PDA

View Full Version : Hiding, but where ?

John Stevenson
08-24-2015, 07:34 PM
Spent a good hour today looking for my ball turning tool, need to make some radiused rollers. Can I find the bally thing ? I know where it should be, I know what sort of box it is in but can I find the damn thing ?

Anyway after wasting well over an hour I picked the phone up and ordered a new one. Should have done that within ten minutes as I wasted more than a new tool costs.

So tomorrow I'll put it in a nice box and put it away and hopefully it will be at the side of the other one http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/ckeditor/plugins/smiley/images/wink_smile.gif
Not a complete waste as if the first one does show up then Gert MKll can have one for her lathe.

Toolguy
08-24-2015, 07:57 PM
Should have asked Deb right off. She probably has it or knows where it is! :rolleyes:

oldtiffie
08-24-2015, 08:30 PM
Been there done that John - and probably not unlike quite a few here am still doing it and getting worse as I get older.

I do like the positive approach and outcome .

And when does your good lady start in the shop on her lathe?

Well done and best wishes.

tyrone shewlaces
08-24-2015, 08:31 PM
If you find my tile drill bits under your stuff somewhere will you let me know? I've been thinking I'll stumble across them for the past couple weeks. The stuff must be under the level IV cleanup layer.

Mcgyver
08-24-2015, 08:36 PM
....and by the time it arrives you'll forgetten what you needed for and just tuck away somewhere until you remember

met a guy who 3 or 4 of everything who offered up that explanation. I believe him. Never seen a place like, no woman's influence and every room in the house ended up packed with engineering or hobby stuff of one kind or another. Of course many would think thats a good thing :)

A.K. Boomer
08-24-2015, 09:00 PM
SJ,,, are you still keeping up the appearances in the shop? or perhaps were going back into your old habits of slothism ???

I know right - im one to talk - but this isn't about me right now it's about you... ---------- ?

mickeyf
08-24-2015, 11:30 PM
I was going to suggest that you buy or make a new one to force the old one to appear, but you got there ahead of me...

tyrone shewlaces
08-25-2015, 12:15 AM
met a guy who 3 or 4 of everything who offered up that explanation. I believe him. Never seen a place like, no woman's influence and every room in the house ended up packed with engineering or hobby stuff of one kind or another. Of course many would think thats a good thing

I don't remember meeting you but it sure sounds to me like you've taken my nickel tour. :D

wierdscience
08-25-2015, 12:18 AM
Did you look in the kitchen?That's where I lose stuff,thread gauges,micrometers,cordless drills and what not.

NiftyNev
08-25-2015, 03:27 AM
Here's a tip. When looking for something and can't find it quickly, then look for something else, then you will come across the first thing you were looking for. Works for me sometimes.

John Stevenson
08-25-2015, 04:15 AM
SJ,,, are you still keeping up the appearances in the shop? or perhaps were going back into your old habits of slothism ???

I know right - im one to talk - but this isn't about me right now it's about you... ---------- ?

No shop is quite tidy to say it's a working shop. One area is a bit of a mess where I have a lathe in pieces fitting DRO, tailstock DRO, and a bit of sanding down ready for a quick flash over to clean up.

The radius turning attachment is a bit of a mystery. It has it's own box, one thats easily recognisable, and has always lived on a shelf at the back of the lathe. Doesn't get used much.
If it hadn't been put away then the box would be on the bench but that gets cleared a few times a week.

Only need to make 4 rollers @ 17.5mm radius in nylon. 15 minute job to do it with the attachment and probably 1 hour to do it on the CNC lathe as got to remember how to program it. The wizards in Mach don't do a concave radius on the length of a bar.

Probably quicker to grind the radius on the end of an old file for 4 off. In fact think that's what I'll do

Circlip
08-25-2015, 06:34 AM
Hang on, what happened to the boring head???

Regards Ian.

John Stevenson
08-25-2015, 08:01 AM
Hang on, what happened to the boring head???

Regards Ian.

Sold it, got an all singling, all dancing boring and facing head now but the bracket went with the old head.

All may not be lost, parcel just arrived from the purveyor of shiny goods in Leicester, yoo hoo, more toys.

