical system, 2 truck batteries for starting. Would you use two systems or find one for 24 volt? There's no power where the guy keeps it parked and that's not going to change, so solar is a must.

wierdscience
08-08-2015, 10:52 PM
I put one of these on our crane at work-
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006JO0TC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

The key feature here is that it's water proof.The smaller ones aren't,so if it's outside in the rain,or even in the window of a damp cab the smaller ones won't fare to well.

I can vouch for the 2.5 watt dash mount ones also,we have one on our box truck at work.Truck was bought new in 01' and currently has the factory batteries installed that have required zero maintenance since new.The terminals have never even corroded.

wierdscience
08-08-2015, 10:57 PM
Quick search reveals this,a bit more money though-

http://www.chargingchargers.com/solar/bsp1024-lss.html

Rosco-P
08-09-2015, 07:34 PM
Thanks everyone, I'll pass the information on. If the owner declines to invest a little money now, he'll certainly be investing a lot more down the road when the genset needs to out on a job again. Despite the problems, I still made money on the job, but due to the cost of two new tires, his profit was much less.