PDA

View Full Version : OT: Southeast Old Threshers Reunion

Cecil Walker
06-14-2004, 02:10 PM
Is any one going to the Southeast Old Threshers Reunion in Denton NC June 30 - July 4. If so maybe we could arrange to meet and have a Diet Pepsi or something.

lynnl
06-14-2004, 03:11 PM
Educate me a bit. What are Threshers? (old or otherwise)

Hmmm, I seem to remember a farm term dealing with threshing. Is that it?

Doc Nickel
06-14-2004, 03:48 PM
Here's one (http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-usn/usnsh-t/ssn593.htm)!

Doc.

Evan
06-14-2004, 04:20 PM
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/award97/ndfahtml/ngp_farm_threshing.html

lynnl
06-14-2004, 05:13 PM
I guess that's what evolved into combining huh?

Sounds like an interesting get-together. I always enjoy the 'Antique Tractor and Machinery Show' that makes the weekend circuit here in the Tennessee Valley in late summer and fall. But I looked Denton up on the map and that's a bit too far to travel for me.

alcova
06-14-2004, 11:11 PM
I was around a thresher run by a steam engine back in 71, was 10pm and you could still feel the heat from that bugger at 100 yards...would have hated to have to work around one them in 100° heat of summer

Walt

Jaymo
06-15-2004, 09:32 PM
Cecil, Do you have any kin from/in Selma, Alabama?

Cecil Walker
06-16-2004, 10:25 AM
Jaymo, to my knowledge I have no relatives in or around Selma. I am from Tenn. originally and did live in Huntsville, Al in the 1970's.

Jimmy
06-16-2004, 10:34 AM
Not threshers but somewhat related, here is my new old engine website:

http://www.oldengine.org/members/sherman/index.html

Jimmy

lynnl
06-16-2004, 11:45 AM
Are you in Selma Jaymo?
I was stationed at Craig AFB (1973-77). One of my favorite assignments.

Now I'm in Huntsville. (Double coincidence??)

Lynn

[This message has been edited by lynnl (edited 06-16-2004).]

Cecil Walker
06-16-2004, 12:33 PM
Jimmy, amazing coincidence. I also have Foos, Hercules, and FM engines and Gilbert & Barker, Bennett, Frye, and Erie visible and Clock Faced Gas Pumps. Enjoyed your web site.

PolskiFran
06-16-2004, 09:41 PM
Jimmy,
I thought that Foos looked familiar. Nice article in GEM on the Foos. Congrats on a job well done.

Frank

Jimmy
06-17-2004, 09:55 AM
Thanks, it was a lot of fun seeing it run for the first time.

-jimmy

Samuel
06-17-2004, 12:09 PM
also as a reminder for any of you guys in or near Oregon, the great Oregon steam up is the last weekend in July, just outside of Salem.. among other things they have a steam powered saw mill, lots of gas antique engines/tractors.. a vintage " tractor pull" a truck museum, with what is clamed to be the lathe that alot of the prototype work for the cummins diesel was turned on and more! was lots of fun last year

Samuel

charlie coghill
06-17-2004, 09:33 PM
Samuel
I usually try to attend the steam up at Brooks. This year I will be attending a steam boat meet at Wheeler the third week end in Auguest and probably will not drive north twice in one month.
Charlie

Samuel
06-17-2004, 10:25 PM
Charlie,

maybe next year, I usually can be found at the pub nearby cooling off with a dark one.

Samuel

Jaymo
06-22-2004, 12:50 AM
lynnl, no, I'm first generation Georgian. The rest of my family is from Mississippi, Alabama, and Tennessee.

Cecil, I was just wondering if you were related to the late Ralph T. Walker, gunsmith and owner of Walker Arms in Selma.
Used copies of his books, 'Hobby Gunsmithing' and 'Blackpowder Gunsmithing' are what really sparked my interest in gunsmithing. I later got a first printing of Roy Dunlap's 'Gunsmithing' which also turns my crank, but Ralph's personality really seemd to come through in his writing. I really wish I could have met him and thanked him for writing my two favorite books in the world. I reread them on a regular basis. Seemed like he was a heckuva guy. He was very knowledgable, and his writing style was both easy to undrstand, and fun to read.

No, I don't work on other peoples guns. It's just a hobby for me. I'd like to do it for a living, but life has a way of interfering.