Mark Rand
08-25-2015, 08:50 AM
If it's the purveyors in Archdale St, won't you be needing to fit it to a C3 so that you can then attach the C3 to your lathe's toolpost?

John Stevenson
08-25-2015, 10:18 AM
No you need one of these Gismo's to add on to it.

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/imagecache/be74be84-810b-468a-94b6-2d9a8d68578b_600x193.jpg

Ironically enough, made by some ugly bastard in a shed not too far from where I'm typing.

Can't use the C3, Debs has it in her kitchen.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/Debs%20kitchen.jpg

Toolguy
08-25-2015, 10:25 AM
Best looking kitchen I've ever seen!!!;)

RichR
08-25-2015, 11:16 AM
Best looking kitchen I've ever seen!!!;)

Though you English do have some strange looking appliances over there, like that oven and microwave under the counter.

radkins
08-25-2015, 11:17 AM
Just happy to know I'm not alone, I swear I can lose a tool standing in one spot!

chucketn
08-25-2015, 12:01 PM
Just happy to know I'm not alone, I swear I can lose a tool standing in one spot!

With said tool in my hand...

Chuck

Dave C
08-25-2015, 12:54 PM
My wife wanted to send a pic to my daughter, to reinforce her belief that I can never leave anything as purchased. She said my bench really needed a makeover. I told her that it looked fine to me.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e370/Alliycat/My%20Lathe/20150715_162232_resized.jpg (http://s43.photobucket.com/user/Alliycat/media/My%20Lathe/20150715_162232_resized.jpg.html)

She won.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e370/Alliycat/My%20Lathe/DSC00176.jpg (http://s43.photobucket.com/user/Alliycat/media/My%20Lathe/DSC00176.jpg.html)
I'll have to admit that the 3/4" slab of HDPE had seen better days. This Battleship linoleum is a lot prettier, but now I can't find a damned thing.

Paul Alciatore
08-25-2015, 03:16 PM
Those that can, DO!

Those that can't, clean up.

I think I am going to print that up in BIG letters and hang it on my shop door.

Norman Bain
08-25-2015, 04:13 PM
John,

Perhaps a rat got your ball turnining thingy and listed it here.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ball-turning-attachment-Lathe-/262009739535?hash=item3d00ff590f

Sure does look purdy.

Cheers,
Norman

radkins
08-25-2015, 04:15 PM
I try to keep a clean well organized shop, my shop is fairly small at 14'x24' and I try to utilize every inch of it to organize tools, all that isn't occupied by a machine anyway. Still even with trying to remember to place things back where they belong and having many square feet of peg board to store tools out where I can see them I doubt there's not a day goes by that I don't spend (waste) a lot of time hunting for something that shouldn't be lost!

John Stevenson
08-25-2015, 04:16 PM
Right, got me new toy, bolted it to the bracket and looked at what it had to do and it wouldn't.
I need to do a concave radius on the length and not the end. Not enough clearance so back to the drawing board and two stand off's later we have this.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/internal%20radius1.jpg

Tool is leading the pivot point by 17.5mm to give a radius of 17.5mm as these rollers run on a 35mm rail.
Rollers were all marked out with a parting tool and then went along and put the radius on, then drilled and parted off.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/internal%20radius2.jpg

Didn't take an hour to make the rollers but I lost more than that looking for the old one and making a new bracket.

And no, I did put this one away and the old one wasn't in the same place .......................sigh.

Dave C
08-25-2015, 04:22 PM
Woohoo! That's a lot of stick out on the tool bit. Looks like it worked OK though. Nice job.

John Stevenson
08-25-2015, 04:35 PM
Yes it is a lot, good job it was nylon. Can't see that setup doing steel. :p

Mind you enough meat on the bracket to fit two jacking screws, one under, one over the tool. That would make it better.

FETOAU
08-26-2015, 08:03 PM
About a year ago, I bought a small turnbuckle for a project. Several weeks later, when I finally got started on the project, I could not find the turnbuckle.

I looked and looked to no avail. My wife noticed my displeasure and asked me what the problem was. So I explained that I had looked everywhere for the turnbuckle except for the ceiling. As I told her this, I looked up at the ceiling and there it was. It was then that I remembered that I had gotten her a gravity fed steam iron and wanted to test it before I did a permanent install for her and the new turnbuckle happened to a handy part to hang it.

Lesson learned: Now when something is missing the first place I look is the ceiling.

Puckdropper
08-26-2015, 10:59 PM
I'm just waiting for Sir John to report he found the old one. Replacing the old one seems to be the fastest way to find it.

I bought another hammer after looking all over for the first, and then quickly found it... in the one place I didn't look. Still not quite sure why it was in the utility room, but it was... It was only after about a week or so of having the new one, too.

Richard P Wilson
08-27-2015, 04:21 AM
A few months ago I spent several days making a 127/135 compound gear, and put it 'somewhere safe' till I needed it. When I needed it, I couldn't find it, so spent another couple of days making another one. A few days later, I found the first one, in the cupboard where I thought I'd put it and I swear I'd searched at least twice looking for it.
More recently I bought 2 cylinder liner sealing rings, and promptly lost them. I had to buy 2 more, which I fitted before I could loose them, but the first 2 haven't turned up yet.

boslab
08-27-2015, 06:33 AM
You don't only loose your faculties when you get older, you loose everything you put down too
Recently heard, the first half of your existace life gives you stuff, the second half it takes it back, bit at a time, I'm beginning to think that's true
Mark

John Stevenson
08-28-2015, 10:24 AM
Should have asked Deb right off. She probably has it or knows where it is! :rolleyes:

Give that man a prize.

Was talking to Debs on the phone today and mentioned I'd lost my ball turning attachment and she say's

You brought it up here with the little C3 lathe "

@#~'?/*7%%$+

So she has gone one..........................................:o

bob_s
08-28-2015, 11:55 AM
Give that man a prize.
...:o

A ball turning attachment would be apropos.

Toolguy
08-28-2015, 01:02 PM
Nice offer John. No worries, I already have one I made a while back.:)

Now she can make you some brass balls for Christmas!:p

ahidley
08-28-2015, 01:05 PM
Clumbsy bastard!!!!

Baz
08-28-2015, 01:17 PM
You need to teach her to read this forum - then she'd know what you were up to.

MichaelP
08-28-2015, 01:23 PM
I'm trying to imagine a look on my wife's face if I ask her where my ball turning attachment is...

oldtiffie
08-28-2015, 10:35 PM
You need to teach her to read this forum - then she'd know what you were up to.

How do you know she does not read this forum?

I would not be the least bit surprised if she reads it regularly.

I would not be the least bit surprised if she was already well acquainted as she'd know how not just John but a lot of others here besides "were up to".

I'd be sure she can quite well speak for her self.

I am looking forward to her posts.

Baz
08-29-2015, 06:46 AM
If she reads the forum she would see John was looking for his tool and would surely have told him. More likely she is busy in her 'kitchen'.
BTW swarf generator next to washing machine :eek: itchy scratchy undies.

J Tiers
08-29-2015, 07:32 AM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e370/Alliycat/My%20Lathe/DSC00176.jpg (http://s43.photobucket.com/user/Alliycat/media/My%20Lathe/DSC00176.jpg.html)

You need to raise those drawer setups so they can open OVER the stuff that will be on the bench. About a 2x 4 width is about right for me, ymmv.

Rosco-P
08-29-2015, 08:17 AM

I would not be the least bit surprised if she was already well acquainted as she'd know how not just John but a lot of others here besides "were up to".

Oldtiffie's wife reads the forum as well. How else would she know that he's "binned" another tool and she needs to retrieve it to sell on the Aussie Fleabay?

Dave C
08-29-2015, 12:48 PM
You need to raise those drawer setups so they can open OVER the stuff that will be on the bench. About a 2x 4 width is about right for me, ymmv.
Over the years I've changed their height each time I replaced the bench top. No matter how high I set them, there was always something that blocked the one drawer I needed to get into. I finally decided to place them flat down on the bench top and deal with any obstructions. That way I'm not having to stand on a stool to reach the junk stacked on top of the drawer units. The linoleum wont take the punishment of previous tops, so I'll limit the size and weight of items that get worked on there from now on. The heavy stuff will be relegated less delicate benches.

oldtiffie
08-29-2015, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by oldtiffie

Oldtiffie's wife reads the forum as well. How else would she know that he's "binned" another tool and she needs to retrieve it to sell on the Aussie Fleabay?

Wow!! you sure do know a lot about what my wife knows - perhaps more than I do actually.

You would do well to ask - instead of "tell" - what she does or knows with regard to the computer, the shop and its contents.

Neither of us sells anything at all on "Aussie Fleabay" - at all - and we buy stuff on it at most twice (or less) a year.

I asked her about her using the computer and knowing what is in the shop and how and when I buy or replace (i.e. "bin") stuff.

She advised that she knows nothing about what you say she knows - and she cares even less.

She has her own "stuff" and never uses stuff in the shop without asking - so that we can see what stuff she needs and how she intends to use it, if and how I can or might help etc. and that stuff goes back where it belongs and if it has a cutting edge that I sharpen it before I put it away in its designated place

But she has ample stuff of her own and can get more if and when she needs to buy it.

She can "bin" her stuff as she decides and/or if we can't repair it.

Its pretty well a true "Joint venture" here.

I hope this helps.

I have tried to ensure that if you are none the wiser that you are better informed.

I only suggested that John S's good lady may or may not do - not what she does do - as regards her use of this forum.

Originally Posted by oldtiffie View Post

But I suggest that if you have an interest there that you direct them to John Stevenson - not me.

I am really looking forward to posts here from John Stevenson's and his good Lady in their joint venture - in which I wish them very well - with regard to this forum.

Rosco-P
08-29-2015, 10:32 PM
Damn, she is one clever and quick thinking lady. Her innocent act certainly pulled the wool over your eyes.
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/pull+the+wool+over+eyes

She doesn't use your shop computer, said the keyboard smells like old man.
She's got her own iPad for that.
She rides on the wireless connection of the nearest neighbor when out in the back garden.
Well away from your prying eyes.
Her Fleabay id is Old-tiffies-better-half.
She a very prompt shipper, packs well and ships quickly.
She managed to stone smooth all the nicks you put in you large rotary table when you 'binned it.
I got a jolly good bargain on that one.

oldtiffie
08-29-2015, 11:10 PM
Damn, she is one clever and quick thinking lady. Her innocent act certainly pulled the wool over your eyes.

She rides on the wireless connection of the nearest neighbor when out in the back garden.
She managed to stone smooth all the nicks you put in you large rotary table when you 'binned it.

Damn, she is one clever and quick thinking lady.

You got that true enough.

It seems that you are very close to calling her a deceiver - not so.

Her innocent act certainly pulled the wool over your eyes.

She does not use a computer - any computer - at all - period.

Wrong - dead wrong - she has a plain "phone calls only" mobile (i.e. "cell") phone which she rarely uses - perhaps two call a month in and out.

She is not a wireless thief either.

We always know where each other is - usually together.

She does not have an eBay account - says she doesn't need it.

Wrong - dead wrong again - see previous.

Yep - you paid nothing because you got nothing.

Not doing very well at all - are you? Or haven't you or can't you realise that at all either?

Have a nice day.

Rosco-P
08-30-2015, 08:02 AM
Not doing very well at all - are you? Or haven't you or can't you realise that at all either?

It seems that you are very close to calling her a deceiver - not so.
She is not a wireless thief either.

Have a nice day.

Wasn't trying to impugn your wife character. Just having a bit of a go at you.
You're waay too serious oldtiffie.

oldtiffie
08-30-2015, 08:18 AM
Things may well have been a bit different if you'd said that to may face as I'd have taken it a lot further - legally - at least - as you did impugn my wife's character - seriously - and I take that dead seriously - very.

Can you imagine what may well have happened if I'd showed her your posts?

Did and/or did you care?

I certainly did.

It is not a matter to be laughed off.

Remember it.

Rosco-P
08-30-2015, 08:23 AM
Things may well have been a bit different if you'd said that to may face as I'd have taken it a lot further - legally - at least - as you did impugn my wife's character - seriously - and I take that dead seriously - very.

Can you imagine what may well have happened if I'd showed her your posts?

Did and/or did you care?

I certainly did.

It is not a matter to be laughed off.

Remember it.

Duly noted and my apologies to you and your wife.

oldtiffie
08-30-2015, 08:53 AM
Your apology noted and accepted.

Wherestmywrench?
08-30-2015, 11:41 AM

Don't mean to ruffle any feathers but from reading this thread oldtiffe YOU instigated the exchange between you and Rosco-P. You made comment about what a another members wife was aware of and doing. By doing so you made you and your wife fair game for comments in this thread. I suggest you refrain from such comments if you do not wish to be treated likewise. Also if you didn't like the members kidding about there own spouses it was NOT your place to say anything. That's their business not yours. Personally I never would have apologized to you, after all YOU put your wife in the harms way by posting. Remember what goes around comes around.

John Stevenson
08-30-2015, 11:43 AM
You need to lighten up Tiffie or go back into posing mode.

I though what Rosco posted was damn funny and was posted as being funny.

No need to threaten anyone with violence or legal twoddle, it's a hobby forum after all.

[Edit]
Wheresmywrench posted whilst I was fumbling and said it far better.

Black Forest
08-30-2015, 02:53 PM
"Things may well have been a bit different if you'd said that to may face as I'd have taken it a lot further"

Oldtiffie has a Stiffie! WTF!!

Mark Rand
08-31-2015, 08:54 PM
Bugger the insulted pride. One of the things on my to-do list is complete documentation of all the things in the shed, so that Nettie/the domestic management can describe and sell them for best value on fleabay/John's lad's site etc. when I pop my clogs.

I won't be able to spend the money where I'm going (except for the furnace), but she should get as much as she can.

thaiguzzi
09-01-2015, 01:08 AM
Ditto. Hopefully my son will want to keep and use his dad's workshop intact, but if not, at least he'll have descriptions and ballpark figures.

John Stevenson
09-01-2015, 06:07 AM
To get back to the original thread.

I was up at Debs place over the weekend and yes sure enough it was there, You can actually see it in the photo of the kitchen, black box, top shelf.

But why did I even take this up there in the first place ???? OK she uses the lathe but in very simple mode and none of the things she does warrants a radius ? The lathe is mainly used to pre-op work for the CNC mill, facing, centring etc

Ah well, no real harm done, I got a new one before the customer started squawking and we now have one each.
One of my current background jobs at the moment is going through drawers and cupboards and sorting out bits that I have bought / acquire etc over the years that I know I will never use and dispose of them. More to reduce clutter, make space and make things easier for the Final Transition ™

These are being sold off / given away to people who I feel can make more use of them. Some have been scrapped but in all fairness these are things like jigs from long ago that even I can't remember what they are for. I won't keep myself short just to say I'm doing a good job, in fact I'm still buying all the while.

Bought a 30" Multiformer last night as I need a good flat shear for the laser engraving material but that will probably release a couple of guillotines for sale.

One weight may be off my mind in that Debs is very conversant with tools and can look in a drawer and if it's a conventional tool,know what it is and soon find a value for it. As she is 9 years younger than me, chances are it will all go to her anyway, one never knows.

The only thing I have earmarked in my workshop for anyone on this forum is my set of clamping bolts. These I will donate to Tiffie as from all the photo's ever posted by him on this site he doesn't have any.

I have come to the conclusion that this is why he only ever posts posed pictures of setups and has never actually done or made anything as he can't fasten anything down.

So Tiffie this is what you may be getting

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_1466.jpg

http://www.micro-machine-shop.com/clamping_kit_0.5_inch.jpg

http://www.velvet-art.co.uk/photos/546463046_MsRBF-XL.jpg

http://guideimg.alibaba.com/images/shop/85/10/29/2/proxxon-24256-step-clamps-set-mill-drill-kt70-mf70-fit-slots-on-xy-table-machine_875962.JPG

http://enginuitysystems.com/pix/tools/T-Nuts_1397.jpg

http://millingaccessories.biz/wp-content/uploads/100_pc_5_8_Slot_1_2_Stud_HOLD_DOWN_CLAMP_CLAMPING_ SET_KIT_for_BRIDGEPORT_MILL_04_bdo.jpg

http://www.germantools.co.uk/tools/475173_l.jpg